450 Flying By Pitch

Matt

What is it called when setting the throttle to a fixed number and flying the heli based on the pitch of the blades? Is that collective management?

Admiral

If initiated from the IU switch it is called "Idle Up" or "Stunt Mode" not sure what it is called with the IU switch in the normal position, probably just "Normal Mode"

My normal mode is something like 0,80,80,80,80 it varies slightly depending on the helicopter the IU curves are 90,85,80,85,90 & 90,90,90,90,90.
As I'm only a sports flyer I prefer Normal mode because I can kill the motor from the throttle if I put the helicopter in, I also use the hold switch in these circumstances but if I'm too slow the bird does the chicken dance.

I'm sure you will get plenty of comments on this subject.

PS. Yes I know I should be running in govenor mode, yeah I'll get around to it when I can get my head around it.

Onespeed

Stunt mode or Idle up. Different rpms are used for different flight characteristics. For example higher head speed equals faster cyclic response. Collective Management is controlling the rpms through the pitch of the blades. Example you are in a maneuver that is fast flight and you want to pop out (have more energy). Before you pop you would use collectice management by centering your pitch stick (returning pitch to 0) to build head speed before applying heavy pitch again.

murankar

Staff member
Collective management is a skill you need to learn while flying. Its the ability to put the heli in a shload of positions without losing hardly any head speed. It helps the governor and keeps your amp draw fairly consistent with less amp draw spikes. Its about smooth a steady stick inputs. watch Nick Maxwel fly, i think its him the old thunder tiger team pilot. That guy could fly a 700 class heli on 120 amp esc and still beat the hell out of it. That's collective management.

what your asking about is what everyone has stated. Its Stunt Mode, Idle Up, or normal mode. Its came from the Specktrum radios. before today's radios ESCs we couldn't start off in a "IU 1 mode" because the throttle signal would not be at zero. In today's radios we use "Banks" instead. Its essentially the same as IU 1 but we now have a complete configuration for the head speed. Everything from pitch to gains and head speed.

Your thinking of governor mode. In the old days it was a flat line curve or a"V" curve. One needed good collective management to fly flat or V curves. They didnt have a governor to help keep the head speed steady, unless you flew nitro.

Last edited:
Top Bottom