Micro Flightless Blkade 200 SRX

Heliman450

Hi all, visiting to ask about a friend's Blade 200 SRX I was asked to have a look at some time ago. I discovered that a servo wasn't working and after replacement was disappointed to find that it just flopped around on the ground. I went into the internet and downloaded some set-up instructions and managed to get to a point where it doesn't flop around any more but refuses to lift off the ground and just kind of buzzes around like an over weight bumble bee.

Any insight on how to change this will be much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

KLA

Any way that you can post a video of what is going on? I don't have a 200srx but l, and a few others, have a 230S which has the SAFE system that is very similar to the 200srx. A video of the problem would better help us to see what the problem is and we could help get you straightened out a little easier.

Heliman450

Any way that you can post a video of what is going on? I don't have a 200srx but l, and a few others, have a 230S which has the SAFE system that is very similar to the 200srx. A video of the problem would better help us to see what the problem is and we could help get you straightened out a little easier.

Hi Keith, thanks for getting back. Of course I can oblige with a video but it will take me a day or so to set it up as I can't just do it here at home. I expect to go to my flying club later but it's to the clubhouse after dark. I'll get back soonest.

Heliman450

Hi all,

A very quick video to show the problem. I'm not sure that it provides much more than I related below, but suffice to say, it does this 'buzzing' around and doesn't lift off despite having more collective input.

[video=youtube_share;w4A3SEA9OUg]https://youtu.be/w4A3SEA9OUg[/video]

Over to you guys for some suggestions and thanks in anticipation.

KLA

Hi all,

A very quick video to show the problem. I'm not sure that it provides much more than I related below, but suffice to say, it does this 'buzzing' around and doesn't lift off despite having more collective input.

[video=youtube_share;w4A3SEA9OUg]https://youtu.be/w4A3SEA9OUg[/video]

Over to you guys for some suggestions and thanks in anticipation.

Hey, I watched your video and you're right, really can't tell much from that. When your left stick is all the way up, full positive pitch, how much pitch do you have on your blades? Of course check this with throttle hold on or motor wires unplugged. It seems like you don't have enough positive pitch. You said you redid the setup. Are you sure you did it correctly? Remember that on this heli when you move the collective stick up for positive pitch, the swashplate will actually move DOWN, not up like on a normal 450.

Heliman450

Hi Keith,

I've recovered my downloaded instructions for the 200 SRX (hidden away in a drawer). As I suspected, I need to go through them and confirm that all's well. Thanks for the pointer on swash plate direction, I'm well versed on this kind of stuff from my involvement elsewhere on the Forum. The swash plate direction depends upon whether the blade arrangement has trailing or leading edge control to the blades. It is travelling the correct way and does get light on the skids, which it didn't previously, so at least some improvement.

My friend has a strange mix of RC models and I'm not sure why he has this particular one in his collection. I suspect that it's a practice heli for some kids that visit from time to time and having broken it, he doesn't want to spend any money getting it air born again. Personally, I think I'd have just thrown it away and bought another one :chickendance:

I'll keep you posted.

Tony

Staff member
How much collective pitch do you have on the blades? Have you put a pitch gauge on it?

KLA

I asked the same thing and it sounds like he has some experience setting up helicopters but never did tell me how much pitch he actually has. I would think it is either set up wrong or has the wrong settings in the transmitter.

Tony

Staff member
I have no doubt in my mind that he knows how to set up a helicopter. I'm just trying to cover all bases while starting from the beginning.

KLA

Did you change the blades at all? And if you did, did you get the correct blades for a 200srx? Cause the 200srx is a fixed pitch heli, not collective pitch and requires blades that have a set pitch of 6°-8°. If you put CP blades on it you won't get enough lift and it will do exactly what the heli does in the video.

trainrider06

Its gotta be a pitch issue somewhere, good call Keith, never even thought about someone sticking the wrong blades on it.

Heliman450

Did you change the blades at all? And if you did, did you get the correct blades for a 200srx? Cause the 200srx is a fixed pitch heli, not collective pitch and requires blades that have a set pitch of 6°-8°. If you put CP blades on it you won't get enough lift and it will do exactly what the heli does in the video.

Hi Keith, it isn't my heli so I can't answer that one. I'll work on the assumption that it's probably a good place to start and buy a new set as they are damaged and could easily have been a farmer's 'quick fix'. He's done a lot of those :biggrin1:

KLA

Thanks Rodney.

With a fixed pitch heli there aren't too many things that can go wrong to cause that problem. In the video there obviously isn't enough lift to get the heli off of the ground. The only real problems that can cause this is either not enough pitch or not enough headspeed. In the video, the headspeed seemed ok which leads me to believe that it has to be a pitch issue. That's why I thought that maybe someone accidentally put the wrong type of blades on it. Unless he is using a programmable TX and has some crazy throttle and/or pitch curves.

Hey Phil, I know that Blade makes a set of 8° blades for the 200srx. Try those and see if that solves your problem. You said the blades are damaged so either way it won't be wasted money and at least you will be sure that you have the correct blades on the heli. I don't remember exactly where I saw them at this moment, but I'll see if I can find them and post a link to them for you.

If you have any other progress, please let us know.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Phil, I found those 8 degree blades I was telling you about. They're made by Xtreme Productions and are a reasonable price. Here is the link:

http://www.xtreme-production.com/xtreme/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=8540

Try them out and see if they help, but also make sure you have the correct throttle and pitch curves programmed in your TX.

Good luck and let us know how things are going.

Last edited:

Heliman450

Hi Keith, great info., thanks very much. I put in my order for the 8 degree blades. I tried to measure what the pitch is but unfortunately, my pitch gauge is too big for the blades and doesn't sit right to do the check. One thing occurred to me though. Is it possible to mix up the blades from a CP without realising it?

My local store doesn't open until Tuesday, so for now I'll leave the little bird on one side in favour of my latest project in the 700-800 section.

Bye now!

KLA

Hi Keith, great info., thanks very much. I put in my order for the 8 degree blades. I tried to measure what the pitch is but unfortunately, my pitch gauge is too big for the blades and doesn't sit right to do the check. One thing occurred to me though. Is it possible to mix up the blades from a CP without realising it?

My local store doesn't open until Tuesday, so for now I'll leave the little bird on one side in favour of my latest project in the 700-800 section.

Bye now!

On the 200srx I think it would definitely be possible to mix up the blades from a CP heli. The stock 200srx blades, although they are FP blades, look surprisingly similar to CP blades like the blades for a 230S, Blade SR or a Blade CP. If someone is not very sure or not as expierence and didn't know better, then, yes, it would be very easy to mix up the blades.

But, if you ordered the correct 200srx blades it is a good starting point for solving your problem. Plus, you said the blades were damaged anyway so it won't be wasted money. Once you get them let me know how it works out.

On a different note, what transmitter are you using?

Heliman450

Hi Keith,

I've only used the original Blade Tx. (name escapes me and it isn't with me now to check), however, there was a model allocated to the heli in both his Spektrum DX6's, too. Is there any advantage to using another one?

Since replacing a broken servo and going through the set-up instructions I downloaded, I've tried the heli with full stick but it zooms all over the place as per the video. It seems pointless to try unless it will stay in one place before getting air born. At least it will stay upright now as previously it just flipped over before I changed the servo. When holding it in my hand and spinning it up does feel as though it is trying to lift straight but I doubt it has enough power to overcome my firm grip in any case.

One thing I did pick up is regarding altitude. We're at 650m above sea level here but the reference was for greater than 1000m if my memory serves me correctly.

Thanks for keeping on the case.

KLA

I think the stock RTF transmitter for the 200srx is the Blade HP4DSM transmitter. No, there isn't really an advantage to using the RTF TX. I only asked because if you were using the DX6 I would be curious to what pitch and throttle curves you were using. Having the wrong pitch and throttle curves would definitely affect the flight of the heli. But, I'm sure that you know that already.

Also, like you said, at a very high altitude the flight of a helicopter could be affected because the air just is not as dense and doesn't provide as much lift, but, I don't think that 650m is high enough to cause a problem.

Top Bottom