250 Gaui X3. With castle edge and neo

murankar

Staff member
Looks like I may have activated the servo extender app. I will check tonight when I get home.

murankar

Staff member
Problem overted. Had to change from neo extended to bed basic in the apps section. If you have a neo you know what I mean.

trainrider06

Oh lord! My head was spinning looking at all that complicated wire fixin man!
You are a lot braver than me to tackle that system! Oh did you re do the wires and bullets?
That for sure looked like some stress fracture, or even wire breakage inside that wire.
How are you liking that system man? Looks like one would be able to get some infinit adjustability out of it!
Radio looks pretty cool too, saw some advertised in AMA mag the other day. Cool looking radio!

murankar

Staff member
As for the wire: It was not broke, it was bending at the end of the solder wicking. Gave the feel that it was. I trimmed back the tinned wire a bit and resoldered the bullet.

The wiring on this kit for the motor, esc abd bec can get complicated quickly. Yes you will need to trim the wires to the esc and maybe the motor. I did end up using the whole I pointed out in the video. It does work much better.

As for the radio, I have only a handful of flights with it. Maybe 12 or so, then my incident happened which grounded the bird for almost 4 months. I dont want to turn this into a review at this moment but... Do I like it? Yes, is it easy to use? kinda. Will take time to learn? Yes.

Lets get to the nuts and bolts of the radio itself. No trims on the face, why because the gyro hate them so they ditched them. Throttle curves are gone, you are given flat curves and a linear pitch curve, thats it. Its really meant to be used with the Neo governor (or any governor for that matter), and if you have a castle edge, yge or kontronic your just abut golden. The gyro setup is done in the radio from start to finish, the tuning is done in the radio from start to finish. As of a couple weeks ago Mikado introduced a bump sensor for the your batteries (you'll have to read up on it because its really cool), the bump sensor has also been utilized by Power Labs on their chargers also (again you'll need to read up on it because its really cool). The Vbar Neo has 2 telemetry ports for sending back data to the radio, the big one is pack voltage. None-the-less you have telemetry. Mikado dropped the throttle hold deal. Its no longer a throttle hold like on Specktrum. It now Motor Off/Motor Idle/Run. Motor off is just that motor not spinning; Motor idle is a not a simple, from off to Idle the motor is stopped but if you go from run to idle it drops the head speed down to a pre set (normally 30% throttle) percentage so that if you decide to "bail out" of an auto you don't go to soft start. This also plays well with learning autos or you have a small 360/450 class heli that you want to auto. It can be setup as a cheater for autos, gives you just enough constant head speed to float the heli in. Since the video was done in 4K if you pause the video when I show the screen and you look just below center screen you may see a tiny circle. That is a light senor for auto adjusting screen brightness. A nice thing about the radio is that it comes with a GensAce Lipo right out of the gate. Its truly lipo ready. As for extra safety the radio is equipped with a lock. This lock is mandatory to have set, you choose the switch (BTW that is what caused me to crash). What the lock does is it renders the radio useless (and turns off the motor) while it is on with or without a model turned on. This is to prevent you for doing an accidental spool up. The Neo can be extended by daisy chaining more Neos in line, nice for any extra servos you may need (think planks or scale helis).

Just so I dont just dump all the positives one bad thing for me is that I cant tweek any settings to the model without it being plugged in. In fact the menu options change from no model state (model turned off) and a model present state. So If I want to play around the model needs to be on. Another negative is the pay for upgrades to the NEO. In order to get bailout/self level it will cost you an extra $100 or so dollars. With that you get a schload of features, one is airplane mode.

Now I dont have the pay for addons yet. So my functionality is kind of limited, like no pro settings for the governor, no bail out/auto level features and few other things. Mostly its stock with the free apps for more function.

Last edited:

trainrider06

It sounds really neat, but sounds like you are limited to Mikado receivers only? With that radio? Or can you use Futababa, Spektrum receivers? That other models have? I have noticed Gensace, has a battery called the Tattu also. Wonder if they are being absorbed by another company?

murankar

Staff member
Yes that's the whole point behind the radio. It locks you into Mikado. Now what you can do is use the non tx ready Neo and ad what ever rx/tx setup you want. SO if you want to use the Neo then get the Non rx ready version and plug in your wires for what ever brand you want. Now you will not have full radio integration like on the vcontrol but you will have things like banks, governor and tail gain, but you will be required to use the lappy to tune, or what ever cellphone or tablet you want.

The power of the Neo comes when it is linked to a vcontrol. Hands down its probably the best thing to happen in this hobby. Now that Jeti has caught the bug for integration we are now seeing a legit competitor against Mikado.

As for gensAce its a Chinese company, they rip each other off all the time. Not that there is much difference in the packs. Either they made a new model of pack or they were bought out or the bought another company. Hard to say with the asians.

Smoggie

I think Tattu is the product line targeted at multirotor users, and Gens-Ace label focusses on 'regular' fixed wing and heli flyers.. But it's all part of the same business.

As i mentioned in the other thread, you can't program the Neo with a cellphone or tablet or any other wireless device (unlike the 'old' Vbar which had that feature). You have to hook up a PC or laptop by hard wire USB. Mikado in their wisdom removed bluetooth functionality from the Neo along with the limited 3rd party Tx integration that was previously available (i.e. gain adjustment).. the only reason i can see that they did this is to force loyal users over to Vcontrol.

murankar

Staff member
If you need Bluetooth, cellphone/tablet support and tail gain adjustment in your radio then Vbar neo is not for you. Personally I don't need any of that because my radio supports all of that. For ME, I don't want to rely on any of those if I don't have to. I may not have a smartphone, a tablet or a lappy. What I do know is that I will have my radio. If for some reason I don't have that then all I need is to borrow a Vcontrol from someone. All my settings are in the neo not the radio.

The only other options for me outside of the neo would be either a vortex/Jeti combo or beastx on a dx 9. That's just what I would run. I
I currently have a dx6 I use also for my 180cfx. I am willing to have a second radio for things like the cfx or sim. I have accepted that. Hell the sim link for the vcontrol is $100.

I am not saying the Mikado brand is the end all be all. I am not saying you have to get it. I am just trying to give an option. I personally do not push a particular product. I know what works for me won't work for everyone else. I always list multiple brands for that reason. In the end the only thing that matters is that you can fly.

Last edited:

trainrider06

I wonder if some day soon someone figures out a way to hack the radio, to use different RX? Ah but you said the settings remain in the FBL controller though I believe.
It looks like a nice system, but as you say one would need be kinda dedicated to the brand. It wouldn't surprise me if other brand makers followed this trend, well they sort of do already I guess, but this is taking it to another level it seems.
I have to give you praise there murankar, for wading knee deep into this system, myself I'm glad you did, because that's someone else who can provide help and info to myself and others that may try this particular system!

murankar

Staff member
Yes once you go this route you are kinda dedicated. As for the settings only the gyro settings are in the gyro. Your switch assignments are based in the radio.

Now others are following suit. Jeti is working with vortex (angelos) and has spirit already available. The one I really want to see is Specktrum and BeastX.

trainrider06

I'm going to order me a Spirit Pro for my 500 I think, after the nasty crash I had, and what it cost to fix it, I could have already paid for the Spirit in the parts I ruined!
May get one for my 450L that I'm building right now later on.

Smoggie

I've got a Spirit Pro in my Goblin 630, it's the FBL I'd recommend. Flies great and has all the latest features such as rescue and stability modes right out of the box.

Setup is maybe not quite as intuitive as some controllers but it's not bad, and there is good support available on the Spirit forum, or right here!

trainrider06

I've got a Spirit Pro in my Goblin 630, it's the FBL I'd recommend. Flies great and has all the latest features such as rescue and stability modes right out of the box.

Setup is maybe not quite as intuitive as some controllers but it's not bad, and there is good support available on the Spirit forum, or right here!

Good to know, I am sure with my Pea brain I'll have plenty of questions!:)

trainrider06

Don't feel bad trainrider06 :no: that's why I went with this Spektrum AR7300BX 7CH DSMX Flybarless Control System w/ BeastX SPMAR7300BX - Nitro Hobbies Inc. on the 500. It was cheap and eazy opps :facepalm: that was my x- wife, sorry. Lol
Yeah D.O.G. I was going to go with another either 7200, or 7300 but I am thinking since I smacked the 500 a good one that I really should get some sort of system with a bail out for at least my larger heli. If I'd had that on there that day I coulda saved it, gotten orientation of it and flew her home! I'll run the trusty BeastX on my 450's and move up on the 500 larger heli's.

holtneil

Hi Rodney the new beastx you can down load bail out for $80 but I would still go with the Spirit pro every time works really well and is a lot cheaper

Top Bottom