Projects Gerald's Aeronca Chief half sheet DT foam board build

Gerald

OK I wanted to try my hand at a smaller build! I found plans for this plane and just got the bug to build it! It is a model of the Aeronca Chief and it uses only half a sheet of DT foam board. I have a Grayson Hobby indoor combo on it 2204-1400 motor and a 10 amp esc. 2 2.5 gram servos and an ORX RX with 2s 600ma battery and swinging a 7x4 prop! A fellow named springer has a web site with many 1 sheet and half sheet builds. OneSheetKits :: Home
Here is my result. No madien flight yet, weather no cooperating 6 to 8 inches of snow comming tonight. Any body else doing smaller builds? for back yard fun or may be some indoor?

View attachment 9913

View attachment 9914

View attachment 9915

View attachment 9916

View attachment 9917

Gerald

I will try and get video when we have good enough weather, snowing like mad right now! I think I will need about a zero wind day for this little bugger it only weighs in at 3.9 oz or 111 grams. I hope to find a place to fly indoors but not having much luck there!

Gerald

This plane is a total loss, motor was way to big and I tried to launch it 8 to 10 times with different throttle amounts would either do crazy half twist loops or would rotate the plane behind the prop. could never stabilize it at all, cog was good even a little nose heavy. I think I will stick to larger planes!

Ron B

Isn't this about the same size as the Champ?
If so I may just need the same type of set up the champ has.

Top Bottom