General Foam board question

bigone5500

So I've been off and on working on this Aerobird Extreme. I took the tail off and need to make another. I have this foam board from walmart and am not sure it's a good choice. It's the kind with the paste board on front and back. Elmer's 950802T if you're wondering. It's a bit heavy in my opinion but the paper backing can be removed to an extent. What's a good material to use? I can't find anything at michael's or hobby lobby...at least I didn't see any.

bigone5500

Sure thing!

Here is the plane body. Not much to talk about here. It has a foam nose for bad landings. It has a 54" wing span. They are held on with rubber bands.
20170516_164437.jpg

This is the tail I mentioned. I went ahead and cut one from the board I have. I wonder if I can cover it with monokote after peeling the paper. I'll do a test piece and see. If that doesn't work the I'll try peeling the paper and covering it with packing tape. That may make it too heavy though. The mechanics of it are in the last photo. Two servos pull the v-tail to climb and a rubber band allows it to descend. I have two of these birds but only one is going to fly. Sorry for the crap pictures.
20170516_164607.jpg
2017-05-16 16.54.44.jpg

Tony

Staff member
You should be fine doing it that way, but the walmart stuff is very heavy. If you have a dollar tree near you, get that foam board and try that. It's much lighter.

But worst case using what you have is you will have to add a little nose weight, which for a plane with that large of a wing shouldn't be an issue.

bigone5500

If you have a dollar tree near you, get that foam board and try that. It's much lighter.

Oh yes...my wife's favorite store!!! I'll check it out.

Side note related to this:
What is a good material to use for hinges?

Tony

Staff member
For foam, just use packing tape. Don't waste your money on the reinforced crap, just get regular packing tape. The thinner IMO the better. That is what I have used on all of my planes and I have yet to have a failure. Just make sure the ends are straight and not cut with a serrated cutting blade like most tape dispensers have.

bigone5500

Yeah that's what I had in mind. That fiberglass stuff is too narrow anyway. I have a roll of monokote that I would like to use so I'm gonna practice with some and see what happens. This plane just may end up with a white tail anyway.

I took a scrap piece of this board and peeled the paper off . It seems to be pretty durable but if the stuff at dollar tree looks better, then I'll try it.

Ain't nothin' to do but try stuff....

I edited my last post after you read it I think. So, What is a good material to use for hinges?

Tony

Staff member
I did answer your question on the hinges. Check out my last post.

As for using monokote, that stuff is very rigid, way more so than packing tape. I tried it, and it didn't work for me. But it's worth a shot.

bigone5500

I did answer your question on the hinges. Check out my last post.

As for using monokote, that stuff is very rigid, way more so than packing tape. I tried it, and it didn't work for me. But it's worth a shot.
Doh! I misinterpreted it.

Sorry...*slaps self*

Tony

Staff member
hahaha, it's all good. Just sitting here trying to figure out what way I want to go on the head of this helicopter... Weird things are afoot...

murankar

Staff member
For a cheap Hing watch flite test with their foam build. The use the paper already on the foam baord reinforced with hot glue.

If your into flying planks then you better invest in a good hot glue gun and hot glue sticks. If you have not done so already.

Tony

Staff member
I trust packing tape way more than hot glue. One, hot glue if put on too thick will stress the servos and if too thin can tear as easy as the paper.

bigone5500

I mounted the tail fin on the boom. It may be ok as it is with no covering. However, moisture will probably cause the paper to peel. I think I'll give the control surfaces a 45 degree where it meets the fin. This way, when I put the tape on, it will be easier for it to move.

Here are some photos.
https://goo.gl/photos/pj4J7zNry2FwdeFM7

bigone5500

Update. I tried the tape method and for some reason the flap doesn't move very good. Maybe it's the tape I'm using. It's regular clear packaging tape. I didn't give it a 45 but placed a gap between the fin and flap.

I had a brainstorm, well a small shower at least, to use some plastic that comes from the blister packages. I thought of cutting some 3/4 x 1" pieces and giving each flap 3 pieces. I have some fast epoxy to secure them in. I can use my xacto to make the pocket for the hinge material to be inserted. I just have to find some thick enough plastic to use.

bigone5500

I did a search for making hinges and came across this video. This is some funny crap. I feel bad for this guy. But what can you expect when you use packing tape backed with drywall repair mesh.

Tony

Staff member
If you are looking for the absolute laziest way to make a hinge, the video above is the way to do it. I always cut a 45º angle on mine so the air flows over them much more smoothly.

bigone5500

Got the tail done for the most part. It's fully functional. I like the adjustments for the control horns. You adjust them at center stick and the rubber bands control down elevator and fishing line pulls up.

20170522_212516.jpg
20170522_212525.jpg
20170522_212535.jpg
20170522_212608.jpg

Tony

Staff member
I don't think I have ever seen a setup like that. Let us know how it flies when you put it back up.

Top Bottom