Prop Got a great deal and I'm getting a Hyperion P-51D Mustang 25e

RandyDSok

All e RC is having a great clearance sale and because of it... I felt I couldn't pass up getting the 2011 Hyperion P-51D Mustang 25e for just $107.95 USD... The only scheme they had left ( and I'm very happy with ) is the Speedball Alice version... The ARF has a 47.5" wingspan and has a fiberglass fuse. ...

This wasn't the only Hyperion ARF they have on sale, but it was one that I've had my eye on since the day I dumb-thumbed my previous Mustang in on approach when a gust caught it and rolled it to the right... my brain knew it needed left aileron but the fingers went right anyway.

While this could be a great spring time project... it may have to wait if my business doesn't pick up soon.

View attachment 4461

Tony

Staff member
I'm going to guess this was at the "other" field where there was a nasty downward wind when coming in from the north? Any way about it, that is a nice P-51! Can't wait to see it in the air. As for business, I know what you mean...

RandyDSok

On the lost P-51D... it was at the CORC's field actually... I had just turned south ( by the Loyd's parking lot ) for an approach to land and crossed over the bar ditch next to the road... I was a little low, perhaps 30 ft or so and a slight breeze caught it and just rolled it a little... the rest was all thumbs and I rolled it in the same direction instead of countering it as I should have...

View attachment 4462

Tony

Staff member
Yup, same place that I almost crashed my Extra 260. There is just a horrible down draft there that likes to push planes into the ground. Those trees that surround the field cause the wind to whirl around and are unpredictable. Either way, looks like you have a great kit to get started on.

wolfman76

nice kit real good price can't wait to see it in the air maybe i get my p-51 in the air at same time too would be nice...

RandyDSok

Thanks all...

I've been researching the motor and servo's I want to use based on the recommended equipment. The motor is going to be an easy one... the Motrofly DM2825-950 will be an excellent alternate I believe. The servo's ... are another story. The suggested Hyperion's have a lot of torque for their size... in fact they exceed many servo's that are larger even. I'll have to see what the model will accept in size to see if I have any leeway to select from larger servo's or not... if not, I'll be getting the Hyperion's as suggested.

Tony

Staff member
Yeah with the control surface sizes on that plane, you wouldn't need an excessive amount of torque to fly the plane.

RandyDSok

Yeah with the control surface sizes on that plane, you wouldn't need an excessive amount of torque to fly the plane.

You would think so but their recommended servo has the following attributes....

metal gear version
size - L29.5mm x W13mm x H27.7mm
Torque - 7.2kg-cm@4.8v and 8.4kg-cm@6.0v ( 100.0 oz-in@4.8v and 116.7 oz-in@6.0v )
speed - .20 sec@4.8v and .16 sec@6.0v

The nylon gear version is slightly less torque but is faster

small package but massive torque for either type

Tony

Staff member
Yeah it is, that is way more than I would think you would need. I don't even think my 50" edge has that much torque lmao. And the controls on that thing are way bigger. I'm sure you know and agree, but i would go with the metal gear just for reliability. Yes, plastic may be a little faster, and not as much play in the gears, but metal can withstand a crash and has more life than plastic gear. Again, you know this, just posting for others.

RandyDSok

The Hitec HS-85MG ( what I have in my 51" Slick ) provides less than 1/2 the torque than the Hyperion DS13-TMC for only $5 more... so they are reasonably priced considering their specs... and yes, I had thought it would take something like the HS-85MG... perhaps they just selected these because of their size and it didn't have anything to due to the strength of torque...

If nothing else, the mechanical retracts can certainly use the torque even if it may be overspec'd for the control surfaces ( maybe )

Top Bottom