380/420 Gaui X3 Tail Servo

sneezy007

Hi guys,

I've installed a new tail servo into my X3. I centered the servo before installation and checked the movement of the servo arm. It has a full range of motion. Once I installed it and hooked up the tail pushrod, it now limits the motion of the servo to hardly anything. As soon as I unhook the pushrod, it moves freely once again.

I'm scratching my head on this one. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
Dino

Admiral

When the push rod is disconnected does the tail move freely, the push rod or the tail slider may be binding.

Admiral

What is the tail servo I had issues with an MKS DS95i before I realized that it's working frequency was 760μs / 560hz

murankar

Staff member
So that servo info recall is the same as the align ds420 or that line. What ever spec the align servo is that is what that servo is. Savox made the ds line of servos for a few years as a rebrand. I think (I can't really remember off the top box My head) it's in the 1200 range.

If the settings are not the issue make sure you have a properly working pitch slider.

Also look at your travel limits.

sneezy007

Something is making the servo bind when it's connected to the push rod. I connected the push rod only to the tail and both move smoothly. When I connect the push rod to the servo and not the tail, it restricts the movement of the servo. This is without any power.
Thanks, guys.

Admiral

The Minimum voltage for that servo is 6V and frequency is 1520μs / 333hz, from here I would try reaming out the ball link to ensure there is no friction, and trying it without the push rod passing through the push rod guide, if the problem still exists it would have to be the servo itself. Do you have another servo you can try, even if it's not a proper tail servo just to see is it works better.

Tony

Staff member
I would try bending the linkage rod to approximately where it is when it is on the servo and seeing if there is any binding in the tail that way. Then I would be looking for the linkage end to be hitting the helicopter body or the servo body when it is installed. If none of that, then I'm scratching my head on this one. Any chance of an up close video by chance?

sneezy007

Thanks Tony, I'll check it out. The servo is mounted on the left side of the heli as you look at it from the tail. I had to cut the servo arm down and I don't think it's rubbing on the FBL tray above the arm. I'll have to get a bright light in there to take a look.

Perhaps it's something I did with the servo? Are you supposed to centre the servo before you install it? I have a servo tester that allows me to check the range of motion as well as an auto centre feature. I used the auto centre and then installed it? Could that be causing the problem?

Tony

Staff member
No, I don't think that is the issue. Centering the servo just puts it in the center so you can get your linkage adjusted. Try this, put the linkage back on the servo and connect the servo to the servo tester and see what it does then. If you have a rotary knob, use it to move the servo. I'm going to bet it is hitting something with the linkage end since it only does it with the linkage on the servo.

sneezy007

Thanks Tony, let me give it a try. Maybe it is hitting the top of the FBL tray? I was sure I cut down the arm far enough.
I'll keep you posted.

sneezy007

Ok found the problem. I had to move the servo arm a couple of teeth to the left. Now I have the full range of motion on the tail when I pull it back and forth manually.

Next problem, I plugged in my servo tester. The servo starts singing and won't move when I use auto centre and turn the pot.
Is this a voltage issue? I plan to install an Ikon 2 on the heli.

sneezy007

Ok onto the installation of the Ikon2. I did install an Ikon2 on my other X3, that was quite awhile ago. I may have more questions, I did make a lot of notes. Hopefully that will help.

Thanks for your help with the servo issue. That's why I love this forum. Everyone helps no matter how basic the question is. No one makes any comments, they just help.

Cheers,
Dino

Top Bottom