Geocaching?

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
Anyone out there a geocacher? A friend of mine got me interested in it a few months ago. For those of you who don't know what geocaching is, check out this website: Geocaching.com. There are literally over 1.6M geocaches all over the world, so odds are there are geocaches no matter where you go. Within 20 miles of my house there are almost 600 ... my daughter and I have found only eight (and one travelbug), so we have a long way to go. My Geocache handle is (of course) Paulster2. If you are a geocacher, let me know and send me a friend request over on Geocaching.com. If you want to know more about it, let me know. I'll see what I can do to answer them, but know I'm not an expert.

Tony

Staff member
You do realize that the whole point of this hobby is to be lazy right? That requires a crapload of walking hahaha. Sounds like a lot of fun though. I may have to try it out.

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
You can download an app for either an Android or iPhone. You can also use any of the other geo-locating devices. Lots of fun.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I tried that app.. Last year... Man! Had three geo caches around my house. Couldn't find one.. So I quit. Lol

Tony

Staff member
It's basically a GPS treasure hunt. They will give you the info to get you close, then you have to find whatever it is that is hidden.

Tony

Staff member
It can be a number of things. This is the picture that they were showing on the site of what they could possibly be.

img_cachecontainers.jpg

img_cachecontainers.jpg

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
A geocache can be just about any type of container, place in just about any type of location. I've only scratched the surface of geocaching. I'm officially up to nine now, only 1.6 million more to go :D Two rules to placing a geocache: 1) it cannot be within 1/10th mile of another cache, 2) cannot be on private property (has to be accessible by everyone).

Lee

There are 657 around my home in Tarifa Spain. I will be looking for them as soon as i get back :D

Lee

Turms out both my parents are already giving it a go. Seems i am behind the times on this one :D

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
Haha! It's like that some days. It isn't just a game for the young. Anyone can do it ... just have to have a GPS (or app :D) and can get out and about. I found a travel bug the other day while getting gas (petro) at the gas station. Just have to be on the lookout. Great fun :D

Keith

Thanks Paul, inspired me... Took the grandkids out with a GPS 72 I used to use on the boat... Found 4 first day and 2 the second...

Going out Tuesday to find a set of 12 giving the clues for the 13th... Some have been doing this particular one for years... Lots of red herrings...

Don't know my way around the website yet but user name is 'Scooby - Doo'

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
Thanks Paul, inspired me... Took the grandkids out with a GPS 72 I used to use on the boat... Found 4 first day and 2 the second...

Going out Tuesday to find a set of 12 giving the clues for the 13th... Some have been doing this particular one for years... Lots of red herrings...

Don't know my way around the website yet but user name is 'Scooby - Doo'

I sent a friends request to you on Geocaching.com. Let me know if you didn't get it. Yes, their site is a little hard to manuver through, but you'll get the hang of it!

EDIT: Here is a link to some images of "Travel Bugs" ... keep an eye out, lol!

EDIT2: This guy is way too into this stuff!

Travel-Bug.png

Last edited:

Keith

Got the request Paul.. Can't find friends list though.. I'll get there...

Found six of the twelve... Weather permitting will try again tomorrow...

Grandkids are loving it, aged from 8 to 15... The oldest is a venturer in the scouts and knew a bit about it...

Top Bottom