380/420 Gaui X3 Maiden

Admiral

Maiden flight of the new Gaui X3 yesterday, a couple of issues probably because I used an old Motor & ESC that had been stored away for a couple of years, but the Airframe flew great, I'm sure this going to become one of my favorites when all sorted out.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Something happened to the rendered video, not sure what is going on there. Definitely looked like the tail gain was a touch too high and the gear mesh sounded just slightly too tight in one spot on the main gear. Simple issues. Wish I could have seen more of the flight.

Admiral

Just realised what I did, I forgot that I hadn't copied it to the HDD and pulled the SD card, not only stopped the rendering also wiped the original files. I'll try a recovery and see if I can fix it.

Last edited:

Admiral

But at least you got 8.21 seconds of video, proves it happened at least.

Recovered and reloaded should be OK now

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
That second flight looked much better. What is it about the motor that you are not liking?

Admiral

It feels very slow to recover when you descend and the apply power, I'm about to hook it up to Castle Link and check all the settings if there is nothing in the ESC settings that helps it is probably the motor getting a bit tired.
I have a second motor the same I'll try swapping them over and see if that helps.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thank you for sharing Admiral. I'm not sure but isn't your tail system tilted to the right a good amount instead of being centered? Stop the video around 2:11 and check it out. Just my opinion.

Admiral

That was after the tail strike at 1:58 where I busted the vertical stabiliser, I was lucky that I didn't put it in or damage the torque tube.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
My bad sorry. Still I hope you enjoy flying your X3 the way I enjoyed mine. That's one of the reason I went ahead and purchased the X3L because the way the X3 flew very well foe me :).

Admiral

Yes I could tell that it going to be great just a bit of fine tuning and maybe some swapping of gear, I would have loved to have built it with all new gear but being retired you always look where you can save a bit of money and I had the 6S Castle ESC & 2 x Scorpion motor sitting there for a couple of years so I thought I may as well try them.

Admiral

The same flight from a different angle, I was taking no risks of missing the video, and copping :voidh: from you guys.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Sweet Admiral. What do you have your throttle curves set at? I had mine set @ 1) straight 80 and 2) straight 85. Now with the X3L I had to increase it to 1) straight 85 and 2) straight 90. Just seem to me it needs a little more rpm. Just a thought :).

murankar

Staff member
Add some pitch and or head speed. Your head speed though sounds about right. Somewhere around 3200 I would guess. You could be dunkin and go to 3800 if you have the head room to do it. I fly mine around 3000 on flight mode 3 or iu 3. I go as low as 2700 with 13 degrees of pitch. I have never been a fan of high head speeds.

Admiral

Because the motor I'm running is higher KV than recommended (2010 KV) I'm running straight 70 Normal, 75 IU1 & 80 IU 2 .

Flew it again today it was better than last week but still lags in regaining power when the helicopter is descending causing some anguish moments I will change the motor I am sure that will make a difference.

No video this week, left both videos sitting on the desk charging, so it never happened.

murankar

Staff member
Either that or jump down in a pinion size. the smallest you can get is an 11T. The kits comes with a 13T I believe. Then run a governor if you can, if not a run a V curve.

Admiral

A change of motor and ESC resolved all of the problems on the Gaui 3X it is now a sweet number to fly, today in the mail I received the next project, it will be a while before it's completed as I going to be away a bit over the next month or so starting in two days. I have a full set of servos for the new build MKS95 & 95i, I have a suitable ESC but may need to buy a suitable motor.

IMG_4136 (Medium).JPG

Tony

Staff member
So you are going to show us this, and then leave for a month leaving us in suspense... You are starting to sound like me hahahaha. Glad the new motor and ESC are working out though!

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Sweet Admiral. I was wondering when you where going to get one. I'm very pleased with mine and hope you will be too. I just got my RT 386mm blades for mine. I was using RJX 362mm blades. I just put my spare 362mm blades for sale :).

Top Bottom