Motors Glow vs Gas

Hi guys,
I'm just curious, can you convert a nitro/glow engine into a gas engine?
I was looking at a 4stroke glow engine, but would prefer to have a gas engine.
Just $800 is nicer than $5000!!
Just a thought... I'm aware the plugs will need to be changed, but what else would need to be done?

Tony

Staff member
Nope, the compression is completely different. Glow is like a diesel and utilizes very high compression to ignite the fuel. Gas uses low compression and is triggered by the spark plug and ignition timing with a cam shaft.

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
I saw this and I must respectfully disagree. Glow engines absolutely can be converted to gas. It's more a matter of weight (adding an ignition system and gas carb) and the type of bearings used in each type of engine. Glow need more oil in the fuel, while gas engines do not need as much. This is why glow fuel is generally around 15% castor or synthetic oil. Gas engines often use a 50:1 mixture (~2%). The amount of oil you would have to add to the gas would be somewhat ridiculous. *But* modelers are a unique breed, so we take things that aren't meant to work a certain way and make them do what we want, to an extent at least. Here's a good example of a conversion:

glow to gas conversion supertigre 51 - YouTube

He doesn't even have a walbro type carb, just an electronic ignition like the ones that you get with a DLE gasser.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1TzG3kGcfg

And with a four stroke....

Thanks Chris,
I will have a closer look at these and videos and see what I can do.
Could be interesting and worth having a look at

Tony

Staff member
I myself would never suggest doing this. The compression is way too high in a glow engine for gas. IMO, there is a reason they make them in different styles. RCH nor myself will never support or endorse ANYONE doing this. If the head blows off the block, or the case cracks, it could result in severe bodily damage.

I more than likely wont go down that path, but was interesting to see that someone has attempted it, and at least for now has a working version.
The motor I was looking at certainly wouldn't handle the conversion

Lee

If you are looking to convert a heli from Nitro to gas, then these guys make conversions for a number of brands. THis is not converting the engine, but replacing it.
http://helibug.com

Hi Lee thanks for that.
Nah it was actually for a radial engine. I really want a gas one rather than a nitro engine.
Ideally I would like the really nice moki radial, but that's a crazy amount of money. I found a nitro one, but I don't know, I just like gas better.
Although the first one will have an electric motor

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Lee thanks for that.
Nah it was actually for a radial engine. I really want a gas one rather than a nitro engine.
Ideally I would like the really nice moki radial, but that's a crazy amount of money. I found a nitro one, but I don't know, I just like gas better.
Although the first one will have an electric motor

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
A glow engine's compression is not a deal breaker because with a gas engine the compression ratio is controlled by octane rating and advancing or retarding the timing. Also, head shims can be added and removed. Gas engines can be converted to glow pretty easily as well. The point I made was about the percentage of oil needed in a glow engine. You would need about 15%-18% two stroke oil in the mix to keep the engine properly cooled and lubricated. Glow engines can also be run on a gas/glow fuel mix. If you look around and do your research there is a whole new world out there to be explored. I have NEVER heard of a head blowing off the block, or a case cracking.

Sure, if you run little to no oil in a glow type engine, that WILL happen, but the same goes for your weedeater. If you put straight gas in it it will overheat, throw a rod, whatever. Oil content is important, and compression can be changed. I don't want to be a pain, I just want to give a bigger picture of what you're looking at.

Top Bottom