Chargers Good Low Cost Charger

bigone5500

So I'm thinking that the 100w charger I have is not going to be beefy enough to charge the batteries I'm about to get. I think it's time to take a look at a new, more powerful charger. I'll be charging four 1550, 4S LiPo batteries in parallel at the most. I may even go with six batteries. I highly perfer to purchase from amazon so if anyone can recommend a good one from there it would be appreciated. I do have a price limit of ~$125. I would like the charger to be able to be plugged into the wall as I don't have a cool server PSU setup.

I found this one but I'm not sure it's what I really need for a parallel charging board.

Amazon product

Tony

Staff member
That charger is actually two 100w chargers completely separate from each other.

What if I told you that you can make your own server power supply, and get a damn good charger for the price you are wanting to spend? Would you be interested?

Tony

Staff member
The charger I'm thinking about since you are not doing any really heavy charging is the iCharger 106b. It is a 10 amp charger or about 250 watts, which is more powerful than both of the chargers in the link you posted, and all you would need is a minimum 300w power supply. I'm pretty sure @callsign4223 is running this charger and I actually just gave him (about a year or so ago lol) a power supply out of my Dell server which he has up and running. Power supplies are a dime a dozen, but you are going to have to bend a bit and get the PSU from egay for a cheaper price than you would spend on amazon. The charger though is on amazon for just over $90. I think I purchased my 575w PSU's for about $14 each. But there are some 1000w PSU's out there for not a lot of money. If you are interested in going this route (I did and don't regret it one bit) then I will start looking things up for you in the morning. But for now, this is the charger that I found.

Amazon product

Tony

Staff member
With my track record of electronics from HobbyKing, I think I will stay away from anything from them that runs on electricity.

Smoggie

Hobbyking dont make iSDT chargers, they just sell them. Despite the 'exclusive to Hobbyking' claim they are available form other places such as Banggood and Gearbest. Hobbyking seem to have the best prices on them though.

Tony

Staff member
Ah okay, I was thinking it was the smaller one. Question, what size is that power supply you are running? I could go pull the other one out but then I would have to pick up that server and yea, just feeling lazy today lmao.

callsign4223

Staff member
Ah okay, I was thinking it was the smaller one. Question, what size is that power supply you are running? I could go pull the other one out but then I would have to pick up that server and yea, just feeling lazy today lmao.

Oh Geez, I have no clue. I can check when I get home. I think it was like a 700

Tony

Staff member
If you have it, send over the schematic or pinout that you used to wire yours up. I don't think I will be using this massive server for anything since I have another server to play with so I might as well do something with the PSU that is in it lmao.

Tony

Staff member
That HP that I linked you will work more than enough. Let me see if I can find this dell that I'm working on right now. I just pulled it out of my server and not only got it running, but was able to slow the fan down. Not all the way down, but down enough to be manageable.

Tony

Staff member
I have not done any kind of stress tests yet, but I have that PSU (I think it is the same one) on my desk right now and running with 12v power and the fan slowed down.

Tony

Staff member
I am 99% sure it is the same, even though it has a different model number than the one that I have. It fits a Dell 2850 Rack Mount Server and that is exactly what I have in my closet that I pulled this PSU out of. So I'm pretty sure we can get this going for you. Just know, these are not as small as they look and even with the fan slowed down, you can still hear it. But it's not near what it is without slowing the fan down.

Top Bottom