Spektrum First DX6I mod

hal9000

As watching a YouTube video where the presenter noted that here was a small red led inside the transmitter. I did a Google search and note hat no one appears to have used this in a mod.

This got me to thinking! I have some ultra intense blue LEDs lying about, why not unsolder the red led and run a lead up to the specktrum logo and place the blue led there.

After spending nearly an hour trying to clear one of the two through board holes (sucking, wicking etc) I finally got the lead and led installed.

While its not as impressive as I hoped, its still a good indicator that the transmitter is on. I think I may yet drill a small hole above the centre bar of the logo and mount the led there.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
I ran across this a while back, so I searched for it to provide the link:
This guys channel is full of excellent videos as well...

Last edited by a moderator:

hal9000

Thanks. I did see those but there were two things that I did not agree with.

1. Big 5mm led in the centre of the DX6i sticker
2. Hacking a power supply source and having to add a resistor.

All I have done is extended a lead from the current LED and located it under the logo where it shines through, although not as bright as I had envisioned.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
I agree as well. But think in terms of moving that red (you could change the color too) LED to a similarly drilled and capped hole at the top of the TX... If I were to do it, I'd likely go that route. It may be possible to hack the logo, and place a LED there such that it lights up pretty well too.

Tony

Staff member
I think that crap that Dave Herbert did looks horrible. Total crap because he did it half assed. if I were to do it, I would put it just under the antenna in that blank spot. there is enough room for a nice 3-5mm LED. Dave used to do great videos, however he is starting to lose his touch now.

Top Bottom