General Gaba wants to build a foamie! :)

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I wanna start in planes too.. I like them. I haven't ever had one so.. Wanna start in foam so I can crash.. Not balsa.. I asked Tony he recommended the blu-baby... The plans are kinda confusing... I like it though...
Anyone with a plan that's readable / doable by a noob.

I really like how rcfoamfighters puts their plans.. Wish I could build a jet... that's what I really want... Can I start on a jet? Is there a way I can slow those suckers down? :) I know there are a lot of people who have done planes so... Help! :)

Can y'all help me with.... Ummm... Let's say... EVERYTHING! :D I'll really appreciate that! :)

Thanks y'all! :)

64impala

Gaba,
I built the 60 in bbap1 in my prop.section. jets are fast intimidating but not too hard let's see.... you can fly a helo and have a sim. See where I'm going, you have more skill already than needed to fly these things. Go to rcgroups scratchbuilt foamies. I have lots of pdf files I can email you but they almost all cme from rcg. Me and tony can help as well as several others here that I know fly fixedwing.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
i know!! i went there... it was a little to much info for a lot less explanation.. lol... so freaked and posted here! :) :) still need help.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
i think of it .. i am gonna take my chances. I am gonna build a prop jet. may be the f22 that tony built.. from rcfoamies. and just build that sucker. Lets see how it goes. Sound good? now help me with the motor and esc please.. :) I will order mg90s servos .. i have one extra, will order like three more... and have 4 2200 mah batteries, so my expenditure will be minimum. All i have to get is the foam board, motor esc, arms for servo (which i donno how that works), a new xacto, and a propeller blade (which I also need help with) .. lol, and thats pretty much it. cant harm... worst comes to terrible, i will loose a foam body, well.. whatever... the electronics dont die that fast.... and the foam is gonna be like 5 dollars every time.. so i think i can handle that.. Not help me guys... tell me where to go.. :)

Tony

Staff member
If you want the motor that is spec'd for that plane, get the "Super Mega Jet" kit from Grayson Hobbies. It should push that plane upwards of 60-70mph. They claim 80, but I'm not seeing that lol. And, you can get away with plastic gear "cheap" servos, but metal gear won't fail in a crash. If you don't want the super mega jet combo, you can get the mega jet. It's a little cheaper, but a little slower.

64impala

Mg servos really are not needed for these plain 9g servos work great I'm running 7gturnigy on my 117 and it flies great.these servos are only 3 bucks for a pair! You can do these cheap.

llommel

Tony, I see you referenced Grayson Hobby. Has anyone had any experience ordering from them? There prices look good. They haven't returned phone calls or e-mails that I've sent. Anyone got any feedback?

RCD

Glencairn Drone
Tony, I see you referenced Grayson Hobby. Has anyone had any experience ordering from them? There prices look good. They haven't returned phone calls or e-mails that I've sent. Anyone got any feedback?

Every couple months I order from them. Great products! No complaints.

llommel

Thanks for the reply RCD. I placed an order today & got & e-mail from them saying everything would ship next day.:calm:

llommel

Hi guys, I built a couple foamies. An ES5a bi-wing & a blu-baby trainer. I'm having trouble with them on the ground.
When I run them down the driveway, they want to spin around. Can't make them go straight to even take off.
Both are tail draggers. Anything That I can do fix this? Any suggestion?

Tony

Staff member
First thing, check to make sure your wheels are spinning free. If they are not, it will cause this issue. Also, make sure you have decent steering with the rudder/tail wheel, if you don't, yup, it will cause this issue lol.

The other thing, what's your motor angle? If it's off too far to one side, again it will cause this. And how big is your rudder and is it straight?

Make sure you are not really nose heavy either. You need some weight on that tail. and in this aspect, I mean nose heavy when balanced on the wheels. It should always drop the tail, and never the nose. Don't get this confused with the actual flying CoG. Also, a short video and a close up of the plane could help in this.

llommel

Thanks, Tony
I'll try to get some video soon. They're predicting snow here so I'm not sure when I'll get the vids.

llommel

Just took off the stick I was using for the tail dragger & made a wheel instead. Mounted it below the rudder, goes straight now. Didn't mount the wheel to turn with the rudder tho. I've got 0* offset on the motor, will see how it flies when the weather changes :upset: Didn't get the snow they said we would but tommorrow is another day.
Googled "rc engine mounting", found info that said mount from 0 to 1 1/2*, will see how "0" works.
Thanks again for the info.

Tony

Staff member
At full throttle, 0* will more than likely cause it to pitch up and to the left. That is why most ARF's are built with down and right angles on the firewall. Get it on video, I wanna see :biggrin1:

llommel

Took the baby blue out today & my nephew was going fly it while I took video. Hand launch & went up about 15 feet & came back down on the nose.:upset::upset:
Broke the motor mount, back to the repair shop. It was tail heavy. Will try again after repair.

zenmetsu

My fiancé wants to fly, but I doubt that she'd do well with a heli. I was thinking of getting a foamie myself; they look like a lot of fun. I just need to find something easy to fly, slow, and cheap/easy to repair. Initial cost is not a big problem if it keeps repair pains to a minimum.

Tony

Staff member
I think if you get her an mSRx or some other small fixed pitch like that, she will pick it up quite quickly. Women have better hand eye coordination than men do and thus should pick it up faster. They just are not interested in juvenile projects like we are :biggrin1:

Top Bottom