General First RC Airplane Flight

NordCelt

I've been dabbling with RC helicopters a while but decided to get an airplane and give it a try. I've got a commercial pilots license and thousands of hours flying fixed wing aircraft and working as a flight instructor. I'm familiar with the RC transmitter from my helicopter flying. I didn't think an airplane would be interesting since I'd flown so much I didn't think it would be a challenge.

I bought a Parkzone Sport Cub with tudra tires because it reminded me of an airplane I use to fly. Put it together and checked the wx report to see if it would be a good day to fly. Winds were suppose to be low so went to the park. Naturally wanted to take off into the wind but noticed they were out of the north instead of forecast south and stronger than forecast. I had planned on feeling out the plane like I would a real experimental aircraft with fast taxi's, lift off-land, get in the air check stall characteristics etc.

All that went the window. With a burst of over confidence, and a gust of wind, the plane jumped right off the ground so I kept climbing. After I turned for a southerly down wind I noticed just before I was about to turn for base leg that the wind was in my face again and quickly understood why the plane climbed all of a sudden on it's downwind leg. I thought I'd turn around to go back north so I could land southbound into the wind. So I did a 180 to then be on a north bound down wind leg for a southerly landing.

Then I felt a gust hit me coming from the west. I thought, boy if I was going into an airport they'd be advising me of wind shear. As that thought hit I pondered the light weight of my Cub and how wind shear could play havoc with such a light plane. About that time as I was buffeted by a strong gust out of the south as I watched my north bound plane drop out of the sky. I tried getting the nose down to get some airspeed back then tried a flair at the last moment. Pulled it up enough to hit on the gear but she flipped over on her back.

When I went over to retrieve the plane I found a broken gear fairing, bent landing gear, and a crinkled rudder from flipping over on her back. I must say this has been a very humbling experience. My overconfidence has been burst. But, since I ran into these difficulties I'm a bit more interested in planes than I was before. This is harder than I thought. Now I'm thinking, this high lift wing is better for steady wind days. I need a high wing load aerobat and more power.

Cub's patched up good enough to fly and new parts on order. I'm looking over aerobatic RC's now but due to a rash of recent buying need to take some time and carefully select next AC. Any good idea's out the for a first aerobat, 11V system up to 3300 mAh so no need to buy new batteries, and maybe a "safe system" since I found airplanes have to go farther away than helicopters and orientation can become a problem. Safe system is not mandatory since with aerobat I can loop up and aileron over for a down wind and keep orientation better (theoretically).

I believe another RC airplane addict has been born.

Tony

Staff member
Fantastic story! And a less than desirable ending unfortunately. Hope you get the plane back up in the air soon.

Have you thought about building your own plane? I have an Edge 540 3D plane in the store you can download for free. All you need is the electronics to put on it.

RC-Help.com - Thank You For Your Purchase!

NordCelt

I've already got the Cub flyable again. I bent the gear straight in a vice and used cocktail toothpicks to splint the rudder. It's not pretty but I can fly it till the parts come in.

Funny you should mention building since I want to build at some level for my next plane. I was thinking probably plug and play but maybe would consider doing something more challenging. Need to do a bit of research into the idea first. I'll search the site to look at the plane you mentioned. The more I get into this hobby the more I like doing things myself.

I also crashed my T-Rex 250 yesterday. It handled the wind fine. I would have been ok with it, but my wife was watching so I had to show her how good I was. It was a nice show right up till the abrupt ending. Damage wasn't too bad so will have it flying a few minutes after parts arrive and I replace a broken rotor spindle and Servo arm.

Our maintenance test pilot gave me a few dozen hours of flight instruction in a UH-1H Huey when I was in the Army many decades ago. Being in the cockpit makes it easier to fly them too. The RC helicopters handle wind better than airplanes just like the real ones do. In the Army they said that was because airplanes fly but helicopter beat the air into submission.

NordCelt

I've download the plans and the video how to link. Thanks for letting me know. I plan on building a plug and play aerobat first, then a T Rex 450, or vice versa. Then a long term project like the Edge will likely be just what I want to do next. I'll have my shop room all set up by then.

Tony

Staff member
It's not really a long term project. You can have this built and in teh air in a day or less. Also, there is the RCH Trainer V3 in there as well. It's a high wing plane, but you can modify the wing to get a little more speed out of it. If you cut 4" off the tips of the wings, it makes a much faster plane that is more fun to fly. IMO that is lol. People like my admin on here are just bored with high wing planes lol.

No matter though, what counts is you have fun. Let me know if you need any help with it. ,

rjhenry

I have a super cub that is a little smaller than your sport cub, and it hates the wind even more, so I wanted something a little better. I looked at a few diff. planes
and went with the Pulse 15e . It's only been up 3 times so far but I love it.

NordCelt

Got the plans downloaded and will take a closer look once I get my backlog of helicopter repairs caught up. I've never worked with balsa wood other than pre-cut models when I was young. I think I can get down to a 1/8" blade on my bandsaw. Imagine since the wood is so soft I'd want a pretty fine tooth blade. That would just make rough cuts. I have some wood carving tools and knives that I imagine I'd use to get things closer to final shape then fine sand to finish the pieces.

Is that somewhat how the parts get made?

Tony

Staff member
I think we are talking two different things here. My plans are built out of foamboard, not balsa. But if you are talking about repairing your bird, or building a kit, I would go to your LHS and get a saw kit. It will come with a saw handle, a few very fine tooth blades and a miter box. I have one and it's fantastic.

NordCelt

We are talking about two different things because I don't know what I'm talking about. Guess I'll do a search on RC Airplane foam board and see what I find.

Tony

Staff member
I purchase my foamboard from DollarTree. It's a buck a sheet. I usually order a box of 50 sheets, but you don't get a break in price ordering this way.

NordCelt

Funny you should say that. I just got the Pulse 15e and will fly it later this week when the winds die down a bit. What caught my attention was the wide range of batteries I can use that I already have for other RC's. I've been working with the simulator to program my left thumb to think like feet on rudder pedals. I should have aborted the first attempt when the winds were worse than expected but I never learn anything the easy way.

NordCelt

Tony, thanks for posting all the You Tube foam board how to info. I've got foam board on the way as well as foam working tools you mentioned in your video. Got the plans you mentioned downloaded too. Imagine I'll use the planes as a guide to draw the parts onto the foam board then cut them out.

Top Bottom