General Foamie trainer by rc-help.com.. Gaba's first trainer

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!

This is the foamie trainer Tony has posted plans for.. Please let me know what you think.. :)

Thanks to Tony!! This would not have been made if he hadn't helped me..

Took a day and a half to build it full. Hope it flies..

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
On the wing, I would cut the fuse on the left side of the plane so that the wing sits level. It really looks like the fuse is higher on that one side. The wing will gain a little more dihedral when you are in the air because of wing loading. But, I think if you cut the front of the wing like I had in that picture I sent you, you will be doing good.

If the motor was gettign hot sitting on the ground, that is why, it was on the ground. It will cool a lot better in the air. Just cut that fuse down a little bit, put it in front of you, and give it about half to 3/4 throttle and she will get up into the air. triple check your control surfaces and that they are going in the correct direction. Other than that, these are ment to have fun with. that plane likes to fly slow, so you should have a blast with it.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WvuXmAIXOUM?hl=en&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> maidened.. lol

Tony

Staff member
You are trying to copy me huh... Lawn dart and all... I didn't break my prop though :nana: hahahaha :jk:

Tony

Staff member
That is what it looked like to me as well. I'm wondering if he had the bottom plate glued on really well, i'ts what keeps the wing from folding like that. Without struts, the wing needs all the help it can get.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
This was a very unexpected result. IT FLEW!! haha.. All I had gotten was dirt from the last 5 tries. It was too nose heavy.. the landing gear was not a good option. Tony from rc-help told me to put a dihedral in it. He told me it makes it stable. But I think I am nt doing it right, cause the wings are moving.. The plane I think has some tail weight.. .It was not that big of an issue. I had enough thrust to do a hover as soon as I started.. HAHA! that scared me, that will I come out of sae or not.. That tells me its tail heavy.. I will move the battery forward.. no problems.. The thing I am worried about is the motor mount and the wing flex. Tell me what you think guys. tell me how to mount the stupid motor better. LOL.. apart from that.. ENJOY THE VIDEO

<iframe width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WsNzpKFebus" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Looking forward to the video. I will be doing a video on how to build this plane, wing and all. So of you are not subscribed to RcHelpDotCom, do so if you don't want to miss it.

RCD

Glencairn Drone
Wow, lots of wing flex. You may need wing struts. What did you use tony? Try using epoxy for the motor mount. It wont melt like hot melt glue.

Last edited:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
yes travis lots of wing flex.. Tony .. I am not sure.. but I know that i had hotglue between the wings too. If I do struts.. wont i loose the dihedral...??? I am not sure.. Y'all tell me.. I am also gonna put skewers on the sides of the nose to make it stronger for a "lawn dart" (copyright tony. lol) experience.. I am not sure yet.. Epoxy might be a good idea. But y'al will need to tell me how to make the motor mount to hold better too.. not just stick better! :) may be i am missing something.. Thanks for you help y'all..

I am also thinking to make the battery mounted from below... so that i can make the wing permanent.. It will make it a mess to store and transport in my sedan.. but .. IDEAS WELCOME! :)

RCD

Glencairn Drone
If you make the wing struts long enough, ou won't have to get rid of the dihedral. Epoxy will make the motor mount stay on permanently. You'd have to lawn dart it worse than Tony to break it lol

Tony

Staff member
I will work on a new design on the wing. A carbon spar about 5mm thick in the center section of foam will stop that flex, but you will also lose dihedral adn make the wing flat like mine. Not always a bad thing is you like to rip up the skys. But, I will see about making a video on how I made my wing, and how to make the wing with dihedral that doesnt' flex near that much.

I think one of the reasons yours is flexing so much, is all that hot glue in between the two wing halves. Hot glue flexes a lot before failure. The cut there for the dihedral should be straight, and at 3-3.5* on each side, giving you 7* of dihedral. Maybe make another wing with no dihedral and see that that does? I'm about to upload another file now for the new designs...

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Well guys.. I was airborne again... It was beautiful. The flights went very good. the wings held up pretty well. The motor mount and prop everthing.. crashed a couple of time.. but apart from the stupid wing mounting skewer that came off.. no damage.. the plane was first nose heavy then i think almost CG'ed.. y'all tell me. I did crash badly in the end.. will love to have some expo when i can. Apart from that.. great plane... changes i made were: motor mount, removing wing dihedral, reinforcing the nose and using skewers as sparrs for the wings. moving cg oce during the video.. lemme know what y'all think.. thanks!! :)

<iframe width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/94EumfzsvPM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Top Bottom