380/420 Gaui X3 Repair

sneezy007

Hey guys,

I'm going to start repair work on my Gaui X3. I crashed it last September and am finally getting around to fixing it. I'm quite nervous about this whole process as I've never repaired a heli before. In fact I've never built one from scratch. I'm debating tearing it right down and pretending like it's a new build just so I can get familiar with this whole process.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as I go along. I'm also going to replace the AR7200BX with an Ikon2.
Any suggestions or advice before I get going?

Thanks,
Dino

Tony

Staff member
I can't wait. There is nothing like tearing apart a complete helicopter down to individual pieces and assembling them without a manual. That stuff is better than therapy and a hell of a lot less expensive lol.

Admiral

Hi Sneezy, don't take any short cuts, check every shaft, bearing and gear, nothing worse than rebuilding a helicopter and taking out for a test fly to find you have missed something and have to do it all over again.

Great choice going iKon2, just follow Tony's videos for the setup you can't go wrong.

Tony

Staff member
If you can get to the head of the screws, you can cut a slot and use a flat blade screw driver to take them out. If that won't work, then get a 4mm drill bit, 3 might work as well, and drill out the head of the bolt.

sneezy007

Nothing worse than stripped screws. I bought this heli used from an expert builder and pilot. This is my first time repairing it and of course I just noticed the stripped screws.

Tried 3 different solutions with no luck. I may have to try the hacksaw or dremel next.

Smoggie

Good quality hex drivers is the best protection from stripped heads on screws, also don't overtighten them.

If the sockets do round off cutting a screwdriver slot with a dremel cutting disk usually works.

Good luck, it's really frustrating when you hit these snags.

sneezy007

Looks like I'm going to have to go out and buy a Dremel. Everything I tried didn't work.

Question about the Ikon 2, do you need a satellite with it for the X3?

Tony

Staff member
If you are running a separate receiver, then you will more than likely be okay. If you are not running any kind of receiver, then definitely yes. But even with a receiver, I would still run a satellite just for diversity.

Another thing you can do, and I have done this with success, is to use left handed drill bits. It will do one of two things. 1. it will do what I posted above and just drill the head off so that you can take the side plates off and grab it with a pair of pliers and pull it out. or 2. if you go slow enough and with enough pressure, the bit will dig in and back the screw out which is what they are designed to do.

And I just thought of this. It sounds like you have some thread locker on that bolt. Holding a hot soldering iron on the head of the bolt for a minute or two could loosen that up enough for you to back it out. Even with a stripped head. Just cock the allen driver sideways at something like a 25º angle and push hard and turn. I have gotten them out this way as well.

Also, if the sharp edges of your allen drivers are starting to get rounded over, you can file or grind down that head of the driver to get back to fresh material that has a sharp corner.

Can you tell that I have had to take out my fare share of stripped screws and bolts? lmao.

sneezy007

I was plannng on just running the Ikon. I'll add a satellite to it then.

Thanks for the other suggestions regarding the stripped screw.
Dino

Smoggie

heat on the screws also helps soften the Loctite. Best way is to heat the screw with a soldering iron then quickly before it cools, screw it out. This is best done before you strip the head of the screw!

sneezy007

Another question on the Ikon. I was just checking out the demo mode.
It doesn't have the X3 listed. The closest size is a Gaui 450. Could I use that one?

Top Bottom