Flying bolt.

treff

I was in my study this evening messing with the computer. Behind me are my two 450 helis sitting
on a desk. Suddenly there was quite a crack! a sound quite loud then something ricochet around the
study bouncing off the ceiling and then a wall, bouncing across the floor. Very unnerving. It turned out to be the bolt holding the tail onto the boom
had spontaneously snapped and went flying around the room. Strange. I did not realise I had tightened
it that much. Talk about this hobby being dangerous. Spinning blades are dangerous enough but spontaneous
flying bolts adds an whole new dimension.

pvolcko

Wow. Be glad it didn't happen in flight. And that it happened with you in the room. Easy thing to miss on a preflight.

treff

Yes very strange the worst part is I can not get the broken part out of the tail case with out drilling.

pvolcko

Try heating it up a bit to break the loctite lose. And then use a backout bit to see if you can get a bite on it and back it out safely. Drilling it will almost certainly ruin the threading in the tail case and require either a retap up to a larger size or replacement.

cml001

That's gotta be a small extractor bit! Is it flush with the housing or broke off deep?

treff

Hi, sorry for slow reply been away. The bolt OS deep and am unable to remove so l have left it there and glued casing to boom

Top Bottom