Forum Image Changes

Tony

Staff member
For a while now, I have been annoyed with the way the photos are embeded into the forum. Mainly the ones where you have a discription then under it, the picture, then under that, another description, then another picture and so on. Well, you can't really read the description while seeing the picture, so I made a change.

Now, when you Attach an image Inline, it will show full size. However, if you just leave the images in the "Manage Attachments Manager", it will be in a thumbnail view. So, you can choose the way you want.

There has been some changes in the image size though. I'm only allowing a MAX size of 1mb per image and I may be lowering this down to 512kb to help with bandwidth. This is not hard to accomplish with photo editing software like PhotoScape, which I use for EVERY image I upload.

There is also a physical size limit of 800x600 pixels on the images. I do this so that they fit in most browser windows. But, I may be lowering this down to 400x300 if there are issues.

At this time, I have kept the IMG option, but if there keeps being issues reported with them, I will have to disable the IMG code from the forum. I ask everyone to upload the images to the forum.

Another reason I want you to upload images to the server here on RCH is, I HATE forum posts with all of those "X"s in them. I'm nto talking about when a server is having an issue, but I'm talking about when someone forgets they are on a forum and delete them from someplace like photobucket. By having them on my server, they will ALWAYS be here for all to view.

If you have uploaded photos to the forum via the IMG tag, please make sure to NOT delete them from the photo source. As stated, I may be disabling the IMG code soon. Any images that are embedded on the forum will still be visible, but all future uploads will have to be done through the image manager.

Due to bandwidth issues we have had lately, I may have to lower both the data size and physical size of images. I'm trying to avoid this, but it may have to happen.

If you have any questions, just post up and let me know.

Tony

Staff member
Hey guys, can I get some feedback on what you think about the image changes? I'm guessing no news is good news ATM. I personally like having the pictures opened up and not having to click on them unless you do NOT insert them inline. But I want your opinion. If you want to see what I'm talking about, I have uploaded two pictures in this thread. The first is inserted inline. The second I did not insert inline and just left it as is.

Let me know.

RCH Heli YT Image.jpg

Edit: Okay, so you don't even have to click on the ones that you DON'T insert inline. Either way, let me know.

Aquarium 008.JPG

RCH Heli YT Image.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Really? So you never had to click on a picture to have it open full size? I may have to look into this as to why that is.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I think it depends on what browser your using! Has to how the pics upload. Marius's picks always are full sized. Mine were allways thumbnails. The big pics are nice though.

murankar

Staff member
Big images are better. I hate scrolling through a series of thumbs to see everything. To be honest I can go either way, just as long as it works best for the forum.

pvolcko

On my build thread I had to manually alter the size to medium or large for the inline pics. It was annoying so if this change uses the larger size by default then I say it's good. However, for non-inlined pics (show up as attachments like the bottom one in your demo), then I'd stick with the smaller thumbnails for them. If people don't inline them then you have to bounce around to keep track what pics goes with what area of the post and if they are automatically large like that then it means a lot more scrolling.

Tony

Staff member
Sam, Stokke uses the IMG code for his pics. They are not hosted here on my server, they are on his. That is why all of his have been full size.

pvolcko, I'm working on making the bottom picture small and having to click on them. Needs more work but we are getting there. I hate it when I'm this busy and can't just knock something out when it needs done lmao.

Karubah

Just go with what you think is best for the forum Tony. Personally I like the larger pics as you don't have to read, open pic, close and keep reading. I,m just a lazy old bloke, anything to save effort.lol. Cheers Andy

Tony

Staff member
Well, I hate to say it but we had to go back to the thumbnails for the automatic images in the forum. You can still use the IMG BBcode to do full size pictures, but I do ask that you don't go over 1000 pixels in any direction. Any images bigger than that take a long time to load, slow down the load time of the page and for slow internet users, they will just click out of the thread. Now, with the way it is, the images load much faster seeing as they are only a thumbnail. I didn't want to do it, but needed to.

pvolcko

Not to be a pest, but can you turn off the hover-over image dialog that is popping up automatically? I don know about others, but from a UI perspective I find it very annoying to simply cursor over things and have them pop up a dialog (especially one that take a while to load up). If I want to see the images in full size I'll click them. :)

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Yes, I can turn that off. Didn't even know it was on. Sorry about that. I can't stand that feature either haha.

However, I have been playing with my off line forum and I think I figured out my issues and I can go back to the full size. I'm going to do some more playing for now before I make another change, but I like the larger pictures better, I just have to find a happy medium for slow users to forum resources. I'm working on it, and I will have something that meets the needs of all I hope.

pcolcko, I will change that setting right now.

Top Bottom