Kits Fuel line question (cowling)

mooserider

I have a P51 kit that's complete, but the cowling is such that I can't get at anything once it's on (fuel lines I mean). Probably overthinking this, but, does it matter how the fuel lines snake around, assuming of course that they're not cinched on bent to cut off fuel. I'm also aware of how the fuel lines will flex and move due to the pressure inside. But does it matter if that fuel line exits the firewall higher than where I put the fuel valve, and then it goes up again back to the carburetor? Pretty sure it doesn't as long as the fuel system is pressurized right (i.e., no hose leaks, and the muffler is pushing air into the tank)? This is for an OS 61 btw. Never had such tight quarters in the engine compartment. Nor have I had to use a fuel valve (not dot btw).

Thanks for any advice!

mooserider

Well I think I was up too late working on this one and overthinking it. I had forgotten that I had all the extra room when the plastic cowling part goes on, and was trying to cram it around the motor engine mount. Pic below of things installed (need to trim the bottom line a bit, sags a little too much).

IMG_1725.JPG

IMG_1725.JPG

mooserider

LOL, that's what I just did before I stopped to take a smoke and read this. Had to carve a slot in the cowling to make it just right first. Might break it in today; will take a pic of it put together.

mooserider

This thing started on the first throw! It's at least a 10 yr old engine, never been run though (OS 61 fx). Read its directions, opened it 3.5 turns, threw the prop... bam, started! That reallly blew my mind. I was committed to a 3 hour endevour... but it ended up being about 15 mins (blew through a tank of gas, extra rich of course). Not sure if the OS break-in instructions have changed, but it's basically (after starting and letting it warm up), run it on full throttle really rich, then lean it out every 10 seconds, for 10 seconds, then back to rich.

Btw, it's been a while with nitros... I loved everything from the smell to wiping things down with windex.

p51.JPG

p51.JPG

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Congrats on the startup. Those OS engines have a good name for a reason, that's for sure. I'm running one in my 600N and it's fantastic. So when is the first flight?

Top Bottom