Motors Gas motor for 12ft Telemaster

I have been flying a 6ft Telemaster and I love it. I now have the bug to build a 12 footer. The plans show the use of an electric motor but no other information regarding the use of any other power source. I know that electric motors have come a long ways but I want to use a gas powered motor. The flight weight for the 12ft Telemaster is between 31 and 33 pounds. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to which size gasoline motor I should use?

Tony

Staff member
From what I'm reading, something around a 26cc to a 30cc should work if you are wanting to run gas. Should give you plenty of power as well. If you are going to be pulling any kind of weight, you might think of the DLE35. If I was to build a 3D gasser, that is the engine I would use. Very reliable.

Thank you Toni. It is very difficult to find information on what these engines can handle. I know glow motors best, very little about gas motors, but electric motors are a total mystery to me. Every once in awhile model manufacturers give information on motors in 2 or 3 of the motor categories, which is very helpful.

Tony

Staff member
Your right about that. It just takes time and a LOT of google searching in order to find what you are looking for. I found the information on the 12' wing telemaster on hobby-lobby's website. It was the kit version that had the 26cc engine recommendation but that kit is no longer available. My search parameters were "12 foot telemaster gas engine" just in case you wanted to look for yourself. And below is the link to the plane where I read the info. It's at the bottom of the description

12 Foot Telemaster Balsa Kit from Hobby Lobby.

Thank you for the site info. I went there and saw that they do suggested the Zenoha G26. In the review section of that site, one gent used a Zenoha G38 and another who used a Fuji G50. The gent with the G38 said it gave the Tele tons of power without overpowering it. The Fuji G50 guy put everything imaginable in and on his Tele.

DAL2855

Banned
My 70.6" wingspan CMPro Marathon had a DLE30 on it swinging an 18x8 prop on it and it weighed in around 15-16lbs RTF. So I don't quite think the DLE35 will be big enough for a plane that large. I would probably go with either the DLE55 or larger on it!

Tony

Staff member
A 50cc on a tele? WOW! I would be worried about the wings buckling before that engine started to break a sweat lol. Good luck and post LOTS of pictures and videos of the build!!!!

DAL2855

Banned
I'm thinking about the sheer weight of it compared to my CMPro Marathon Tony. It will be twice the weight and more than twice the wingspan so yeah it will need a much larger motor!

Telemasters are not aerobically inclined. They are slow fliers and with their great wings and lifting tail they are made to carry heavy loads. In a review I read, this guy put a 50 in a 12 footer and loaded it down with all kinds of stuff and even towed banners and gliders. Another fella put a 38 in one and said it had tons of power. I guess the engine size will be dictated by what you want to do with your plane. My flight instructor has a 1/4 scale J3 Cub that he powers with an older Zenoha 26 and it flys very well. Thanx gents for your comments and advice.

Top Bottom