Servos Good or Bad servos

nikssehagal

Banned
I think a Futuba servos is best for heli because I also use this servo for my heli.It is easiest and most efficient way to upgrade your Futaba system. No other system provides you access to as many different sizes, shapes and functions as Futaba.Now a days there are 28 Futaba servos available ranging from the micro, 0.34 ounce S3103 to the mighty 194 ounce-inches of torque of the S3801.So I suggest you to use this servo.

RandyDSok

Hitec, JR and Futaba servos are good brands... but not all of their models are equal in quality. The following are some of the basics I use when choosing which servo. At least staying with good brand names will provide you with a servo that should center well but don't forget to also consider the other specs that are also important.

I noticed you had selected a couple of just standard size servo's... not all aircraft use the standard size. So first you need to know which size the heli ( airplane, car, boat ) is going to need.

The most overlooked spec is the type of bearing the servo has. In both of the examples you asked about, they use the plastic case as the bearing/bushing and these will wear out quickly which means you will need to replace them often. Only use plastic bearing/bushing servo's in low stress areas. In all other areas you want a metal top bearing at the very least. Example, the Futaba S3004 is the same servo but with a top bearing and only costs a few dollars more.

Gear type is also important but which type is best is also dependant on the type of use.... Nylon bearings will have a tighter fit but will be more prone to breaking under high stress loads. Metal gears will take higher stress than the nylon gears but they have a little more slop in them. There is also a type called carbonite ( by Hitec ) which is somewhere between the nylon and metal, they have slightly more slop than the nylon gears but less than the metal and they are stronger than nylon but not as strong as metal.

Analog vs digital servo's... In most cases, but not all.... the digital servo's ( of the same type ) are stronger and more accurate than an analog... but they also require more power.

Torque is also important but again, how much you need will depend on the airframe you have selected. By looking at the recommended servos and selecting one with as much of if not a little more than the recommended servo has... you should do pretty well.

The speed of the servo is a little less important but it will still determine how well "connected" you feel to the model. Again, start with what the manufactors recommended servo's speed is at the least and go a little faster if possible.

Also remember to not let the price of the servo influence your choice... good electronics will typically outlive the model they are first put into IF you select a quality servo to begin with. The airframe is typically only about 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of the electronics and equipment put into it if you are selecting quality parts for it.

nikssehagal

Banned
Yes, I totally agree with you.It is very careful that a good brand is always has good quality.I like your way of the giving explanation of the servo and it is useful information for me, so next time I will be really careful for choosing a good servo.Nice to give me a reply and I am very thankful to you.

RandyDSok

I was actually posting the info for Heli 66 whom had started this thread.... but I'm glad you found it helpful, hopefully Heli 66 will also

Heli 66

The reason i asked is that i seen some of those two types for sale real cheap and thought i could use them in my Esky ES600 that i am trying to get together.

nikssehagal

Banned
Nice to giving a very useful information about Heli 66 but Actually I don't know more about heli 66.So I want to more about it.If you giving information about heli 66 then it would be very nice.So thanks for posting and keep posting.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
ohh you figured out it was esky esmart.. nice.. great... I wouldnt have even gone there.. I have blocked esky from my memory after I owned the honey bee fp v2.. lol

anywaz... hope you get that in the air soon.

how is your raptor doing? maidened or hovered yet?

nikssehagal

Banned
ohh you figured out it was esky esmart.. nice.. great... I wouldnt have even gone there.. I have blocked esky from my memory after I owned the honey bee fp v2.. lol

anywaz... hope you get that in the air soon.

how is your raptor doing? maidened or hovered yet?

Nice to inform me but I don't understand what you say so please write some clear and I want to know more about heli66.If you giving the information about heli66 then it would be very nice.

Heli 66

Gee, was that all cause of me? lol Did a couple of hovers with the Raptor still think i need to fine tune Pitch,but thats for a different section of forum.

Last edited:

RandyDSok

Gee, was that all cause of me?

Yes and no... I suspect that he was removed for continually trying to hijack your thread as well as just being a nuisance elsewhere in general. I would also venture a guess that he was just a young kid ( posting for just the sake of posting ) and we all know they have a way of just being a pest at times.

Heli 66

I wanted to thank you also for giving me some insight to the servo thing, I was just curious if those servos would be OK for the ES600, But anyway Thanks again.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I would say to have atleast 70+ oz torque for a 600 size heli.. the speed of the servos was good.. but torque was a bit less.. This is not from any calculations or mathematics I have done, just something I asked on this forum before, and I was told, and also I read up.. Now Randy is very knowledgeable in stuff just like tony and many more.. they might be able to chime in or disagree.. but.. IMO.. I would look for a bit hgher torque at 4.8V and also speed better than (0.20 sec / 60 @4.8v) if I am correct.. (speed is met in both servos here)

Tony

Staff member
He was making somewhat pointless posts, but I don't ban people for that unless they are forcing bad advice and then I give them a warning to start. If you would have seen his signature, he was linked to what I think was a scam site selling Rc stuff. It didn't look legit at all. So, I sent him on a permanent vacation from the forum. The wording of his posts had me suspicious but I thought I would give him the benefit of the doubt of just being from another country and English not being his language and using google translate. It seems to always translate like that. But today he changed his sig to include that link and it was game over. Just looking out for my members! :biggrin1:

RandyDSok

I wanted to thank you also for giving me some insight to the servo thing, I was just curious if those servos would be OK for the ES600, But anyway Thanks again.

I'm not a heli guy so I'm reluctant to give specific recommendations for a model that I have no info to base that recommendation on ... everything I saw, in my short searchs, didn't list any recommended servo specs.

Still, servo's are servo's so the basic info I gave would apply to any airframe or servo need... so I would strongly suggest a servo with a metal top bearing at the very least.... metal gears may be a consideration since they are less likely to break but I'm not certain if they are the prefered type for a larger heli which may need the less slop of a nylon gear... then after that, torque and speed are the other two bits of info you'd need to consider before chosing...

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
If its a e-ccpm heli ESP with direct to swash frame metal gear servos with much gmhigher torque are highly recommended on a bigger heli. Push pull ccpm, Mechanical ccpm tends to have less direct impact impact on the servos and you can get away with using plastic gears and lower torque. (I am using plastic gear s3152 on one of my 600 nitros)

The servos that you would use on this es600 is gonna be the same as your raptor. They are the exact same size.

IMO ... Like the raptor , get s3152 for this heli too. They are cheap as standard size quality servos go in that speed and torque.

Your es600 is I think e-ccpm with push pull mechanism. So plastic gear will get you by just fine. This is from my own research. :)

Top Bottom