Projects Gemini V2 Uav Scratch Build

Derek

This is gonna be a bit of a slow start while I get more and more parts and pieces, but I'll post progressive updates. I needed two carbon fiber tubes (27mm and 25mm diameters) for the main wing spar, so I ordered those about 2 weeks ago. Surprisingly, coming out of China, they arrived yesterday. Quite happy with that. I also need twelve 1.2mm x 7mm x 1000mm carbon fiber strips to help reinforce sections of the main wing, vertical stab, and horizontal stab. I've ordered those today.....those are coming from China. I also need two 360 degree servos for the two FPV pan and tilt units. I've looked around, in all the wrong places, and found many servos that are $30 or more each. I really didn't wanna pay that much, so I kept looking. This morning, I found a company, in New York, that would sell me two 360 degree servos that are analog and metal geared for $17.76. That's a much better price....so, I ordered them.

I've decided to start the build with the tail section because I need to know the "finished width" measurement of the tail section so that I can be sure to build the tail of the fuselage so that it will allow the tail section to slide into the tail of the fuselage. I just got back from one of the local craft stores and I bought a bunch of balsa and basswood sheets and strips. I already have a bunch of 1/8" plywood, so I should have all that I need for the tail section.

I can't even begin to tell you guys how badly I want this plane, lol. I have attached a picture of the plane that I'm going to build. This is the plane that I have been searching for replacement or comparable motors for the Eflight Power 15 motors.

Attachments

• Gemini v2 UAV.jpg
    Gemini v2 UAV.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 5

Admiral

Looks like a well planned and thought out project.

Do you build and re-build in your head instead of getting to sleep ? That part of it drives me nuts.

Derek

Yes....ive only started this build tonight but ive lost a lot of sleep over this plane over the past few weeks.

Derek

Starting to see a fuselage

Attachments

• 20180211_004536.jpg
    20180211_004536.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20180211_004552.jpg
    20180211_004552.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 4

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
That plane is going to be big and sweet looking. It's starting to look like something now. Let the madness begin Lol. Looks good Derek :). Keep up the good work and pics!

Derek

Here is a bit of video of my 4 year old daughter, Makayla, showing how much of a good helper she is. This is no scrap piece of wood that she's sanding. This is one of the fuselage sides of my Gemini build. She's so gentle but efficient.

below, picture 1 shows that I've made 2 cuts into the vertical stabilizer so that I can epoxy in two 1/8" plywood joiners. These are currently "T" shaped but they will be sanded down to the same contour as the rest of the top of the stab. These joiners were added to connect all the upper parts of the stab to the core of the stab...the foam. I'm sure there is a bit of rigidity that is added...maybe. There are also two squares cut into the top of the foam so that I could epoxy two blind nuts, or T nuts, in place for the two 10-24 cap head screws that will secure the horizontal stab.

Picture 2 shows that I have cut out the centers of each of the 3 bulk heads and I have glued them in place. I used lengths of 3/8" x 3/8" poplar to add rigidity and also have more material to glue to.

Picture 3 just shows a dry fitting of the vertical stab to the fuselage

Attachments

• Added Joiners.jpg
    Added Joiners.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 4
  • bulkheads cutout and glued.jpg
    bulkheads cutout and glued.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 4
  • dry fitting tail.jpg
    dry fitting tail.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 4

Derek

I've been working on the main wing section for the Gemini v2. After getting the inner parts of the main wing nearly done, I couldn't help setting the wing on the fuselage

Attachments

• Gemini Left.jpg
    Gemini Left.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 2
  • Gemini Nose.jpg
    Gemini Nose.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Gemini Right.jpg
    Gemini Right.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 2

Derek

just in case anyone might be interested, here is a bit of video that shows my progress with my Gemini v2 UAV build

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Nice looking build Derek. It's starting to like like something now. Keep up the great work and pics too :).

Derek

Thanks guys! It's really starting to look like an endurance plane now. I'll post updates as I progress.

Top Bottom