General Good kit choice - 500 size heli

bigone5500

I have been thinking for some time now about getting a larger heli nex year. I also plan to get a better Tx also (DX9). So my question is about kit choices. What is a good brand kit? What mfg. makes kits with everything you need? I guess the basic question might be is if you were going to purchase a 500 size heli kit, then which one would you choose and why? Just to make it a bit better, Let's give the kit a $1200 budget. The kit should be DSMX and include servos, blades (main and tail), and a battery.

Now as a side note, if a 600 size kit is not much more expensive, then I'm game. I want to build a heli instead of pull it out of a box and fly it. It's like model rocketry, I get more enjoyment from building one than just charge and fly (and crash).

Tony

Staff member
You should look into the Align 550 Dominator. It runs on 6s, has the head, tail and frame from a 600 (so it could be stretched in the future) and with two batteries and the AR7200BX (or whatever gyro you want) it still falls within your price range. Of course, this does not include the DX9.... If I had no helicopters but knew how to fly, the 550 is where I would be looking. I would look right past the 500's since they are only a 425mm blade. This is what I would do anyway.

And to stretch a 550 to a 600, you would need 600mm blades, 95mm tail blades, 600 boom and TT and 12s electronics. You can fly a 600 on 6s, but it puts a lot of strain on the components.

Tony

Staff member
No, the servos and linkages are the exact same from a 550 to a 600. In fact, the head and tail on my 600 nitro came off a 550 helicopter that was parted out.

When I said components, I meant running a 6oo with a 6s motor, 6s battery and 6s ESC. The key to remember, the lower the voltage, the higher the amperage given the same wattage. You will need to upgrade to a 12s motor, esc and batteries and probably a BEC since there are not many ESC's with a BEC built into it.

Ken Jackson

I stuck with the TRex 500 because I like the size and cost of parts are less. I've heard the 550 and 600 on 6s are a little light on power but I haven't seen a 550 up close. I have flown a 600 on 6s and I wouldn't go that route.

About building, it is a challange, and I highly recommend anyone who flies helis to be your own mechanic, you'll need to be. I built my first 500 and I've upgraded and rebuilt it several times, OK somewhere like 25+ times.

Good Luck choosing.

Ken

Tony

Staff member
You are right Ken, the 550's are a little more expensive on parts, but just like the jump from 450 to 500, the 500 to 550 is a HUGE step up in stability. If you ever make it down here to Oklahoma or I make it up there to my home state, I will let you get ahold of this 550 I have here (if it is still here lol). The 730MX motor that is in it is overkill, but is what a 6s bird needs for a powerplant. Damn, now I want to take it out and fly it lol. But need to setup for this live stream lmao.

vyrnguy

You should look into the Align 550 Dominator. It runs on 6s, has the head, tail and frame from a 600 (so it could be stretched in the future) and with two batteries and the AR7200BX (or whatever gyro you want) it still falls within your price range. Of course, this does not include the DX9.... If I had no helicopters but knew how to fly, the 550 is where I would be looking. I would look right past the 500's since they are only a 425mm blade. This is what I would do anyway.

And to stretch a 550 to a 600, you would need 600mm blades, 95mm tail blades, 600 boom and TT and 12s electronics. You can fly a 600 on 6s, but it puts a lot of strain on the components.

+1 on the 550

If I was in the market for a true 500 size heli, it would be a 550mm main blades.

Tony

Staff member
The only other option that I could think of, and this just came to me, is the Goblin 500. An actual 500mm helicopter. But being SAB, you get what you pay for, in flight, and in crashes. About 25% more than the Align 550. But it is a fantastic kit.

Geena

Staff member
My choice for a 500 size helicopter, would be the Gaui X5V2. It is build well, and will take 500mm-520mm blades. There are so many other great kits out there, and they all fly great. The Align 500X is a good choice, but only swings 470mm blades. As Tony mentioned, the Goblin 500. It`s a great machine, but they can be pricey to repair. Another really good one is the Mikado LOGO 480 Extreme, which takes 473mm blades. Again, they can be pricey to repair. If you are wanting to build on a budget, there is also the RJX Vectron 520, which will swing 500mm blades.
One more to consider, is the Synergy E5. It`s actually a 550 class helicopter, but it is easily stretched to 600 when you are ready to move up to the next size. Without having to buy a whole new kit. Just something to think about. :D

Admiral

I have just bought an Agile 5.5 at the right price including all the recommended servos, ESC and an iKon FC. Any options Good or Bad?

Kind of a sper of the moment purchase, was looking for an Align 550 but this was cheaper than the 550s on the market around here, and seemed better equipped.

Smoggie

If you want a complete package with the servos, ESC, motor and flybarless controller then Align is the obvious choice. Most other manufacturers you would have to buy all the components separately. You aren't going to get a battery included in any kit, that will be an extra whichever option you go with. The receiver will also be an extra so you can pick whatever type you need

For a $1200 budget and paying list prices you will probably struggle to build a 'ready to fly' heli in the 500-550 size range from any brand except Align. The Gaui mentioned previously is a extremely nice heli but sold only as a bare airframe kit and would severely challenge your budget to build with decent quality components. The Align Trex 500X or 550X are nice helis and both within budget. The 550X 'Super Combo' after adding a couple of batteries and receiver would be on budget, the 500X 'Super combo' would leave you quite a bit of change, but it is a 470mm blade heli, not a 'true' 500.

There are other options if you shop around like the previously mentioned KDS Agile 5.5 which is a nice heli and a bit different from the crowd. For some of these less common brands parts availability may be a concern though KDS do I think have a good US distributor.

If this is a big step up in size from what you have flown before you might also need to factor in stuff like an upgraded charger into the equation. No point having a nice new heli that you cant fly because the charger takes all day to charge the batteries!

vyrnguy

There's also the Compass Exo 500 which can swing 520mm, but that might be to pricey for your budget? Not sure how much they are there where you live. So shop around. I know the 500+ size is way over my heli budget.

vyrnguy

As for the Agile, for the price of an EXO 500(kit only), I can get an Agile 7.2(kit only). lol But they are too big for my heli budget. THere's so many nice helis

vyrnguy

what's the biggest size heli you have ever experience in? 700 is all good, but it might be intimidating for some.

bigone5500

what's the biggest size heli you have ever experience in? 700 is all good, but it might be intimidating for some.
I guess if you mean experience as having successfully flown a heli then a 120s. I am very sure if my 270 could fly, then that. It has issues at the moment so I can't fly it.

vyrnguy

As I don't have a 700, I'm going to pass now, and hopefully Smoggie, or Tony can be more helpful on your journey

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
That's a very nice bird your looking at bigone. Just to costly if crashed. I'm agree with vyrnguy. Anything over a 500 is out of my budget too. I picked up my 500 from a friend very cheap. I was able to purchase a bright color fuselage for the 500 so my blind butt can see. This works fine for me. If I crash, it won't cost me an arm and a leg to fix it lol. IMG_1151.JPG

Tony

Staff member
The thing to remember about 700 size helicopters is, when you crash (not if, when, just like riding motor cycles), the blades ALONE will be $120+ depending on brand. And with a helicopter that size, I would NOT skimp on the blades, gears, shafts or anything else. These helicopters have killed people and are not to be messed around with. And in my opinion (just mine mind you), I would not jump from such a small helicopter that is $40 to crash to a 700 that is over $300 to crash. I still stand by what I had said before on the 550 Dominator. For what it is, it is the best value for the money brand new. And the blades are not that expensive compared to a 700.

bigone5500

The thing to remember about 700 size helicopters is, when you crash (not if, when, just like riding motor cycles), the blades ALONE will be $120+ depending on brand. And with a helicopter that size, I would NOT skimp on the blades, gears, shafts or anything else. These helicopters have killed people and are not to be messed around with. And in my opinion (just mine mind you), I would not jump from such a small helicopter that is $40 to crash to a 700 that is over $300 to crash. I still stand by what I had said before on the 550 Dominator. For what it is, it is the best value for the money brand new. And the blades are not that expensive compared to a 700.
Yeah, it was just a thought. I'll probably go with the Trex 550.

So what about Rx choices? Is the microbeast the one or should I put a beastx on it?

Top Bottom