General First rolls and loops

Stambo

Ok guys, I am getting quite comfortable flying my AXN around now so as soon as the weather is favourable I want to try my first loops and rolls.
The camera will be rolling before anyone asks. :)
Any advice and tips would be appreciated. :)
I guess the first thing is plenty of altitude for recovery from mistakes.
I have practised in the sim but it's never the same.

Tony

Staff member
Just make sure to not pull the aileron when doing a loop and not pull the elevator when doing a roll. And when doing a loop, power into it, coast out of it.

Derek

Tony's suggestions are spot on! Just take the AXN out and have some fun with it!

Lee

Loops.
Good entry speed. Wings level.
Pull back elevator and hold until its returns to level (don't chicken out) LOL :D
As you go over the top, cut back on the throttle.

Rolls.
Good entry speed again.
I find a slight touch of back elevator help the beginner.
If you just roll Aileron only, unless its really well balanced, it will dive towards the ground in the inverted portion.
With the slight elevator, it will climb at the start of the roll, then climb again as you return to level flight.
This is more like a barrel roll.
So slight back elevator to make a gradual climb, add aileron to start the roll.
Hold until you return to level.
Oh and did I say, Don't chicken out LOL :D
Most people crash because half way through, they loose orientation and return the stick to centre. Bad idea :D
Trust your input and hold it unit its level again.

Good luck

Stambo

Typical, I'm all ready to give it a go and weather all weekend was either wind, rain or both at the same time.
Here comes Monday, I'm back at work, the sun is shining and wind is about 2 or 3 kmh.

cml001

Yeah what Lee said.. Depends on the plane... U may have to use a little ele on the roll.. Particularly while inverted.. Just do the Maneuver at a good altitude and as Lee said.. Don't chicken out on the roll.. If it does nose down on ya.. Keep it rolling until ur back upright and pull up.. Once you've done a few you will know what your plane needs to make the roll stay flat. I need to get my plank in the truck for tomorrow after work.. I could fly it a few time after the 550... Thanks for the reminder!

Stambo

I did it!!
Loops only, first attempt was really lame, next couple were a bit messy but started getting the idea of how much speed to carry going in.
Sorry about the crappy video/audio quality but without help it's all I've got.
Now I just got to grow some and try some rolls. :)

Loops - YouTube

Ken Jackson

Your all set now. Much easier then a helicopter. Good to see your still around Stambo. Hadn't seen your name much recently but I've been away myself.

Ken

Top Bottom