General First Flight ESC and Motor gone bad - Need Help

Sm0102

Hi All,

I am new to RC toys and have not done this before.

I have tried to make a RC plane but unfortunately, I have burnt two ESC's and two motors :(

Help me understand why this is happening, I am using the following :

1) 3S 25C 11.1V 2200mAh Deans Plug Li-Po Battery (working fine)
2) Micro 9g (working fine)
3) RioRand® 30A Brushless Motor Speed Controller RC BEC ESC (Gone BAD :()
4) uxcell A2212-6 2200KV Outrunner Brushless Motor ( Not sure why its inconsistent after the first full throttle may be gone bad)
5) FlySky FS-T6 2.4ghz Digital Proportional 6 Channel Transmitter and Receiver (Working Fine)
6) Prop size 8x6

Here are the questions:
a) When i do full throttle something burns :( not sure what has gone wrong ( I have not flown yet, died in first flight itself)
b) Am i using the right stuff ? Any recommendations ?
c) Any settings needs to be done before i try full throttle ?
d) After full throttle motor was not working and I saw smoke, why ? Other motor was not moving intermittently and did not work properly.
e) No beeping of ESC any more after I kept on trying (I think i nailed it after multiple tries, it was dead)
f) Any other suggestion ?

-sm

Tony

Staff member
Have you thought about going with a different ESC? Those ESC's that you are using are very bottom shelf and not that good. Something like a HobbyWing 40a is what I would use. I have them in many aircraft and never had a failure. The motor is a generic motor that has had some success. But you may look into new motor as well. But after the ESC. And, on that ESC, the BEC is quite weak.

RandyDSok

You may have exceeded the max amps for the motor but looking at the maker/reseller page for this motor, they don't even list what their max amps actually are although they mention using a GWS7035 ( probably on a 2 cell battery ) which is a smaller diameter and pitch prop than you used. Looking at similar ( differently branded but looks identical ) motors... the max prop size I see recommended is a 6x4 on 2 cells and 5x5 on a 3 cell battery.

You'd probably also be better off getting an inline amp meter so you can test your motor/battery/prop combinations to help avoid pulling too many amps. But if the motor doesn't have these specs, it makes it hard to know what to test for.

So with Tony's recommendation to get a better quality ESC ... I'd also recommend a better quality motor and one that actually lists the motors recommended specs so you can avoid burning it up. If they give you no real info on specs, avoid it completely, it's a sign they don't provide a quality product.

Smoggie

Yeah, you are way over propped. According to the specs I've got for that motor on 3s the max prop size is 5x5.. I'd assume a 6x3 would be ok too but your 8x6 is far FAR too big.

Sm0102

Yeah, you are way over propped. According to the specs I've got for that motor on 3s the max prop size is 5x5.. I'd assume a 6x3 would be ok too but your 8x6 is far FAR too big.

Thank you all! I will check and revert ...

Smoggie

Your 8x6 prop is still too much for that motor (on 3s). With that motor and your 3s battery you would be looking at a 7x4 prop or similar. The ESC would work but is overkill because it's a 40A ESC and the motor is only 20A.. So that means the ESC is bigger and heavier than it needs to be for the motor (25-30A would be fine).

It's impossible to say what will actually work without knowing more about the plane it's installed in (type, size weight etc)... On the face of it the motors you are mentioning seem rather small for a plane with a 3s 2200mAh battery. The motor you linked to is a 50g motor, typically for a plane using a battery of that size you would be looking at a motor of around close to 150g. I cant say if it's a case of battery too big or motor too small without knowing what plane it's all going in.

Smoggie

Lookink at the spec on the plan the recommended motor is only 60g which is smaller than I'd expect but this is a trainer, not a 3D model so I'm sure that will be ok.
So just look for a motor of 60g weight (a bit more would be fine) with a Kv in the 1000 to 1300 range.

Tony

Staff member
The 60g motor weight is the low end. I have use up to a 100g motor on this plane, but it doesn't need that much. The motors listed above would be great. I would do the D3530 with a 10x6.

Top Bottom