Quad GF wants to build a quadcopter..

so my girlfriend wants to build a quadcopter.. or rather have me build it for her to fly when I fly my 450.. I like the carbon fiber kit on Hobbyking.com, and they have the controller boards, and a few other parts, my question is. are there 4 separate speed controls?

items:

frame
controller board (gyro onboard)
4 motors usually 1200Kv
4 sets blades
4 speed controls
no servos?
I'm assuming a 4ch TxRx
and anything from 1800-2200 LiPo (can use my 2200 3s 25C's)

I can also get a 2.4 ghz receiver that's compatible to my DX6i, or swap out an orange..

what do you all think?

Tony

Staff member
Yes, there is an ESC for each motor. Each motor is controlled by the KK board, or whatever you decide to use. And you are correct, only the tri-copter uses a servo, quads do not.

Unfortunately that is where my knowledge of this subject ends. I know Lee has used the KK board from HK with good success, but I think there is another out there that is just slightly better and still open source. Lee will be able to fill you in a lot more on this.

Tell your GF that flying a quad is like flying a heli. She can lose orientation very easily with a quad. And flying through the air is almost the same with the pitch, yaw and such. Should be fun to watch, get it all on video hehe.

oh I have the iPhone 4's, and a decent 10MP digital camera to catch it on.. sadly the CF is on backorder... we'll see when it is back on. I am thinking I'll build it out of hardware store Aluminum angle, and order the rest of the parts.. will try to keep the weight down below 300g. Is there a radio out there compatible with the Dx61 that I can use as described? allowing me to also fly it with the Dx6i and her own radio?

Tony

Staff member
Not quite sure what you are asking on the Tx's. If her Tx is not a DSM2 or DSMx, then you will have to swap out the Rx to change Tx's. Even if hers is a DSM2/x, you will have to rebind every time.

I would just build your own. Get you some .063 aluminum and make the 'body' and use 1/2" or 3/4" square CF tube for the arms. Use the aluminum to fab up the motor mounts as well. If you want, you can also use some 1/8" plywood instead of aluminum, but I trust aluminum more and it's thinner lol. I wouldn't use aluminum on the arms. Use either CF or wood.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Umm ... Check out this:::

Hoverthings.com ...

The setup comes bnf.., all included... I think 400.. And the board comes exteemely well tuned., the dji one is awesome. But you don't have to go with it...

They are pretty awesome! :)

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I am gonna build one for sure... And get full virtual horizon fpv on it.. I love fpv..

So Till I can afford 700 bucks worth of build... :) ohh not to mention go pro hd.. Hahah all the way man!

Lee

The FPV frame from Hoverthings will be ready by the end of the month. I have been waiting for ages for it to be finished.
Check out my quad Scott in the quadcopter thread. Aluminium arms work fine for me and are strong, carbon is lighter but more prone to vibration issues. Wood works well and is cheap to fix, but will break very easily, too easily sometimes which is a pain.
For tonnes of info on Quads check out the Open Pilot Project

Top Bottom