ForumRunner & Tapatalk To Be Removed

Tony

Staff member
It has come to my attention that ForumRunner and Tapatalk are a HUGE vulnerability to the forum. They are creating a very easy way for hackers to enter the server without having to go through the site. They just go into the unsecured files of ForumRunner and/or Tapatalk which both have direct unsecured access to the database.

One of the biggest issues I have is both of these apps send cleartext passwords over an unsecured network. This means even someone that is just getting started in hacking can get your password. Once they have your password, they can figure out your email and hack your account on here. If you are like many, you have the same password for many things so they will start trying to hack your email to gain access to bank accounts and so on.

In an attempt to keep this forum up and running smoothly, and keep my members information safe, I will be removing both of these from the forum within 48 hours. I do apologize to those that use these apps but feel security of the forum is quite important. Every time I turn around, there is another issue, exploit or vulnerability that needs to be patched meaning the hole had been there all along.

I have never lost all the information on the forum and I would really like to keep it that way. If you have any questions comments or concerns, post them below.

trainrider06

Hmm? I was writing a PM just yesterday and my virus protection popped up and said that the link was unsecure.

rjhenry

Good move Tony I have never met an "APP" I trusted ! they all want access to way to much. I mean, come on, why does a flashlight app need access to my
contact list, what's it gona do, send them some light too LOL. and thanks for lookin out for us.

Tony

Staff member
Hmm? I was writing a PM just yesterday and my virus protection popped up and said that the link was unsecure.

Did you happen to record any codes that it came up with? Were you using ForumRunner or Tapatalk? What can you tell me about it?

As far as I know, and I have searches done on the site every day, there are no viruses on the site or server.

I'm happy to see that everyone so far is understanding on this. The more I read into this, the more I get worried about not only the server and all of the info here on the site, but also my members information. Not everyone is an IT person, not everyone knows NOT to use the same password for everything. I know it's easier to remember one password for 15 different log in's, but it's very unsecure. I only have one password per site. And something like this site, I have a different password for the login here on the site, login for the server, login for the emails and so on.

I am going to be doing a video shortly showing the mobile version of the site and just how easy it is to use. The audio is going to be a little loud since this is going to be recorded on my phone and not my computer. But I figure if I'm going to show how a mobile version works, I might as well do it on my mobile phone! And trust me, you can do MORE on the forum's mobile version than you can on either of the apps!

Keep posting up. I will do my best to answer every question on here.

NordCelt

Doesn't affect how I access the site and glad to hear your fixing a potential problem. I also learned that these apps are a security risk. I don't use them but may have at some point without this knowledge. Very glad you've passed on this bit of info.

Top Bottom