Quad Getting Started

concodd

Thinking about building my own fpv racing drone and I was wondering whether there are charts or guidelines out there that outline which motors go better with which types of esc's what batteries are better for what you want to do, what frames go better with the above etc etc, just basically what items work we'll together, hope you get the gist of what I am trying to get across.

Tony

Staff member
Moved this into the Quad Copter section.

I'm not aware of any kind of database like this. If this is your first go at it though, I would get a prebuilt kit because trust me, they are plenty fast enough when you are getting started. One thing that you can do for future upgrades, is get one that is ready for 4s batteries, but only run them on 3s when starting out.

Stambo

I have mixed thoughts on what Tony said.
On the one hand, a prebuilt one will get you flying faster, good option if you have limited experience tinkering with wiring and electronics.
Not so good if something goes wrong, you have to learn how to fix someone elses work.
Agree with Tony here, must be 4 cell capable.
On the other hand, if you are handy with a soldering iron and like to tinker, generally what you build yourself will be superior for a similar cost.
You get the satisfaction of seeing something you built fly.
You built it so you can fix it.
Also make sure you use 4s capable equipment.

Do you have a transmitter already, if not the new Taranis QX7 is getting rave reviews everywhere I look.
A $120 radio with $500 performance.
I have the Original Taranis and love it, otherwise I would probably buy one.

Whatever you decide, we are here to help.
The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Tony

Staff member
I was just referring to something like the kit that I purchased from eBay. For about a bill, you get a kit that you have to put together. I absolutely do NOT suggest going with something that is premade like the Walkera Runner 250. Those things are absolutely horrible in my opinion. However, my little 250 I had to build was and still is, fantastic! The exception, the GoolRC 210. I have had 0 issues with it, but both of those quads are only 3s compatible! But still plenty fast enough for just getting started.

concodd

Moved this into the Quad Copter section.

I'm not aware of any kind of database like this. If this is your first go at it though, I would get a prebuilt kit because trust me, they are plenty fast enough when you are getting started. One thing that you can do for future upgrades, is get one that is ready for 4s batteries, but only run them on 3s when starting out.
Will do and thanks

Top Bottom