Chargers FMA Powerlab 6

pvolcko

So, my iCharger 3010B started acting up. Wouldn't complete a balance cycle on 6S packs. 3S packs were fine. Tried calibrating it and still no dice. So I talked with the guys at BuddyRC and it's on the way to them for work/replacement. I'm suspecting the #4 cell balancing circuit is futzy.

In the meantime I needed something else, so what do I do? Go out and buy another monster charger, of course. :) Picked up a FMA Powerlab 6!

This is a bad ass charger. It will handle 1000W during charge. Has similar discharge power handling as the iCharger. Supports regenerative discharge (ie. discharging packs into the source if you are powering from a Pb battery). Physically larger in size than the iCharger 3010B, larger fan, etc. Nice backlit LCD. Once I had it setup and running the menuing kind of threw me for a bit, but realized it is basically a pre-set menu scheme. Unlike the iCharger which you select the battery chemistry and then select charge/discharge/cycle/monitor mode, the Powerlab has presets that you can use as is or modify as you wish. Each preset can be adjusted for battery chemistry, default charge and discharge rate, default mode, etc. While charging it will display cell internal resistance, per cell voltage. Starting and current pack voltage and overall charge amount (what it calls "fuel level").

Interestingly it has the option for charge rate of 1, 2, and 3C, in addition to a current value based setting. I haven't figured this out yet, but I suspect it will track discharge amount and calculate pack capacity, then charge at 1/2/3C based on that calculation. A nice feature that allows you to use a single preset for fast or slow charge on all your packs without having to manually set or select a pre-set for each pack type you have.

And I'm just scratching the surface. Have yet to plug this into a computer to see what capabilities are unlocked with that connection. Also need to explore more on the charging and mode options.

There are a couple downsides. The pre-set based top level menuing and pre-set modification is a little unintuitive, especially coming from the iCharger. I see the merits of it, but it is also a bit of a learning curve to deal with. The biggest issue I have with it is that it has a EC5 connector on it for power input. While interesting, it basically requires you to make or buy a EC5 to banana plug (or eyelet connector or aligator connector) adapter to hook it up to your power supply. On the power output side, it uses slightly non-standard banana type female connectors (the type that uses shrouds around the male connector that is plugged into it). While I found I could just plug standard banana connector balance boards into it, it seems unnecessary and may throw customers for a loop initially. Lastly, it uses a special variant of the JST type connector for the balance cable connector on the charger end. It came with a cable that terminates in a standard JST-XH 6S connector, but it requires plugging that cable end into the balance boards instead of having balance cables on each board (how I had been using them before). Minor, but kind of aggravating.

Overall I'm very impressed with it. I'd consider it an advanced charger, not suited to beginners in the hobby (the iCharger fits that bill I think in terms of ease of use and intuitive interface).

Once the iCharger gets back I'll either be using that one as a backup or using it as a second charger for charging up different packs at the same time. This new Powerlab is very likely to become my new primary charger.

Lee

Been looking at that one for myself. But the weird cable issue was throwing me off too. I like the intuitive side of the Icharger. I may go for the new 308 Duo after i check it out some more.

pvolcko

I thought about the Duo, but having that and also the 3010B would be overkill and I like the idea of having two independent chargers so I have a backup in case one craps out again. Seemed the better option to go with another high power single output charger. Chose the FMA to try it out and also to have some brand diversity in case my iCharger issue is a problem across the product line. Went with the 6S version of it since I have no need, and don't anticipate needing 7+S for LiPo. If I had it to do over I would have bought the 306B instead of the 3010B.

Dirk

I got my Revolectrix Cellpro 10S yesterday. Not as fancy as yours Paul, but that was all I could afford for the time being. I must say, coming from a V6AC, this thing is wild! It balances to the millivolt on the balance leads. And that is after charging 4 packs in parallel, at 10.5 amps from my car battery. I can charge my lipos at 5C, but I never do. I always charge at 2C, but I had to see what this 20S could do. Awesome charger. I still want a Powerlab 6 though. :sorrow:

pvolcko

Hehe. I am impressed with the balancing behavior. It appears to balance through the entire charge cycle. iCharger will do that too, but you have to adjust a setup param for it. And it seemed to add a great deal of time to the charge process. On this one it appears to be default (and only) behavior and it doesn't appear to impact the charge time at all.

I've only run it up to 10A charge so far. Power supply will do up to 30A at 18V I think, so 500W or so. On a 6S pack that's 24A max charge rate, minus a bit for inefficiency so call it 22A max, which is 4C (or 1C with 4 packs in parallel).

Weather is kind of cruddy here today. May try to get some flights in during a lull in the rain and see what this puppy will do. :)

Dirk

I tried the Cellpro 10S over the weekend. Works very well I must say. The only thing I don't like about it is that you can't bring a full pack down to storage level with it. Weather turned out crappy so I could only fly one pack and was still stuck with 3 fully charged packs. Used my old V6AC to bring the voltage down to storage level.

pvolcko

Powerlab 6 has a storage pre-set. Cellpro can probably do it to, just need to setup a non-standard discharge or charge cutoff voltage.

Dirk

Okay, change of plans! I returned the Cellpro 10S and ordered the Powerlab 6 with the fancy balance board. I've read too many good reports on the Powerlab 6. Hehe.....

Dirk

Okay, no more mister nice guy when it comes to chargers. Go big or go home!! Can't wait to fire this baby up tonight.

Revolectrix 001.jpg

Revolectrix 001.jpg

pvolcko

That balance board is no joke. I opted to just use the XH/EH boards I had already. Made the settings change and no problems. These FMA boards are really nice, though. Voltage checking/cell-count checking, separately fused, etc.

Dirk

The only bummer is that I chucked away all of my Deans connectors that I had on my LiPos and replaced them all with XT-60 connectors. Now I will have to make Deans to XT connectors to be able to use this board.

I should hopefully get my server power supply tomorrow. Pushes out 45amps @12V, so it shouldn't be stressed at all. As long as I don't make magic smoke like Tony did! LOL :poke:

Dirk

You can plug many bullets into each other. They call the stackable. This is just to show how its done.

Revolectrix 004.jpg

Was it not on your power supply? I think I recall you blowing something up.:scratchchin:

Revolectrix 004.jpg

Last edited:

Dirk

I flew quite a bit over the weekend and had the opportunity to give my new charger a good shake-down. Really impressive. The balancing is very accurate whilst charging, not like my V6AC. Some pics to show.

Revolectrix 086.jpg

I also finished up my power supply. It can put out 20A @ 12.4V. More than what my lipos can handle. I also wired in a USB to enable me to charge my cellphone. Quite handy.

I jazzed the power supply up a little. I just decided to call it the "X8". Now, I wonder who can guess where that came from? LOL

Revolectrix 081.jpg

Revolectrix 086.jpg

Revolectrix 081.jpg

Dirk

Kev, I spray painted over the label. I can't remember the make, but it will supply 20 amps at 12.4 volts. It is normal computer power supply and it is made for small servers. They are very easy to convert. Even if I draw max amps from it, it stays cool.

Top Bottom