Flying mCP-X and Extra 260 @ C.O.R.C.S.

Tony

Staff member
Because of staying up too late last night, I didn't get up in time to take the wife to work so I had no car to work on. I figured I could do all of the other stuff tomorrow, so I started charging mcpx and Extra batteries for the day at the field. Once they were charged, I put everything in the car, and off we went.

When I got there, the field was clean, and all of the painting had already been done. So I was too late to help out with field cleanup. That just leaves one thing, flying. I went to the car and put the 6 mcpx batteries in my pocket and wondered where I was going to fly. I found a table at the far end of the field that worked well. The weather was about 70º with light and variable winds, and nothing but sunshine. So, I plugged in the battery in the mcpx, and let is initialize.

I spooled it up to check it out, then it was time for lift off. It seems to need more collective in the mid ranges than I remember. Feels a little lethargic. But, I put it out there in front of me, and played with the hovering for a minute to check trims. Everything was perfect, and it was time to flip it on it's lid. I was about 10' in front of me, and I did what I usually do, add collective, pull back on the elevator, then add negative collective for a stable hover. Well, this thing has so

much power now that it came hauling butt back towards me. Scared the crap out of me lmao. But, I was able to give it full negative collective and punch out of it. Now I was ready to really play.

I wanted to see what the FFF was like, and holy crap this thing will move now. The flip and roll rate is insane, and I was on low rates the whole time. I ended up flying a second battery since people wanted to see it again, but that was the last one. I really wanted to get the extra in the air, but just thinking about flying it for the first time had me shaking lmao.

So I go and take the plane out of the car, and I got the battery and sat it next to okrds's plane and sat back down lol. After a while with people asking if I was just going to let it sit, it was time to fly it for the first time. In the back of my mind, I can only think about the right aileron that was bad and had two broke hinges. I was just hoping the other hinges will hold together. So, I stuck the battery in and started checking all of the control surfaces since this plane has never been run on this Tx. I forgot the guys name, but he came over and asked if I wanted a spotter since this thing had me nervous. I said sure, I like someone to chat with when I'm flying.

I sat the plane on the taxi way, and found out my tail wheel was not correct, but everything else is great. I get it on the runway, and the guy is standing there wondering how this takeoff is going to go lmao. So I add power, the tail lifts up, I add a little up elevator, and she is in the air. The guy says "You don't need no spotter, that was a great takeoff" lmao. What he didn't know was landings out there are not exactly my specialty. I'm great at takeoff's though, just a little rudder, and it will track straight.

Once in the air, I'm trying to get a feel for this thing. I have to hold a lot of down elevator to keep it in level flight. I also notice, and noticed at takeoff, there is a lot of play in the controls. This is due to the holes in the controls being way bigger than the rods, simple fix that will be done before I fly it next. But, I'm in the air, and we are trimming out. I had to almost max out my trim on the down elevator just to get it to fly level. Ailerons only needed a couple clicks and they were set, and the rudder was dead on. So it was time for some rolls and such just to test it out. Remember, my hands are crazy shakey lol. Everything goes without a hitch and this thing is flying great.

Now it's time to bring it in for a landing. The wind can't make up it's mind where it wants to come from, so I decide to head to the north and land to the south. First pass I"m too hot and I go around. Second pass I'm going over the parking lot next to the field to line up between the light polls and all of a sudden, the plane can't be seen lol. I give a little aileron roll, and I see it again. Man this plane can hide when looking directly at it. So I lower the throttle and we are on final approach. I over shoot the runway about half way, and I'm off to the left in the grass. That's fine, it will help the plane slow down since I'm already half way down the runway lol. I touch it down, it does it's classic bounce I add a little back elevator, it comes down and the landing gears grab the grass and she is flipped over on her lid lmao. No damage, just a crappy landing.

I did take it up a second time with the same control horns and all the slop, and this time I was able to hold a stable hover with this plane on low rates. This says something about the plane, I like it. It's not the best plane to fly fast and gets beat around quite a bit, but it's great for slower flight. Unfortunately, I forgot my velcro for my new batteries so I couldn't get too stupid with it on the second flight. I did do some hovering, loops and rolls and everything is great. At this time, there are 3 planes (including rdsok) in the air. The first plane lands and is off the runway and Randy says he is coming in. I said I will just follow him in about 10 seconds later. As he was coming in, he found a pocket in the air and his plane landed just short and to the left of the runway. I thought he did what I did and flipped it over and I was on final. I added power and told him he could get it if he needed. At this time, my Tx started counting down on the timer and it ran out. I'm sure I have more than 5 minutes in these batteries so I'm good. I go around again, Randy taxis off the runway, and it's my turn. Again, this plane just floats, I go about half way down and touch down in the grass. Man does this plane hate landing in grass lol. Again, it catches it and I nose it in. But this time, the back comes down and I'm able to taxi it in. Great flight, just wish my battery was more secure.

That was my final flight, and it was then that I realized I didn't have my camera nor had shot any video lmao. So this is my bad guys. I enjoyed being out there again, and with the wind as light as it was, it was great flying. Lots of planes including two 100cc monsters.

I did get my Edge out and set it up with my Tx, so it just needs it's maiden with the new Tx and new landing gear. I'm sure it will go just fine, this thing was on rails the last time I flew it. Just wish I would have brought my prop and a charged battery for it. I really wanted to fly it but it will have to wait for next time. So all in all, it was a great time out at the flying field. Might go out there tomorrow if I can find time. Now if I can just remember the code to the gate lmao.

Lee

Good times Tony. You are a bad boy for not getting video after all the abuse you have given the rest of us :D

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I had an amazing day too man! but WHERE IS VIDEO!! you are on the verge of torture from me now!!! grrrrrrrrrrrr

murankar

Staff member
Give me video or give me death!!! LOL LOL. Nice to see y9u actually got out to the field for fun time. Now go back and get some video next time.

Tony

Staff member
I will see if I can get out there tomorrow and grab a little video for you guys. May even toss the Edge in the air since it's setup and I just finished charging batteries. So, you could possibly see the Edge, Extra and the mcpx in the air tomorrow.

Top Bottom