Getting Rid Of The Ads? Thoughts?

Tony

Staff member
I have been thinking about this for quite some time now and I'm not any closer to an answer than I was when I started thinking about it. As we all know, we all hate ads. I hate ads. Even on this forum, my forum that I created, I hate seeing teh ads on here every time I come on here. Yes, I can disable them for myself, but I refuse to do that because 1. I need to know what content is being advertised on the forum and 2. if you all have to see them, then so do I.

The issue is, With a forum this size, with this much traffic, the required server is expensive. This is why we have ads. Since we launched RCH, the revenue from the site has been able to keep up with the server costs. Until recently. Recently, we have had a dramatic drop off in revenue from the site, and with that, no money to pay for the server to keep this website alive. I have an alternative of moving the forum to another server that a buddy of mine owns, but I dont' want to do that. I would like to keep RCH right where it is now.

I have thought of a few options that could help RCH stay alive, but only one is relevant to this thread. And that is to offer paid subscriptions here on the site. Now, I'm sure most of you know we have had paid subscriptions on here for quite some time now. With your subscription, not only are you helping RCH stay alive, but you are also gaining access to a part of the forum that no one else can see. You are also allowed an image in your signature, larger avatar, larger PM inbox among other things.

This is where my thinking has gotten me. What do you all think about adding NO ADS to that list? Meaning, if you purchase a paid subscription for a month, 6 months or a year, in that time frame, you will be put into a usergroup where you will no longer see any ads on this website. This would do two things. 1, it would get rid of the ads that, lets face it, all of us hate. and 2, it would help RCH stay alive.

I have been doing a lot of research here lately, and I'm pretty sure ad blockers are to blame for the horrible decline in revenue for this site. And I hate to say it, even though the content and the help is still here, it's killing RCH. I'm doing anything and everything I can to keep this great forum alive and this is one of many solutions I have bouncing around my head.

Please tell me what your thoughts are on this. Good or bad, I want to hear them.

If you would like to purchase a subscription to become an Rc-Help Supporter, click on the link below. Make sure you are looking at the supporter drop down and NOT the Sponsor drop down. They pay quite a bit more to advertise on the site (even though we no longer have any paying sponsors on the site. NexRc, as far as I'm concerned, is going to be an honorary sponsor on here for a while). And all sponsors have to be cleared by me before they can gain sponsorship on the site. But for those that would like to check out the Rc-Help Supporter Subscription, click the link below.

http://www.rc-help.com/payments.php

Thank you all for being a valued member of Rc-Help!

Stambo

Speaking for myself, I will never pay for any internet content, I will find it elsewhere.
I have my addblock turned off for this and a few other sites, and I accept that to get free content I may have to put up with a few adds.
But then I am a cheapskate.
I don't subscribe to any magazines or newspapers and I don't have pay TV in any form.
There is enough on free TV and YouTube to keep me entertained if that's what I am looking for.

trainrider06

Tony I think with a paid site you may run off people......unless you had 24/7 within a reasonable time answers to anyone's problem with their particular issue on whatever R/C model one had and the site supported.
There would be so many slippery slopes to tread I believe.
You would need the support of individuals to always be able to help those that subscribed and paid for the subscription, and they would I believe want pretty quick answers to their problems.
Your pretty much the main man here for questions, there are others who are very knowlagable also.
But your kinda the Jack of all trades here, with you working so much I'd see the site would probably decline, any new subscribers get fed up not getting immediate help, and drop off. You are R/Chelp, you'd have to either be here all the time or have someone as qualified as you in all areas to fill in while away.
I'm not sure as to how well subscription sites do but I know a lot of people feel the hobby itself is expensive without adding more to it. Just my reckoning....

Tony

Staff member
I guess I came off wrong on that aspect. I wasn't talking about turning the site completely into a paid site. That would be the definite death of this site. What I was suggesting was for those that "choose" to purchase a paid subscription, getting rid of the ads for them. Not everyone has to purchase the subscription, but those that do will get a cleaner forum with no ads. At this time, this is just a thought. The subscription option is there, but this is the first time I have actually talked about it. Just trying to get a feel for what people think. And with only two replies all day long, I think I'm getting my answer.

trainrider06

Oooooohhh!!! The ads don't bother me really, but a selective pay part? Hmmm?
Myself there would have to be a hitch to it something special. The lack of adds wouldn't be a
big enough draw for me at least.

Tony

Staff member
I'm working on that. Still trying to figure out what I could include with it other than no ads, larger images in the profile, larger PM box, access to a private forum (which is already there and uncensored) and some other things that I cna't think of right now. But yes, it would be completely voluntary.

trainrider06

What about something like a say....hey what about discounts at a major retailer on R/Crelated products? I know that would be something you'd have to sell to whatever retailer might be interested...

Tony

Staff member
It's all good. It's a great idea but I don't think anyone would want any discounts from the current vendors which are supplying me with review products.

trainrider06

Yeah for me it would be Amain hobbies, some place like that. Someone that has a wide range of things and availability on them. For any of these sites it seems the latest greatest is the hot motivating movement and I've noticed the help on older
models those threads are about dormant. At least here both ends are still being covered.
Hmm? How hard would it be to be able to get ahold of new model helis?
I just saw 2 models last night that, could be hot topics 1. The new Blade 230S (actually I think all it is....a revamped Blade SR, but with bailout, BL motor, and FBL head.
Then there is this other one, Ales 300 Optim or something like that, looks pretty interesting and may be a great 3D trainer
Pricey though....

Top Bottom