Prop Fms 1400 Sky Trainer Problems

Derf

I am 70 years old, don't like computers, or computer words, am slow reader(took an hour and a half to read the 'dos and don'ts), and am a 'hunt and peck' typist. I'm hoping I finally found a place that deals in r/c planes and fixes. So here goes. I purchased an FMS 1400 Sky Trainer last week and started to build it. It was supposed(the magic word) to be 'ready to fly' but it has been a headache. I have not heard from FMS and I doubt I will. The instructions are worthless-poor English, poor. instructions, and poor pictures. I have several questions about it -1. are the led lights to be on when the battery is connected 2. the flaps go up when the S2 switch is activated and nothing reverses them 3. when I started connecting wires, some were mismarked, others had two locations of connections 4. the maximum throw for the ailerons, rudder, and elevator seems to be insufficient(3/8") to be enough to move the plane in those directions. 5. lastly(finally, huh), the motor seems to increase to mid throttle, slow down or have a dead spot, then speed back up. If anyone can give me answers, I'd appreciate it. (P.S. I used to build balsa planes a long time ago a very loooong time) but none of them flew . I'd like to get just one in the air.

RandyDSok

I don't have that model but I did find a general build video that may be of some use to you. Please note that there are several versions of the model, the one in the video doesn't have the LED's ... and other things may differ slightly. I'll comment on the questions but I suspect they will be of little use other than just something to look further into.

1. I would assume the LED's will come on when you plug in the battery... but they are polarity sensitive meaning they must be plugged in the right direction with positive lead going to the positive and negative to the negative. If they are plugged in backwards, they will not work and may even burn out.

2. & 3. .... sounds like the wiring isn't correct based on how you say the flaps are not working properly and what you mentioned about mismarked wiring. It is also possible it's a radio setting that I may be unaware of ( since you didn't mention which radio it actually is etc )

4. Check that you have hooked the push rods to the outer holes on the control horns.

5. No comment really but I suspect it's just a typical cheapy ( FMS isn't know for quality stuff, just basic OK at best ). Perhaps searching on Youtube and watching several vids can give you an idea if that is a common issue or not.

Possibly a V1 build ?

Version 2 build

Admiral

Hi Derf, Welcome to the forum, Had a look at the manual that's on the FMS website and it seem pretty good for a Chinese manual, the fuselage looks OK but I'm always suspicious of the included electronics, although I was surprised to see its fitted out with brushless motor and ESC. The videos that rdsok attached should help a lot.

You mentioned that you had built Balsa model years ago and didn't have a lot of success , have you ever flown an RC plane before ?

If the answer is no, I would strongly suggest that you down load an RC Flight Simulator and practice while your sorting the plane out, crashes on a SIM cost you nothing real crashed can wipe the plane out altogether.
Clearview is a good SIM and you can use a limited version for free that has enough planes to get you started, most people buy it after using it, the lifetime license is under $50.00 ClearView RC Flight Simulator - Home

You can also buy commercial simulators at you Hobby Store but they will cost a lot more, but come with the link between your computer and Transmitter.

I know you hate computers but it is hard to not to use them if you are involved in any RC activities.

Top Bottom