380/420 Goblin 420 Ikon 2 Throttle Issues

I set up my goblin 420 using the ikon 2. I am having a problem with the throttle. I am using hobbywing 50a esc. when I throttle up the pitch works fine but the motor doesn't start up until I get to about full throttle/pitch. The dx9 is set up right for pitch/ throttle. I noticed in the ikon 2 set up the pitch will go up to 100% and the throttle will too but there is a lag at halfway and then it gos up to 100% throttle. any ideas what I missed or whats going on?

I did when I built it and was using the beastx, I did solve the problem I increased the throttle curve from 33% to 60% and now it works fine ( go figure ) now all I have to do is get the tail from wagging ??

Tony

Staff member
Increasing the throttle curve is not the way to correct that matter. Now your resolution on the throttle is not as fine as it should be which can result in jumpy throttle signals. I would go into the setup menu in the Ikon and verify you have full throw on the throttle which should go from -100 to +100. Once you have that, I would recalibrate the ESC one more time just for peace of mind.

As for the tail wagging, is it slow or fast. If it is slow (hunting), then you need to raise the tail gain. If it is a fast wag (oscillations) then you need to lower your tail gain.

thanks so much for your help. I have the throttle at -100 and +100. How do you re calibrate hobbywing 50a with dx-9??. its a slow wag so I will increase the gain. again thanks so much for your help

Tony

Staff member
Make sure your throttle curve in your Tx is linear. Turn everything off. Turn on your Tx and raise the throttle stick all the way to full throttle (remove your blades, head and tail). Plug in the Helicopter and wait for the first set of beeps. When you hear them, lower the Tx stick all the way down. The ESC should initialize normally. Your throttle should now be calibrated.

And it's my pleasure. That is what we are here for :D

murankar

Staff member
Hopefully everything is worked out.

After looking at your setup your esc is going to be a bit under powered for that kit. Just giving you the heads up. I personally don't run anything smaller than 60 amp on a 360/380. Your running a 50 amp on a 420. SAB recommends a 70 amp for basic flight or a 80 to 90 amp on hard 3D. I would just go straight to the 90 and be done with it.

Watch your heat on the esc. You may end up in an unexpected auto rotation due to thermal shutdown.

Surprised you didn't catch it @Tony.

got it thanks. I will update to a bigger ESC . the 50a is the one that it came with when I bought it on ebay. I did not like the beastx that it came with that is why I switched it to the IKON2 This is the first time I have set up a heli ( I usually buy the RTF ) so this is a good learning experience for me. again thanks for your help. I will be chiming in for help when I build a heli from the ground up.

Tony

Staff member
I as well prefer the Ikon to the BX gyro's. To me they are easier to setup even though you need a computer unless you are using a Bluetooth connection that is. There is nothing wrong with the BX, the gyro works great, I just prefer the Ikon.

murankar

Staff member
Duncan bossian flies beastx or he used to. That guy flew the snot out of it.

Most people, like myself; don't like the non graphical side of set up. Like stick programing an esc. I hate it, prog box is no problem for me.

Top Bottom