Forum Issues

Tony

Staff member
As I'm sure you saw, we upgraded the forum to the latest version because of an issue that was discovered about a month ago. I have had multiple people working on the issue, including people that deal with vbulletin exclusively, and no one can find the issue. But because of the lack of speed on the new site, I had to revert back to this one, and as soon as I did, the issue came back. Because of the nature of this issue, I will not disclose what it is. Lets just say, it's bad enough that I'm thinking about dealing with teh slow forum on 5 and completely getting rid of this one.

I have deleted everything that I can delete, I have cleaned everything that I know how to clean and nothing is helping. I'm completely out of options here. Maybe this is the sign that is saying to enjoy the hobby and stop worrying about the forum, but I'm ignoring that. This forum means more to me than the hobby, and I will not stop until I find a solution. I don't care if I have to spend every weekend working on this thing.

But for now, we are just going to have to deal with it until I can find a solution. It's just another test, like the double posting we just solved last year.

I apologize to anyone that has seen this issue, and trust me, you would know.

Tony

Staff member
Just finished deleting even more stuff off of the forum. Lets see what this brings in a couple days. Yes, this is an intermittent issue and only shows it's head every couple of days for the same person/ip address. Talk about suck when you have to wait days just to retest...

fitzy

Hi. Tony I have not been keeping up to date and so have not seen the problems that you have been having.
But anytime that I have visited the site I have found what I wanted.
I have not flown a plane or helicopter for quite some time due to retirement and setting up our caravan and S.U.V
Keep up the good work mate.

Thankyou.
fitzy

Tony

Staff member
Hey fitzy, thanks for the comment. I do everything that I can to keep this site fun, informational and safe. It's a lot of work, but it's worth it in the end. Hope you get to some flying here really soon!

philvan

Hey Tony, sorry to hear about your site. I personally hope you continue for a long time. I am willing to help If you want and I can talk to my neighbor about your problem if you would like his help. He was one of the top software engineers for Sun Microsystems. He can do amazing things with programing.

Tony

Staff member
Thanks Phil. I think my next step is spending about $200 with a company that specializes in this stuff, and will protect the site for the next year. I do appreciate the offer, I'm just leery on giving out my server info to someone that i have not met.

trainrider06

Some one with heli interests must be dragging around a bug or attacking heli sites or something.
Over there at Helifreak they have been off and on for a week dealing with something over there.
Man sorry about all the issues, and crap your having to deal with. It is greatly appreciated by me
at least! You've helped so much on more than a couple things!

murankar

Staff member
Something just popped in my head. Check your host file and see if there are any web addresses that should not be there. It could be a host allow file. You might be able to add those URLs or IP addresses to a host deny or blacklist file.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Tony

Staff member
The issue comes from the hacks that people put on their forums. Notice that the post hack and the YouTube auto embed AR not on here anymore. I have narrowed it down. Just have to find that one file. Really thinking about paying a company about $200 to take care of it. Just can't afford it after starting this new project.

Tony

Staff member
It took almost a week, but the issue is still here. so now, I'm trying to find about $200 to pay for some services from a company that specializes in removal of this stuff. Safety on this site has and always will be my top priority. Sometimes it's just hard to come up with the funding sometimes.

I thought it was fixed, which is why I pushed forward with Rc-Help's new project (to be seen later). Unfortunately, it raised it's ugly head after things were purchased. Give me some time, I'm doing all I can to keep this site safe and getting the money needed to purchase this protection.

Tony

Staff member
I have put the Auto YouTube Link Parser back on the forum. This seems to be an apache issue so this hack won't be the cause. And everyone uses this hack! lol.

Tony

Staff member
The site is now being scanned by a company that specializes in these kind of issues. If the site goes down (they do move and modify some files once in a while) it won't be down for long.

holtneil

Hi Tony When I log in I get a message saying I have 1 un read message , but there is nothing in my in box it also says I have 98 of the max 100 messages stored and asks if I want to delete them so I click yes and then confirm it but it never deletes it, as this is the inbox but I cant find the stored messages am I having a bald moment ( cant say blond) , very strange

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
send a pm to yourself and it will reset it. I tried resetting the numbers, but was unable to.

Top Bottom