Fusion 360 - A Journey Into Quad Design

bigone5500

I have been wanting to design my own quad frame for quite some time now. Watching Tony design my custom quad antenna mount in Fusion 360 was very interesting to me. I believe I could possibly learn this software fairly quickly. I have found a series of tutorials on the autodesk website. I'll be going through them in order to learn how to use the software as well as exporting completed projects for use in CNC machining or 3D printing. I signed up and got a startup/hobbyist license. I'll be posting some renders of what I learn with it.

bigone5500

It's ok. It will be a looooong time before I can really consider buying a printer. At least another 6 months. By then I may not even be able to get one. Till then...

bigone5500

Over the last couple weeks, I have been tinkering with fusion and the printer. This has been a fairly fun adventure. There is so much this software can do. I will never skim the surface of its capabilities. I find it extremely satisfying that I can 'draw' something on my computer and in a fair amount of time have a physical object in my hand. Not just an aesthetic one. An object with functionality and purpose. My base plate for the Micro Alien turned out great. I decided that I wanted a camera mount for the top. SO I downloaded one from thingiverse and printed it...but it won't work for the micro frame. Then I figured I'd just print one for my 5" quad. Nah, I'm not going to print someone else's work. I'll do it on my own. I did sorta copy the design of the previous one but I had to figure out how to draw it in fusion. I worked on it for about an hour or two and when I got it to where I was happy, I printed it.

Bottom line is this stuff is super fun and very educational. The price of 3D printers now days makes it easy for just about anyone to start making stuff for themselves or for others (job). Grab yourself a printer and a copy of fusion 360 (free startup license). You won't regret it.

I'm including a copy of the camera mount I made. The base of it is 35 x 35mm and has a 30° angle. The holes are 2.5mm but can be drilled to 3mm. It also includes an embossed '30°' logo. The hole spacing probably won't work for you but you can simply hold the mount to the top plate and mark for your holes. Have fun. File is in .STL format.

20190817_202859.jpg

Attachments

• 30 Degree Camera Mount 35x35 v4.zip
    29.3 KB · Views: 2

Tony

Staff member
I would like to note the thread JUST BEFORE his post about making his own parts... lol.

Now show us a picture of it on the quad with a camera attached...

Tony

Staff member
Doesn't have to be recording, but that would make for a nice story behind the picture...

bigone5500

Turns out I need to get some 2.5mm screws. I'm not going to file out my frame for this thing to fit.

bigone5500

I started working on the frame design. I have the arms done in Fusion and will start working on the body. This quad will have replaceable arms. I have not thought about what the body will look like but something close the the alien design.

Frames are cheap to buy. But if I can get this one done for not much more than a pre-built one, I'll do it. But I'm not going to pay an exorbitant amount for this.

frame.jpg

Tony

Staff member
One thing to keep in mind is the time it takes to actually print this stuff. It takes a LONG time to print. Can't wait to see what you come up with though.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I started working on the frame design. I have the arms done in Fusion and will start working on the body. This quad will have replaceable arms. I have not thought about what the body will look like but something close the the alien design.

Frames are cheap to buy. But if I can get this one done for not much more than a pre-built one, I'll do it. But I'm not going to pay an exorbitant amount for this.

View attachment 22269

I wish you the best on your journey :). Can I make a suggestion? I would think about strengthen the center and make it a little bit wider. Take a look at this quad at the center where everything meets. Just to give you an idea. HGLRC Arrow 3 Hybrid 3" Frame KitDefault Title

bigone5500

Those are just the arms. There will be much more to it later. There will be an upper and lower base plate. Then again I may start over and make a single piece lower. That way I could only worry about the top plate. Could very well be lighter too.

Top Bottom