Fun flying day yesterday . one crash :(

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
SO finally weather was beautiful outside to take my nitro and my warp out there and just fly. Went with a friend Bill, who needed help setting up and maiden-ing his 600 nitro. THat went beautifully. Nothing more satisfying than getting to help a friend successfully. :)

So, after helping him , I take my Vibe 50 out with its 91 engine purring beautifully.. I had just replumbed everything installing all new lines, and sealing washers. I had installed the JR's stock Fuel pick up line inside the tank . It was very flixible, but also I felt it was a smaller diameter .. I tried comparing it, and I just thought it looked that way cause the walls were thinner. Oh well ..

All was good. Engine was making amazing power, and al of a sudden I hear very metallic noise.. Engine was not happy at all.. Landed it, it was hot. I left it ideling, and richened it a bit. I was already at 1.5 turns out or more on each needle, so no i wasnt burning the engine via the tune..

Well anywaz.. doing a bunch of crazy stuff .. as crazy as I can get .. or as much as I know. Well .. All of a sudden after a bunch of having fun.. I hear a pop and a grind and a halt.. and the heli is in the air.. inverted.. about like 10 feet or less from the ground. In the background I hear SIGHS!!! OH NOS..!! and yes I was in trouble. Well.. I still stuck hard aileron on the sucker and got it down on its right skid.. and by then the blades were slowed down to where there was no more controlling. Tipped over and thats it.

engine is RED hot. I couldnt even touch the thing. Broken landing skid in the back.. and the muffler was hanging loose.

I dont know if the muffler hanging loose caused the engine to lean out, out of proportion or the thin pick up line. Whatever it was.. something caused the lean out, and I checked the needles after the crash and yes I was atleast 1.5 turns out on each.

So .. opened it up.. and yep its a mess. Here are the pics.. The bearings are toast. Piston has a big hole in it. The liner has marks from the metal shavings grinding on it.. there is crap ALL over in the engine. All that is saved or useable is Crank, crank case , piston rod, and carb. LOL

So its a full rebuild which now a days is as much as a used engine after putting a new ring and bearings in it. Lol .. SO i am looking. :)

Warp 360 had 3 amazing flights. Had near crashes twice.. Its flights are on video.. I will upload those. but hey I was trying new stuff. And till I try new stuff I am not gonna make progress. I need to make some progress in my flying.

ANYWHEW... Thats my weekend of flying.. How was yours?

photo 3(2).jpg
photo 2(4).jpg
photo 1(3).jpg

photo 1(3).jpg

photo 2(4).jpg

photo 3(2).jpg

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
My weekend of flying... Well, I flew the mcpx for two batteries... but that was it lmao.

That really sucks about the heli bro. Did you take the carb apart to see if there was trash in the needles? I would. Might be time to go to some 5mm fuel line on this thing.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
i just uploaded the photographs... I cant decide.. The muffler wasnt BROKEN off. the threads had almost like pulled off the muffler flange. So there are no threads in it. and the way the mp-2 muffler is.. you saw.. you cant use nylock threads behind it.

Tony

Staff member
Post up a picture of the muffler. I might have an idea. Need to see the flange at different angles.

murankar

Staff member
Sorry to hear about the miss fortune. I feel your pain on that. Hope you find a new/used motor.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Tony

Staff member
What sucks is this is a 50 size helicopter with a 90 size engine, adn I did the work. I think he has only flown this thing about 5 times, if that since I returned it to him lmao. And only one short hover video out of the whole thing...

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
ok so today I got offered some SMACKING deals on some awesome engines. I had to let one go.. I was being offered a YS120!!!!! couldn't buy it.. just was a bit off budget... but what i did snag is a OS 91HZ converted to HZ-R by "his excellency", the very person who designed the OS's DRS system.. James ONEAL from OMI systems.

So apparently James O Neal was modifying OS carbs to regulated systems (making them a closed loop system) for a far superior fuel delivery system, by using the Cline regulators. Cline regular was a design of John Cline I think (I might be wrong on the first name) .. But this was the pre cursor to all the OS system .

OS recognized this mod to be a GREAT one, their team pilots tested it, and OS decided to make a deal with James to get his design and make their own pre modified engines. hence the HZ-R DRS carburetors.

james was geting bombarded with requests to modify carbs and as he was doing it himself, there was more "liability" with no warranty so of course, he decided this was a better option.

These mods were made for OS91SZ engines.. The engine before OS 91HZ series. the mod was first being done on the 61-B model (one that came with Os91 SZ) but when 91HZ's flooded the market, OS was already making a deal with James and some people in Futaba to create this regulated carb, so James stopped modding engines. Before he stopped, he modified a few 91HZ (61-K) carburetors with cline regulators. And yes, yours truly just acquired an OS 91 HZ modified to R by James .

Funny part that I found while researching and finding all this out was that Cline carbs used to cost 60 dollars new.. and James would charge 80 to modify the OS carb to regulated as the fuel spraying and cat eye needed to be changed to make it compatible and actually useful. Al that is 140 bucks .. OS sells the HZ-R carb for making non regulated engines to regulated for 250 bucks hahahahha.

Cline regulators are now very hard to find.. Airplane guys were using those in their engines and still are, as these engines ensured that you could run long fuel lines, and one tank for two engines or whatever needed. The maker of cline carb has since passed.. so I don't know if they are being sold still, or not at all.

Ohh and also picked up a Funtech tuned pipe for OS 91HZ which is the OS power boost pipe but without the OS sticker.. All under 200 bucks.. added to that.. extra new bearings front and back for the engine, and a new ring.

SO this all ended up costing me less than the rebuild would have. I am now making a deal with someone to sell me new parts they had laying around, and if that happens, I might have two 91 engines lol in a a few more bucks . but we will see :d

Tony

Staff member
So you are running the regulated engine now? Yup, that is where it's at! I would have loved to see the 120, but a 91R is going to make sick power. And no more worry about losing pressure because the exhaust came loose. Now, you will just lose power.

Um, you know it's coming.....

Here it comes....

:ttiwwp:

Yup, there it is.

Top Bottom