Flight Controllers Flight Controllers Vs Windows

Derek

Hey all (or just whoever replies). I was just wondering if anyone has ever been able to setup and configure a multirotor flight controller on a Windows10 machine.

I wanted to setup a previous mini quad with a brand new KISS FC but couldn't ever get it to work on my Windows10 laptop. I took the KISS FC to my Windows7 Desktop PC and I was able to setup and configure the KISS FC with ease. I've since tossed the KISS FC into my spare parts bin because I can't configure it via my laptop. I bought the new laptop so that I could configure and make changes at the flying field, so, the KISS FC had to go.

Recently, I've bought an Omnibus F4 v1 FC with integrated OSD. I'm planning on installing this on my 49" FPV wing, along with GPS. The plan is for OSD, RTH, Auto launch, heading hold, and stabilization. However, I've been struggling to get the Omnibus board to show the COM ports in my Device Manager and then connect to the GUI, on my laptop (again, Windows10). So, I took the board to my Desktop PC (Windows7) and I was able to get the appropriate COM Ports to be displayed, and used, and I was able to get the Omnibus to connect to the Inav GUI.

Has anyone else had troubles using Windows10 to connect an FC to the GUI???

RandyDSok

Windows 10 by default enforces a stricter control over the drivers it will allow to install without taking steps to force install them... This is true with any device.

Check your device's manufacturer's website for Win10 compatible drivers if they weren't provided. If they don't have any... you should be able to force install older unsigned Win7-8.1 drivers ...

How to Install Unsigned Drivers in Windows 10 - Make Tech Easier

Admiral

I can connect to Cleanflight, Raceflight, Baseflight, Betaflight, LibrePilot, & MultiWii without any issues, my system is Window 10 64 bit with all standard updates & patches nothing special.

I have never tried KISS FC but I'm pretty sure my son has and his is a Window 10 64 bit laptop.

RandyDSok

ok, then it's clearly something i'm doing wrong

Plug in the controller into the computer... then look through the Device Manager after it's detected ( you should hear a sound when a device connects by default if the sound isn't muted or turned down too much )...

Look for any device that has a yellow highlighted "!" or "?" or not... if there is one, disconnect it to verify that the device in question goes away, if so... the proper driver is not installed and you need to install it according to the instructions they provided or force install it as I mentioned by following the instructions in the linked post I gave earlier.

If there is not any device showing the "!" or "?".... the driver is installed. You mentioned it is suppose to be assigned a COM port number... expand the Ports ( click on the + sign next to that category ) and see which Com port numbers you have available and use that info for the settings in your program. If more than one Com port is listed, you can disconnect the device to see which one goes away to figure out which Com port got assigned to the device.

If you don't hear a sound of a device being connected/added when you plug in your controller... then try a different USB port. ( of course, make sure your sound isn't muted or turned down so you can hear the sound if there is one ).

Derek

Unfortunately, in Device Manager, there is no "!" nor a "?". There is also no Ports drop-down. Thats the problem. But....when i plug in any of my other flight controllers, the Ports drop-down is there and i can see what COM port its on.

RandyDSok

While the previous info I provided is standard for most devices... there are several variations of USB to COM type devices and each installs differently depending on how the manufacturer did it... so I've got to refer you to their instructions on how to install it... hopefully they will be Win10 compatible...

Only suggestion, check their website out and look for the drivers and/or driver setup and then follow their instructions for installation....

Derek

Hey guys! I just wanted to report back with some good news. I finally found a YouTube video that I could understand and follow for help. I will be the first to admit that I am NOT a computer-smart person. I use a computer for online shopping, YouTube, Facebook, and programming my flight controllers for my helicopters, quads, and now planes. That's basically about it. So, when I need to get into the Device Manager for anything...the road gets a lot more bumpy, lol.

Anyway, I found a video from Project Blue Falcon (RIP) and he showed how to get various fc's to work by going through various setup steps. I was able to follow along and pause, as needed, and within 15 minutes, I am now able to connect my Omnibus F4 v1 fc to my Windows10 laptop. Outstanding!!! I was able to flash the board with the latest stable firmware and I am not able to connect to the Inav GUI that I'll be using. Awesome!

So, now I get to work on the GUI settings and then installation into my 49" wing. Then, despite the cold weather nearly here, I will be maidening this thing and trying out the RTH, auto launch, loiter, OSD, and much more.

Although I didn't get the full solution from RCH, I'm still quite glad that you guys chimed in and tried to help. I just wish I could understand more how this "computer stuff" works, lol. Maybe in time and with more practice, lol.

Thanks guys!!!

Top Bottom