600 First Blade 600x FLB build and Need help

theone2007

Hello, I have been flying fly barred T600 and blade 400 for a long time and even built them from scratch. I just completed building my first FLB Blade 600x (framed only) and now ready to hook up the electronics. Here are what I am using: YEP 120a, Ikon FLB v1, 12s Lipo setup. My delimna is I have no clue where to begin the process and have been stuck looking online for help with no avail. I will post picture of what I have. Could someone help me with a video as to how to plug the wires from the esc to Ikon to battery and to elflite BEC that came with the kit and from there the whole setup. I am sorry if that is asking too much.

IMAG0823.jpg

IMAG0825.jpg

IMAG0826.jpg

Tony

Staff member
I will have to let someone that knows the YEP help you out with that one. I know one is for your ESC and the other is for the program card. Then the plug with the blue EC3 or EC5 connectors is your serial adapter for your batteries. You will plug that one end into the ESC then plug the other two ends into the batteries. The small lead coming off of that is for the BEC to power it. The two plugs on the BEC are exactly the same. I doubt you are going to have any free holes to plug both of them in on teh rx, but you can plug one into the battery port after you bind the Rx.

However, I will say this. On a bird this size, running 12s, you really do want to run a governor. But with a 6ch Tx, it's almost impossible. If/when you can upgrade your Tx, it's worth it. You can find some killer deals for the DX8 right now on ebay since they pulled all of the DX8's of the shelf.

theone2007

Since I am flying yet do I need to plug both batteries into the Y-harness to do the setup or can I just plug one battery in.

- - - Updated - - -

I meant since I AM NOT flying yet do I need to plug both batteries in to do the ikon setup or do I just need one 6s 5000 mah battery.

- - - Updated - - -

I have never use governor nor have any clue how to use it, but I do have the DX6i radio, can I still use it for the 12s setup? IS it going to harm anything ?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

murankar

Staff member
As for how many batteries needed for setup that's easy, 1. You don't need a full 12s setup to setup the electronics you could probably use a 3s for set but just stick with a 6s pack and you'll be good.

The governor is going to the last thing you set after tuning your 600. You will want to get the heli as dialed in as possible especially the tail. The tail needs to be locked in for your style of flying. Adding the governor to the mix will add a level of complexity that will lead you to believe the gains on the FBL unit are jacked when really its the governor causing it.

For now get the servos 90ed to the main shaft/servo body, setup your linkages, get the FBL installed and complete your tuning. Once you get to that point then we can discuss the governor setup.

Although its not required some kind of leveling platform will help out when setting up the ikon. What you will need is a vertical main shaft that's plum on both For/aft and roll. This will help with setting up the head for pitch and leveling the swash. If you need some help with this part soko heli tools has post a series of videos on how to do a head setup. Albeit its for the soko tool but the concept is universal to any pitch gauge. I have found this series helpful when I setup my X3 and helped speed things up a bit. Your milage may vary and there maybe a difference in opinion on this topic.

Everyone has their way of doing a setup on the FBL head so take the advice and weed out what you dont like and keep the info you like. One thing that is common is get your 0 pitch at mid stick as close as humanly possible before working on the rest of the head setup.

theone2007

So here is the mock up of the electronic wiring setup. Could you expert tell me what I am doing wrong? I also notice one side of the ikon has two little sat ports and the other side has one port. Do I need to plug all three satellites for the setup? There is two wires coming out the Eflite external BEC and I dont know where to plug that into and there is also two wires coming out the YEP 120a and I also dont know where to plug those. Please advise. I am using the Glacier 3 cell 11.1 Volt for the setup. I noticed that after plugging in one battery for the setup, the other end of the Y-harness ec3 is empty.

- - - Updated - - -

Since I am going 12s setup is it necessary to change all the connections to EC5?

IMAG0835.jpg

IMAG0832.jpg

IMAG0831.jpg

Tony

Staff member
First thing is first, that gyro does NOT have reverse polarity protection. So be very careful on how you plug that BEC into that gyro. Just remember that the signal wire will always go towards the label. On the bec, the black wire will go AWAY from the label towards the bottom.

With that series connector, you are going to need to use both batteries to make things work. With it like that, you are not making a complete circuit.

But I can't stress enough, make sure your negative wire is on the bottom of the ikon. I would hate for you to lose a $225 gyro because of reverse polarity.

And I'm pretty sure the long lead on the ESC will go into the throttle port.

Tony

Staff member
those two plugs should be wired together, so you can use either one of them. But just to be sure, get a volt meter and make sure the output is the same on both.

theone2007

I thought I read somewhere that you are suppose to use both of them. I am confused as to which is the correct setup. Also when I bind my radio to the Ikon does the BEC need to be plug into the Ikon or do I just use the esc and plug the BEC in later after binding.

murankar

Staff member
If I am not mistaken, they added 2, sets for the purpose of programing without disconnecting the ESC from the RX. If that's the case then it should not matter which one plugs into the RX.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Tony

Staff member
For high drain applications, it's best to use both of them. But if you are using something like Align DS610's, one will work. Just keep an eye on the temp of those wires. You see, with a 6ch Tx, you don't have enough ports to plug them both in. Only one. And only after you bind the Rx to the Tx.

Oh, and the ports on the gyro. The two together are for satellite Rx's. The single one on the other side is for the Governor sensor only.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
If I am not mistaken, they added 2, sets for the purpose of programing without disconnecting the ESC from the RX. If that's the case then it should not matter which one plugs into the RX.

You are absolutely right about the two wires. Lee told me about this. The wire with the ring goes to the RX and the one without goes to the programming card so you do not have to unplug like murankar said. Good luck.

theone2007

Could someone tell me if I have to hook up both the ESC and BEC to power up the RX for binding and setup? Or do I just one or the other.

murankar

Staff member
If the power lead is removed from the RX wire then you will need both. If the power lead is still hooked up in the RX connector then no only use the ESC.

theone2007

If the power lead is removed from the RX wire then you will need both. If the power lead is still hooked up in the RX connector then no only use the ESC.

Could you please dumb it down for me. What do you mean the power lead is removed from the RX. Do you have an illustration or a picture? Yes I have no clue . Thanks

Tony

Staff member
You only have to hook up the BEC. If you are running the BEC, then your ESC should be an OPTO, meaning it does not supply any power through the red and black wires going to the Rx. Just plug the BEC into any port on the Rx, plug your bind plug into the batt/bind port and plug in the battery. This should start the LED on the Rx to flash rapidly. Once that does, make sure you have your model in your Tx, either go to the bind menu, or hold down the bind button while powering up the Tx and the light will start flashing slower. Once it goes steady, you are bound.

Remove the bind plug, unplug the battery, and move the BEC into the Batt port of the Rx. Then plug in all of the other connections and you are good to go.

theone2007

You only have to hook up the BEC. If you are running the BEC, then your ESC should be an OPTO, meaning it does not supply any power through the red and black wires going to the Rx. Just plug the BEC into any port on the Rx, plug your bind plug into the batt/bind port and plug in the battery. This should start the LED on the Rx to flash rapidly. Once that does, make sure you have your model in your Tx, either go to the bind menu, or hold down the bind button while powering up the Tx and the light will start flashing slower. Once it goes steady, you are bound.

Remove the bind plug, unplug the battery, and move the BEC into the Batt port of the Rx. Then plug in all of the other connections and you are good to go.

Like this? If so, do I need a third battery?IMAG0837.jpg

IMAG0837.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Actually, just to power the BEC, you only need the battery on the right. And you are going to need your satellite Rx's or your other Rx plugged into the ikon. I forgot that this is the setup you were running.

theone2007

Thanks Tony for all your help and patience, you mentioned earlier about polarity, the red wire side facing the label on the ikon and the black wire side facing downward, what about the binding plug? Is it going to fry my electronic if I plug it in wrong?

Tony

Staff member
The red wire will always be in the center. It's the signal wire that will be towards the label.

And the bind plug is just a jumper that shorts the ground and signal pins putting the gyro into bind mode. And what ever you do, do not apply power to the bind port. More information can be found in the ikon manual. It's written pretty well.

Top Bottom