Batteries Good Battery?? Bad Battery??

canongraphy

Hey guys and gals,
For the many new people to RC on this site......
What brand batteries are good? bad? too expensive? more prone to puff? etc.
From the experienced guys here, please share your opinions with us.
There are many different brands and new ones everyday, how do you decide which to fork the money on?
For instance the 700's use 2 6C batteries.... that could easily run you 250.00 EACH
What you say ole wise ones!

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
i use turnigy batteries for my 450 to 700 size..

pufing happens when you over stress , over charge, dont take care of the battery. Pulse and thor and gens ace are amazing bateries .. probably last longer and to a pro, there might be a difference..

but Turnigy batteries... do very well.. I have puffed my batteries before.. and destroyed them. BUt it was my fault.. but apart from that.. they are great!

and by the way 700's use 2 6-CELL or 6S batteries :) C rating is a currect rating, of how much burst of continuous currents the battery can supply. :) (just wanted to clarify)

canongraphy

i use turnigy batteries for my 450 to 700 size..

pufing happens when you over stress , over charge, dont take care of the battery. Pulse and thor and gens ace are amazing bateries .. probably last longer and to a pro, there might be a difference..

but Turnigy batteries... do very well.. I have puffed my batteries before.. and destroyed them. BUt it was my fault.. but apart from that.. they are great!

and by the way 700's use 2 6-CELL or 6S batteries :) C rating is a currect rating, of how much burst of continuous currents the battery can supply. :) (just wanted to clarify)

Hey thanks Gaba, yes I mean't to type 6S and was thinking cell, didn't realize I did it until you said something thanks!

pvolcko

I accidentally para charged 6 batteries for my 120sr (500mah 1cell lipos) with settings for my 10 cell nicd packs. 3 eflight stock batteries puffed out. The turnigy nano-tech batteries got hot but didn't puff out. Had to ditch the puffed ones but the nano-techs worked fine after letting them cool and then cycling them through a discharge and charge at the right settings. Still use them today with no signs of degrading compared to new ones.

Lee

I'm using Nanotechs and love them. At the price of these batteries compared to other brands, i can us and abuse them with crapping myself over the huge price tag other batteries cost. I think for my next ones, I will try Gens Ace.

Tony

Staff member
I have used everything from Blue Lipo to Turnigy to Gens Ace, and they all worked like they should. Blue Lipo is on the bottom and puff's really easy. Turnigy's are good, but didn't get to fly with them much. The time I did, they got the job done. Gens Ace I'm running in my 50" Edge 540T and they always come down cool. but this is because of ratings and not so much the battery. In the future, I have talked about swapping over to Pulse batteries. Nothing but good reviews that I have read. Of course there are the negatives on the ones that have an issue, but that is with anything.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Always read reviews on the battery :)

Like my nano tech 450 size 3s 2200 has been the best battery I have flown.

While the 6s 5000 I have heard doesn't hold charge well at all and in that size 5000 mah 6s turnigy do better. .... So read and ask around :) and then buy. Regardless.. I don't see spending double the money when HK now has a US warehouse :)

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

pvolcko

I can also recommend EPBuddy batteries. I bought a 3S 1800mah 30C/5C pack as an alternate to the 10 cell NiCd packs I use in my DraganFlyer III quadcopter. It works very well, giving me almost 14 mins of flight time compared to maybe 2-3 minutes with the original 600mah 12v NiCd packs. The epbuddy pack barely gets warm, even if I push them past the 80% discharge mark (I don't do this as a habit, but it happens). In fact the NiCd packs get hot to the touch after only a few minutes of flight time, and after cooling for 15 minutes while flying with the epbuddy pack, they are still by far hotter than the epbuddy pack immediately after flight.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I can also recommend EPBuddy batteries. I bought a 3S 1800mah 30C/5C pack as an alternate to the 10 cell NiCd packs I use in my DraganFlyer III quadcopter. It works very well, giving me almost 14 mins of flight time compared to maybe 2-3 minutes with the original 600mah 12v NiCd packs. The epbuddy pack barely gets warm, even if I push them past the 80% discharge mark (I don't do this as a habit, but it happens). In fact the NiCd packs get hot to the touch after only a few minutes of flight time, and after cooling for 15 minutes while flying with the epbuddy pack, they are still by far hotter than the epbuddy pack immediately after flight.

Love epbuddy products recently got the para boards and the i306b from them

Great service man!

pvolcko

I got my charge system from EPBuddy as well. iCharger 3010b, 500 watt eFuel power supply, came with a paraboard (opted for the EC3 version). Got some para cables for the 120SR and nano batteries. Way over powered charge system for what I have, but I bought with the expectation of getting into the hobby seriously and getting heli eventually that would benefit from it. :) They threw in the new version of the eFuel power supply at no additional charge since they had discontinued the version I ordered (they hadn't updated their site yet). Good prices, fast shipping, good experience every time I've ordered with them.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I got my charge system from EPBuddy as well. iCharger 3010b, 500 watt eFuel power supply, came with a paraboard (opted for the EC3 version). Got some para cables for the 120SR and nano batteries. Way over powered charge system for what I have, but I bought with the expectation of getting into the hobby seriously and getting heli eventually that would benefit from it. :) They threw in the new version of the eFuel power supply at no additional charge since they had discontinued the version I ordered (they hadn't updated their site yet). Good prices, fast shipping, good experience every time I've ordered with them.

Nice

Checked out my thread on making your own 1100w power supply for these chargers? :) check that out :)

stokke

I use Hyperion and APlus packs. My Hyperions probably has over 80 cycles on them now, and are still working very good - and no puffing. I also had two crashes with the Hyperions on board, still working :D

The APlus packs are my performance packs, 6C charge rated. These have been working fine so far, and no puffing. When I crashed the JR I had APlus packs inside, although one of the packs was damaged, it did not burst into fire. I'm pretty satisfied with the APlus brand, but I don't have enough cycles on them to give a good recommendation just yet.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I use Hyperion and APlus packs. My Hyperions probably has over 80 cycles on them now, and are still working very good - and no puffing. I also had two crashes with the Hyperions on board, still working :D

The APlus packs are my performance packs, 6C charge rated. These have been working fine so far, and no puffing. When I crashed the JR I had APlus packs inside, although one of the packs was damaged, it did not burst into fire. I'm pretty satisfied with the APlus brand, but I don't have enough cycles on them to give a good recommendation just yet.

Hyperions are AMAZING packs but also cost an arm and a leg plus tax. Lol

Aplus .. Never tried that... Ill look into those too.

xokia

Hyperions are AMAZING packs but also cost an arm and a leg plus tax. Lol

Aplus .. Never tried that... Ill look into those too.
I've tried the hyperions on my mcpx and 130x. So my opinions is biased on just those two helicopters.
They are good but nothing special IMO. My nano-techs where better IMO. The hyperions run about the same costs as the nano-tech around me, my local hobby store caries them.

Has anyone tried the Turnigy A-spec batteries? I've seen they carry a 65-130C I've thought about ordering one just to see how it does. My local hobby store started carrying Pulse at a reasonable mark up. Just a couple dollars more than the nano-techs. So I might try one or two of those in the future just to compare. They are rated considerably less though. But the C ratings are really deceiving.

pvolcko

I have a trio of hyperion cells for my nano. They do seem to provide more omph at the start and by the end they are going stronger than the nano-techs. But they are very expensive compared to the nano-techs. If I were flying 3D with it then I'd use it as the go-to battery, but I'm not at that level yet so the nano-techs are too good a bang for the buck. Can buy 10-15 nano-techs for the price of the 3 hyperions.

murankar

Staff member
I fly with GensAce and I really dont take good care of them like i should. Mostly it's me leaving them fully charged for long periods of time. I have had them going for a year now and have not seen a degrade in flight time. They still have enough in them to still fly light sport, I have a low C rating on my packs; 25C. I should have gotten the 30 or 40C packs instead.

Top Bottom