Other FRSky X12S 'Horus'

Smoggie

I didnt see another thread on this new Tx so thought it might be worth starting one. The X12S Horus is FRSky's new top of the range offering that looks like an awesome package. Apparently initial evaluation transmitters have just been released to dealers so full production should be running within a month or three.....

http://www.frsky-rc.com/ad/X12S.html

X12S-main.jpg

Tony

Staff member
That thing is HUGE. Definitely one to be used with a table. I remember when spektrum tried this with the DX10 but it never really took off.

Smoggie

It's not intended as a tray radio, FrSky have another new model to cover that base (the X9E).. They havent released dimension as far as I know, but the story is that the case is quite closely modelled on the Jeti DS16. Possibly it appears larger than it is, it's hard to say without something in shot to get an idea of scale from?

Tony

Staff member
Tray, that's the word I was looking for lol. I guess we will see if it gets out in stores.

Smoggie

The prototype transmitters are with distributors for evaluation now, here's a pic one a Tx 'in hand'... It doesn't look big to by eye, maybe a little wider than average but not as deep due to the screen being mounted above the main case:
734884_1101003579919566_8978371783520804618_n.jpg

734884_1101003579919566_8978371783520804618_n.jpg

murankar

Staff member
This radio is to compete with the jeti. I do see it doing okay but I think the mystic of jeti people will want that one instead. Then again the price point will attract some.

Smoggie

Personally I'd say more 'inspired by Jeti' than designed to compete with it head on. I say this purely because they are at very different price points, or at least i assume they will be because no price is yet announced for the Horus. I did hear that it would be getting a new name before release though.

I'm interested in the Horus because at the moment I'm on Spektrum who at the moment seem to be stuck in something of a rut at the higher end of their range at least. The Horus has far more advanced features than any Spektrum tx. The advantage of the Horus over even the likes of Jeti is that it has an external module bay, so i can fit a DSMX module and continue flying my helis and planes without swapping over all the receivers that really is a big plus.

murankar

Staff member
No this is to compete with jeti and is inspired by jeti.

If you looking for a radio that is robust then the jeti or vcontrol are your choices. Both can tune fbl units and have telemetry. The one thing vcontrol has that jeti does not is the bump sensor for your batteries. The radio will track battery usage for you and tie the telemetry of that pack to the battery. It's a really cool idea.

Smoggie

Well let's hope that if they don't make the pricing 'competitive'... TBH I still expect the price to be a 'no contest'.

Vcontrol is of no interest at all for me. Paying $200-300 for every receiver would make it a total non-starter (I fly fixed wing too) and much as I like Mikado FBL controllers I'm not prepared to tie myself to them, there are other good products out there.

murankar

Staff member
For planks your looking at 270 an rx/gyro combo. Depending on the gyro you use you may have to add an rx. I use the all in one NEO unit and the out the door was 220 + shipping. The advantage to the vcontrol is the ability to tune the gyro with the radio. It will work with planks you just need the add on for it. Anyhow it is a viable solution for a solid top shelf radio system.

With that said it may not be for every one. Now the Jeti is another top shelf radio with some gyro manufactures adding Jeti support that is similar to the Vcontrol. My issue is the price of the Jeti. While it is close to the Vcontrol it offers a bunch of features that may not get used by the 99%. So I can't see spending that kind of cash.

The horus is the next power house radio. I personally don't see this radio as a top shelf solution. If it is running any of the 9X variants of firmware most people will have a hard time learning it. The learning curve is steep and mist people have a feeling they missed something. After you understand the methodology of the programming then setup becomes easier, it's getting to that point.

The Horus is going to be a wait and see. I'll let the pioneers take the arrows so to speak.

Smoggie

I can get a DSMX receiver for $25 and if i want stabilisation (not all do) an excellent 6-axis flight stabilised for another $27

Over $300 for a Neo with the necessary software update isnt of any interest to me. That's the attraction of the Horus, it's completely wide open to working with any other system, the exact opposite of Vcontrol, i'm not ready to sell my soul to Mikado!

murankar

Staff member
I just lost a bunch of text on this post.

In a nut shell I lost my Protos Mini on an frSky module and RX. My TX was the TH9X on er9x. My crash caused a rekit and the only thing I could find was a signal issue after troubble shooting it. Later on I put my Gaui X3 in due to signal issues on the same radio and RX. My question to you is: Would you be willing to sacrifice an $800 or $900 or even a $1000 air frame to cheap equipment?

My Protos Mini was close to $600 after all the equipment. I wont trust budget ever again. I need to come up with some cash to get the servos replaced on the X3. While KST is not a bad servo, i did however manage to bust the output shaft on a servo during a hard landing auto. If I get cheap servos they will be BK Servos.

If your willing to trust your air frames to this radio, all the power to ya. Let us know what you think(being honest on this. Not joking). In the end I think you will want a Jeti and will find a means to it. Ro echo what I said earlier: Ill let the pioneers take the arrows.

Here is the aftermath of the Protos Mini

http://www.rc-help.com/showthread.php?11130-I-think-my-flying-is-done

Last edited:

Smoggie

My experience in this hobby is that lower cost doesn't always mean poor quality and high price tag on it's own isn't guarantee of good quality. Some of the helis in my signature (600 size and up) fly on $30 Kbar FBL controllers and $9 Lemon-Rx satellites. So yes, I trust some cheap equipment in my big expensive helis. All these helis have been 100% bullet proof for 2-3 years so I'm proved right so far. Having said that I wouldn't use an ER9x Tx. A Tx is one area I wouldn't 'cheap out' on. I don't consider the Horus at a projected $500 to be 'cheap', rather a mid range price for a Tx with ultra high end features.

But I do agree with you on letting others be the beta testers when it's released. Even high end equipment sometimes has a few teething troubles. So yes, I'd give it a few months and see what the user feedback is like.

murankar

Staff member
If the Horus ir projected at $500 I would just buy a jetti and know I got a great radio with superb customer service. I have yet to use frSky customer service I would be afraid to. I pay the money for the Customer service mostly. Mikado I a leader in the industry for a reason. Their Vbar is coincided a standard to compare other gyros for performance. I too had a Kbar, and still have it. No need for it since I cant upgrade it to v6.0 so it will talk to the Vcontrol. I can how ever use it with the extra rx addon I got with the vcontrol, just cant adjust the settings from the radio which defeats having the radio.

Top Bottom