General got the wrong prop, need right hub

sarconastic

I am in the process of putting together my rc trainer. I just got the motor and esc today and mounted the motor up. grabbed the prop I ordered and got last week and all work stopped. Being new I just went roughly by the specs given by tony on the sheet. I ordered a 10x8 prop that had the same dimensions on the hub as the motor I ordered.. I was wrong apparently. The motor I got is an A2212/1000Kv 13T with a match 30A chinese ESC. I know they are cheap. and if this works out I will upgrade to something much better.

I ordered an E-flite EFLP1080E prop. My problem is two fold. First is the ID is too large. The second is the hub is too thick. I thought I checked all these numbers but I messed up somewhere. The motor hub that came with the motor has a.187" (3/16") shaft diameter, about .500" (probably 1/4" usable when the nut is on) of usable bolt before screwing on the cone, and its setup for a .125 motor shaft, even though the motor shaft on mine is actually .115 ( assuming 1/8"), The prop I got has a .238 - .245" (assuming undersized 1/4") center hole and the hub is .500" thick by itself. So no room for the nut to screw on even if I could adapt the center hole with a bushing.
20131203_135729.jpg
Also the second dilemma is that I think it is too long for my application. I added landing gear to mine and want to be able to do take offs and landings, but when the tail does come up for take off it puts the prop within an inch of the ground or less. I could probably shorten a prop but bet there is a better way to do that using the ground. Plus the prop I got looks Waaaaay to beefy for this little plane.
20131203_135837.jpg

So I guess I have a couple questions that need answered.

1. Can I go down to an eight inch or even a 6" prop,
  2. If so what pitch should I get for slow flying, re-learning, flyablility and not to overwork my ESC and motor.
  3. would it be better to match it to my hub or to get a different hub?

Part numbers / Model / Company would be great. Something I could get from Amazon using Prime would be even better. I want to be flying this thing yesterday. LOL

Thanks

Woody

20131203_135729.jpg

20131203_135837.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Wow, that prop does look massive on there. You can try an 8x5 prop or somewhere in there. I don't think I would use a 6x4 or anything under 8" on this plane though. The 10x6 is a starting point. I would go down to your LHS and see if they have the props you need. I would take your prop adapter with you to make sure it's going to fit. I only use APC props which are a gray color and really like them. If you need to order them, do so from amainhobbies. That is where I order everything pretty much. Make sure it says "Thin Electric".

Products Matching apc propellers - A Main Hobbies

sarconastic

I ordered 2 different props. they didn't have an 8x5 in thin Electric, only in Sport. So I ordered an 8x6 and an 8x8 and we'll see what happens. I see these have hub size adapters included. the one I ordered didn't have them at all. I am going to Omaha on Thurs. afternoon but don;'t know if I have time to go to the hobby shop. we;ll see. We live 80 miles from there and it is hard to get up there at times.

Thanks Tony for the response.

WOody

sarconastic

Update. I go the APC props and they work on the hub...barely. Not a lot of thread sticking out on the hub I got. But it is tight and snug on the motor shaft and spins up ok. WHat hubs do you recommend/use on your 1/8" shaft motors.

Woody

Top Bottom