Scale Fine tuning of the Cobra

holtneil

Hi guys when flying the Cobra if you reduce collective to fast the heli will drop like a brick, and even on full pitch it find its hard to stop and re-climb, some times getting to less then a foot from eating dirt, I adjusted the pitch on points 2/3/4 this has fixed the problem but now the motor and battery get hot , so I have reduced head speed, the motor gets warm but not as much it will burn if you touch it , battery is cooler now , Does any one know if the Hyperion motors run hot any way , the Cobra sound nice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_0E3eZuT6E

holtneil

Hi Tony max is 12 degs at point 3 I am at 8 degs now was at 6 , this did stop the high speed drop from the sky , Dont want the Cobra in the dirt

Tony

Staff member
I hear that. Sounds like the weight is pretty much the only factor in it not wanting to pull up. I guess it's just something to get used to in scale flying.

holtneil

Hi Tony it does make flying scale harder, The Hyperion motor is made by scorpion and they run hot so I think the motor will take a little heat ,I will oil the bearings more on it , if it works out to be getting to hot I will reduce pitch again and have to be careful not to hit the dirt

Tony

Staff member
One thing to remember is the motor is getting no air flow. It's stuffed inside that fuse so it will be getting a little warmer than normal. But you said you have reduced the heat by reducing the head speed, and quite honestly, it sounds great in the air! Just need some black blades for it now lol.

holtneil

Hi Tony I will paint the head and blades in black over the winter, I was just chatting to my mate who has about 20 scale helis , and it looks as if my CC esc may not be set up right and is making the motor run hot , so going to re set up and will let you know how I get on , Scale helicopters are hard work to set up right but I knew this and I am up for the work so I will sort it lol
I think the biggest problems are we start with a 3D heli and make this scale when we should buy a scale heli to start off

trainrider06

I sure do admire that bird! Looks great Neil!
I have been waiting for a week and a half on my pinions for my 450....:(

holtneil

Hi Rodney that is a real pain once you know what size your running for good order spares so no waiting
Any way guys did the set up of the ESC and changed a few settings all is good warm battery,warn motor( not hot any more), and stone cold ESC ,Now at 1940 rpm and flies nice just needs a test at the park
ALIGN 500 Cobra at 1940 head speed - YouTube

Tony

Staff member
I think I like the sound of it before better, but now you should have a little more punch out power. I'm guessing you lowered the timing just a touch?

holtneil

H Tony No I left it as was , the extra pitch and too high the head speed was making things hot , A friend of mine DON has about 20 scale helis and knows scale inside out , when I told him the problem he hit the nail on the head first time , the head speed cant be too low due to the gearing up of the motor so I needed to find the sweet spot and his 500s fly well at 1940 with out the motors, battery or ESC getting to hot I did like the sound of the lower head speed too but was making things hot Ok in the winter but due to the Cobra having no air flow inside I will start to cook things , I just need to give her a real test flight so I can see how the fast forward flight does , fingers crossed

holtneil

Hi Admiral I was thinking that too so what do I need ? will an old PC fan do or can I get smaller I dont have much room
Silly me I click on your link after lol I will have a look into it thanks

Last edited:

holtneil

Thanks I did stop flying the Cobra as I did like the way it dropped height , but now even in wind I fly this more than my 500 pro

Top Bottom