Setups Good way to start FPV

Stambo

I have been itching to do some FPV for ages. I've had the gear for a while and have just mounted it on my 450 size quad and had my first flight. A little scary but I'm hooked.
To get used to the goggles I hooked everything to a cheap RC car and went to the local schoolyard for a play.
Then I put it on my Turnigy Trailblazer truck (bought for this purpose as the nicad pack in the car died. I repowered it with a 3s 2200 but that's another story) and drove it around my yard for a while.
I strongly recommend doing something like this to get used to the goggles before you put something in the air.
You don't need to go all out crazy like I did but FPV is fun on a truck with some get up and go.
Jumping from FPV perspective is crazy mad fun too. :)

And if you have never done FPV use a chair, the body seems to get fooled into thinking you are moving and a degree of motion sickness may result. Ask me how I know. :)

Derek

I think that's a great idea...using an rc car/truck. Very cool.

I actually had my very first FPV experience last weekend. I met a guy on youtube that does some fun looking FPV videos. Come to find out, he actually lives in my state. We get talking some more and I'm watching his videos and something funny happens...I actually start thinking that I recognize some of the land marks. No way...that can't be. Come to find out, he actually lives in my city! That's awesome! Even more awesome...he only lives about 5 miles from my house!!! That's just uncanny. So we arrange and time and day to meet up and he'll show me his FPV setup (a very simple 1.3ghz setup with Fatsharks). The guys name is Tyler. Tyler brings his dad and his brother to the place that we had agreed on (possibly thinking "safety" when meeting a stranger...I can understand that). We get talking and guess what??? Before ya know it, we are all just laughing away and talking about this and that and having a great time. Tyler puts the Fatsharks in my hand and says to wear them while he flies around. Cool...I can do that!! So I put on the Fatsharks and he launches his Zephyr and..................WOW!!!!! It is just an unreal feeling to see the ground from the perspective of an RC plane that is zipping around the skies at 70mph!!! I am definitely hooked. Gotta get my own equipment so that Tyler and I can fly together.

FPV is an amazing experience and I can't wait to do it again!!!

I hope I didn't "thread-jack" your thread, Stambo! Just wanted to share my first FPV experience.

WyDiablo

Yea, that first FPV is scary for sure, but my second time out was a little better. And I hoping that my 3rd time out will be really good. Can't wait to get better weather around here.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I just went right into flying fpv. I found it very cool right off the bat. Had my gf watch till I got use to it though. Insurance against hitting anything unknowingly! Lol.

Stambo

FPV is an amazing experience and I can't wait to do it again!!!

I hope I didn't "thread-jack" your thread, Stambo! Just wanted to share my first FPV experience.

Hey it's always good to hear someone elses experience, I am looking forward to another go this weekend if the weather is right.
Every time I fly my 450 quad I get it dialed in a bit better.
Hover is really stable now and auto level works a treat, just let go everything but the throttle and it returns happily to level, which is what I need as I have no spotter available. I don't go to far at present in case I need to get the goggles off and find the quad to bring it home.
I will hook the receiver to my laptop and record some video. It may be pretty boring until I get a bit more confidence but I'll post it anyway.
I look at some of the videos people post on youtube and would love to be doing stuff like that.
I'd like to think one day it may be mine that others look at and think the same.

Lee

You should have no probs with the goggles on Stambo if you come from a gamer background. Its just like playing a first person shooter game. Good luck :)

Stambo

You should have no probs with the goggles on Stambo if you come from a gamer background. Its just like playing a first person shooter game. Good luck :)

That's what I thought until I tried it. I get a degree of motion sickness with the goggles that I don't get in front of a 42 inch plasma. Its getting less every time but its something I didn't expect. The lack of peripheral vision I think has a lot to do with it. The brain fools the body into thinking its moving when its not.

Lee

Well then you've solved the problem. Use a 42" TV for your screen instead of goggles. LOL :D

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Motion sickness! What the heck are you week need too? Lol I've never heard of that before. They make drugs for that don't they?

Stambo

Well then you've solved the problem. Use a 42" TV for your screen instead of goggles. LOL :D

Don't for a second think I haven't already thought of this. :)
Once I figure the range limits of my gear while I'm inside or maybe get a proper diversity receiver and an extension so I can mount the TX module outside on a pole as well I may just do that.
I think putting a cable between the module and the aerial may have adverse effects but my theory is putting a longish ribbon between the TX and the module may work better.
But that would only work at home. I want to get out in the country or down to the beach and do some vids eventually.

- - - Updated - - -

Motion sickness! What the heck are you week need too? Lol I've never heard of that before. They make drugs for that don't they?

Way to go dude, make fun of someone else's affliction. Real nice guy.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Don't for a second think I haven't already thought of this. :)
Once I figure the range limits of my gear while I'm inside or maybe get a proper diversity receiver and an extension so I can mount the TX module outside on a pole as well I may just do that.
I think putting a cable between the module and the aerial may have adverse effects but my theory is putting a longish ribbon between the TX and the module may work better.
But that would only work at home. I want to get out in the country or down to the beach and do some vids eventually.

- - - Updated - - -

Way to go dude, make fun of someone else's affliction. Real nice guy.

All in fun dude. Not ment to make fun of.

Lee

I remember the first time i tried to fly with goggles standing up. I was chasing MX bikes around a track. On the first bend i nearly fell over :D LOL You def have to sit down when flying FPV with goggles, you'll only end up on the floor anyway LOL.

Top Bottom