Motors gearing

Tony

Staff member
Do a google search for 12th scale rc cars and check out the rear axle. It's a straight axle with the spur gear mounted directly to it with the motor pinion riding on the spur. They are running something like a 72 spur with an 11 pinion. And these are running on a 1.5" tire/wheel combo. Larger wheels, go with a larger spur.

rcnoob159

so dose than mean i should us a 72 spur and a 11 pinion with a 1.5" tire and will that will work good and have good amout of torque

Tony

Staff member
As stated, if you want to use larger wheels, you can just raise the size of the spur gear. And yes, it should have plenty of torque. And even better, doing it with a solid rear axle, not only is it more simple to build, but it will be cheaper to build because you will only need one motor, one ESC and one battery.

Tony

Staff member
Then this will give you a back up. I just don't see any reason to use two motors when you are going to use gearing which only requires one motor.

rcnoob159

so if i want a 2" tire how many would the spur have

- - - Updated - - -

I was going to use 2 motors because I was not planing on doing gears and I im not using a servo to turn

- - - Updated - - -

and i don't really under stand all this gearing stuff

Tony

Staff member
Not using a servo to turn will make it quite a bit harder to get going IMO. All gearing is, is a reduction in rpm to raise torque. What I stated above is the simplest gear reduction you can do. There are other ways like using an actual transmission with 3 gears inside it to reduce the gearing even more thus gaining even more torque. As for what exact gearing, you are just going to have to build it and see how it goes. Check motor temp and top speed.

Tony

Staff member
That ESC is made for aircraft (planes, helicotpers, quads...). You need a sensored ESC which run anywhere from $30 to $200. Make sure to read the page if you want reverse.

Tony

Staff member
I can't say yes or no. I have never tried to connect a sensored motor to a non sensored ESC.

rcnoob159

It works :> but the motor dose not have wires to attch to my speed controller i wander if you cant my those i don't want to solder it directly

Tony

Staff member
Your only option is to solder directly. that is the way it was made. But, you could cut the wires in half from the ESC (or purchase new wire) and solder one end to the motor then put bullet connectors where you cut the wire so it's a quick disconnect.

Top Bottom