Setups FPV laws by state?

Hey guys
Is there a website out there that you can research laws pertaining to FPV?
I know this is a very delicate subject but I really do not see much pertaining to
state laws but I do now and then see things that kind of point to local cities and counties.
Just curious before I tie too many cams to the RC toys and next thing
you know some local law enforcement peeps walk off with my stuff.

Tony

Staff member
Most all of the laws are coming from the FAA, which is federal. I'm not aware of any state laws, but have not really looked either.

Derek

I"m not sure that there are any specific "state" laws but according to the FAA, an FPV pilot is "technically" required to have a Technicians HAM radio license. It costs $15US and is valid for 10 years. Some of the questions are common sense and some of the questions are actually quite technical and does require a bit of studying.

Stambo

I thought your FAA had changed their interpretation of the rules to mean the pilot has to have direct, unaided line of sight effectively ruling out the use of goggles.

Tony

Staff member
Yup. That is why my goggles are only going to be used for spectators to see what it looks like from the planes point of view :wink:

Derek

Yes, the FAA has said that the pilots eyes are to be in constant sight of the model. Absolutely absurd. Whether the pilot is wearing the FPV goggles or the spectators are wearing them, it's the actual "operation" of the FPV system that "legally" requires the Technicians HAM Radio License.

copied and pasted from the Rules and Regulations for FPV:

Note: No license is required to purchase it, however in order to legally operate within USA an amateur radio license is required.

That being said, I know of a lot of people that have bought their FPV systems (of various frequencies) in the USA and they "operate" their FPV systems in the USA and they don't have the license. I do know of many others that do have their licenses and they fly FPV.

I've not heard of anyone actually getting "busted" for "operating" their FPV systems without a license. I have no idea of what kinds of penalties there would be.

Top Bottom