Here is what i am getting ready to start building for my oldest boy

ForumRunner_20130117_175033.png

ForumRunner_20130117_175044.png
It has about a 17"wingspan made out of balsa and tissue covering

ForumRunner_20130117_175033.png

ForumRunner_20130117_175044.png

Last edited:

wolfman76

i bought it hoping he would be into building models when i was a kid but he just does not seem that interested in it like i was he likes flying on the sim and he is getting somewhat better but he also does not have the skill set do it i think he only does star wars legos... lol

RandyDSok

LOL... I understand... you can lead them to water and all of that...

As I was growning up, long long ago in a land far far way, my father was always putting together some model, whether it was a boat or plane of some type. My sister and I both would always watch and then later, go out with him and watch him fly or drive the boat around etc.

When he would go to a hobby shop, we had to tag along and usually we always tried to get him to buy us a hand glider or something... My favorite was a glider called the "Thermal D" and I can't remember for the life of me, who made the kits... we both enjoyed building them and they always flew great.

We were never lucky enough to be able to afford a Gillows back then... but that didn't stop us from asking. lmao

Well... here's to you getting to enjoy the build even if the son doesn't...

wolfman76

yeah go figure now the guillows kits are only like 10 or 12 bucks now thinking about trying to convert to electric and turn it into an micro rc but maybe just build it first the convert it later....

Tony

Staff member
I have a Gullows cessna that I never finished lmao. About to toss it into the burn pit.

RandyDSok

yeah go figure now the guillows kits are only like 10 or 12 bucks now thinking about trying to convert to electric and turn it into an micro rc but maybe just build it first the convert it later....

Think about it now before the build... remember you will need to strengthen the motorbox area to take the stress of the motor and probably the LG box area a little bit. Wood selections for the horizontal and vertical stabs also needs to be considered so the grains are going in the proper direction for strength where they will need it and be a bit denser also for added strenght. Oh... and design where the battery goes for easy access also.

wolfman76

Ok here is the first update on the lil p-51 got main part of fuselage together here are some pics

ForumRunner_20130208_192702.png

ForumRunner_20130208_192729.png

ForumRunner_20130208_192801.png

ForumRunner_20130208_192836.png

Will start putting wrong sections next...

ForumRunner_20130208_192702.png

ForumRunner_20130208_192729.png

ForumRunner_20130208_192801.png

ForumRunner_20130208_192836.png

Tony

Staff member
This makes me want to head to hobbylobby and pick up another kit. They are fun to build. Keep up the great work.

wolfman76

Yup since i love the red tail so much it will be a miniature of my 65"red tail it came with grey tissue covering

Whirlybird

My daughter and I built this kit 4 years ago when she was in Air Force ROTC her senior year in high school. The students all had to build a model and enter it in a contest. Unfortunately, the commander forgot to give them back :(

We actually had 2 kits. I built one along side her to give guidance.

Here's our P-51 assembly line & her finished project . . . a bit wrinklie on the wing tissue, but darn good for a first time builder :hdbng:

It did fly too!

P1050002.jpg

P1070010.jpg

P1070012.jpg

P1040114.jpg

Last edited:

wolfman76

EXCELLENT POST FRANK!!!! nice bird wish i could get my oldest boy to get into it with me was originally bought to build with him but he really not showing a interest.. he is only 11 though still time....

Whirlybird

Maybe try what I did Kyle, with two birds, and see if he is interested in building along-side you ?

Last edited:

wolfman76

I will thnks for the suggestion Frank... I have a ton of model cars that still need put together also

Top Bottom