Got a new toy.

murankar

Staff member
Let me be clear, it's not a toy. This is the real deal.

It's a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm. I have been looking at this for about a month. Then I got it in my hands. Man I am in love, my new girl friend.

I went to a law enforcement Smith & Wesson dealer. O had to show my military ID to get in. I left the store with the fire arm with 2 extra mags for $10 less than everyone else without the two extra mags. I also built a small range bag for it. So for now I feel great even though the Gaui is still down. That heli is next.

IMAG0126.jpg

IMAG0126.jpg

murankar

Staff member
Both. This firearm is very nice and compact. The barrel is 3.5 inches and the widest part is at an inch. This is a single stack striker style 9mm. There is a 40 model of this weapon but unless you have good control I would advise against it. The 40 has a lot more "kick" than the 9. So far I am pleased. Now I need some range time.

Tony

Staff member
If I do this, I'm getting the G33. Has as much stopping power as a .45 because of a much higher muzzle velocity. Never could get into S&W's. I'm a Glock man through and through.

murankar

Staff member
Everywhere I looked locally did not have a compatible model in glock. I went to atwells (the law enforcement glock dealer) and they wouldn't have one till March. I may end up with a glock at some point. Until then it's S&W Shield.

One thing I found in my research is that the Shield has been handling 5000 rounds plus. Not sure how valid these claims are. Now one thing is common is that the rebuild maintenance dies not occur till after the 5000 round mark.

Now my only point of reference is the Military Beretta 9my. I hate that firearm and do not enjoy firing it. I do not like that single / double action ordeal. What I am liking so far is the consistent trigger pull and at 6.5lbs this feels light.

I hope to go out next week for the break in shooting.

Tony

Staff member
Glock has a 5.5lb pull and to me, it's heavy.

One thing to remember, the 357 sig and the .40 use the same clips. The only thing you need to change is the barrel. Which is one reason I love that caliber. I carry a G21 and love it. For a .45, this thing is like pulling the trigger on a smaller caliber. But the muzzle flash... My instructor when I was going through CLEET stopped everyone and asked what ammo I was using because I was tossing 2' flames out of the end of my gun lmao. Lit up the whole shooting range.

You should come down here and shoot. I have some rounds I need to squeeze off. lol.

murankar

Staff member
Once I get back on my feet. I hope to get out to a range next week. Can't thus weekend because of the kids.

murankar

Staff member
Today I finally got a hold of someone at the Sheriff department for Lake County Ohio. Great news, no ccl/chl classes for me. I get to save $120 for my CCW/CHL permit. All I need is my application, $67 for processing fees, my Discharge paper work and my range card. Man life just got good.

My 2 babies
IMAG0132.jpg

IMAG0132.jpg

Last edited:

callsign4223

Staff member
Nice, 50 rounds for my baby cost me $35 for the cheap walmart crap. My choice to shoot a .357 sig, but still makes me jealous when I see the price of other ammo.

murankar

Staff member
Yeah 9mm is cheap regardless of what you get. Even defensive rounds are comparatively cheaper. Federal was $13.99 a box for range rounds and when they go on sale they drop to 9.99 a box. After thinking of it the 100rd boxes cost more than what I got. Then again those were a different brand. the 100rd boxes were $35 a piece.

murankar

Staff member
IMAG0134.jpg

Today was the first time shooting this pistol, the first time since June firing a pistol and I think it's low and to the left. Just like me, LMAO.

30 minutes at the range and 200 rounds later. Today's focus was breaking in the pistol and getting used to it. Plus I wanted to see how far off my sight picture is.

IMAG0134.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Are you sure you are not pushing the pistol? I always used to shoot low and to the left as this target is showing. My sights are spot on and once I learned to "let the gun surprise you", I stopped pushing down and to the left. What is happening is you are pushing the trigger (meaning you don't have your finger squarely on the trigger) and you are anticipating the recoil causing you to drop your arms at the very last millisecond.

That shot to the right has me thinking....
bpkqgc.jpg

bpkqgc.jpg

murankar

Staff member
I am anticipating for sure. This is the first time shooting this gun. Its something that can be fixed with more range time. Plus my grip was not what it should have been. I found myself leaning back instead of forward behind the pistol. Had to deal with the recoil because my form was crap. The one to the right was me not paying attention to the break. The way low shots on the head was me trying to speed up the rhythm of my cadence. It was towards the end of the session and just wanted to have fun.

My next trip to the range I will add my snap caps to the mix anf see whats up. I just wish I had someone to load the mags so I don't know when they will come.

Last edited:

callsign4223

Staff member
If you have multiple mags then load them both at the same time with a few caps each. Swap them around a bit. You'll still know they are coming, but you won't know where in the stack they are if you aren't sure which mag is in the well.

murankar

Staff member
That's what I was going to do the next time. I already know its a twitch I just need to work on it. I think the snap caps will help fix that. I have 5 snap caps and 4 mags. What sucks is one mag is 7 round and the others are 8. I can load the three 8 round with snap caps and work it that way. If I load the 7 round I'll know when it's coming unless someone else loads the mags.

Tony

Staff member
If you are at a range, I'm sure the guy behind the counter (if an indoor) or someone else there (if outdoor) would be more than happy to load you up. I have done it for many people when doing misfire training (tap rack bang).

murankar

Staff member
Point blank is setup into two indoor ranges. Red and blue both are separated. Each range has one rso. I am not sure how friendly the clientele is. I will make an attempt this weekend I hope.

Top Bottom