Projects Free flight foam board glider

danhampson

I was in my local craft store earlier today and i picked up 3 sheets of A1 size (bit bigger than dollar tree stuff) foam board. And i thought it would be cool if myself and the kids made a free flight glider for them to play with in the garden, and to give me a chance to work with foam board before i make a powered rc foam board plane.

So im looking for some simple glider plans that can be made out of one piece of foam board for hand/catapult launch.

Has anyone seen any while they have been looking around the net?

treff

Hi danhampson. Looked at the glider and have two suggestions. Make the wing tips wider to stop stalling and use tip dihedral
for stability. Just a couple of thoughts. Cheers.

sarconastic

I did this a little bit ago for my grandson I used a kfm2 airfoil and made sure the elevator has a tiny bit of lift built in. very similar to the one above. one tip is add support kickers from the wings to the airframe, they fole easily, and weight the nose with a penny.

Woody

danhampson

It was a horrible windy and rainy day yesterday so myself and my youngest daughter paige (4yrs old) made our first chuck glider.

I found some plans for a 99in rc slope soarer and liked the design so after playing with the size of the plan in pdf reader i printed it at 33% of it original size, this has given us a wingspan of 820mm (32in)

I cut out the wings (in one peice) and marked the center, made a slice th the center bottom of the wing and inserted a small peice of carbon rod in the slice to give a bit of dihedral (thanks for the tip treff). the wings are attached to th fuse by slotting them in and fixed with a small amount of hot glue on the underside, i balanced the CG with a few coins and shes ready for her maiden in the garden later.

IMG_20140811_080659.jpg

i have also designed in degree or 2 of up elev but we will see how that pans out. i really like the design of this bird

Here are the plans if anyone wants to have a look.
View attachment Windfree_.pdf

IMG_20140811_080659.jpg

Top Bottom