500 Finding a home for a Sat on a Align 500 GF

amastron

Can anyone give a hint or two on where to place a Spectrum AR 6210 Sat on my 500? If i go Fwd I get near the motor, Aft too close to the main receiver!
I read somewhere that the main antenna is Horizontal and the Sat should be Vertical. How close can it be to the motor and not have problems? Or the main receive?
Also, I was looking at just under the main drive gear, that's right under the rotor head. I can keep the wires nice and tidy there. Any help is greatly appreciated.

trainrider06

Can anyone give a hint or two on where to place a Spectrum AR 6210 Sat on my 500? If i go Fwd I get near the motor, Aft too close to the main receiver!
I read somewhere that the main antenna is Horizontal and the Sat should be Vertical. How close can it be to the motor and not have problems? Or the main receive?
Also, I was looking at just under the main drive gear, that's right under the rotor head. I can keep the wires nice and tidy there. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I put mine lower rear part of the frame, ran the sat wire down in front of my BeastX out the side, think there is a pic of it somewhere on here....my antenna wires run front to back with the receiver top facing down....to tell ya the truth not sure if thats right or not...LOL

Derek

I have the AR6210 on my 500, as well. The satellite rx has about a 6" extension. I have my main rx mounted on the rx tray at the back of the frame and then I have the satellite rx mounted on the side of the helicopter. The antenna on the main rx is horizontal and the antennas on the satellite are vertical. No, there isn't a huge amount of distance between the two rx's but I've had my 500 set up this way for nearly 3 years and I've not had an issue.

trainrider06

Hmm? Now I am wondering which wire I am supposed to be opposite to? The long one or the short one?
Sorry about the naked wire Tony hadn't got around to getting it covered yet...:(image.jpg

image.jpg

Derek

In all honesty, I think you'll be just fine with the set up as it is. The only change that I would suggest would be to turn your satellite 90 degrees, so that the antennas are vertical. The main rx already has horizontal antennas, so it would be ideal to have the satellite rx antennas going vertical.

Besides that...i think you are ready to fly!!!

trainrider06

I was a little hesitant about which way these went and by which wire the manual talked about.
This is how my reciever and sat are set up on my FB 450.
Now that they stuck the 2 wires on the AR7200BX it's confusing trying to figure out which wire
they are talking about...lol I went by the shorter wire, and believe it's correct if that was the wire
refered to. But if it's the longer wire, it's incorrect...
I may have to change it, the way you are talking Derek seemed to me the right way also...but dang
the way the sat wire goes is more visually appealing to me....lol
Rodney

Derek

Hey there, trainrider....in all seriousness, your helicopter would probably fly just fine with the satellite in the orientation that you have. It's just that "ideally", you want to have your antennas going opposite directions so that you can maximize your signal reception. I flew my 500 with my antennas parallel to each other for probably a good year or so. It wasn't until much later that I read about having the antenna orientations opposite of each other and I made the change.

amastron

Thanks to all, i knew someone would have a idea. I have it on the left side just aft of the motor with the antennas up and down.
I hid the wire inside the frame, just for you Tony!

trainrider06

Hey there, trainrider....in all seriousness, your helicopter would probably fly just fine with the satellite in the orientation that you have. It's just that "ideally", you want to have your antennas going opposite directions so that you can maximize your signal reception. I flew my 500 with my antennas parallel to each other for probably a good year or so. It wasn't until much later that I read about having the antenna orientations opposite of each other and I made the change.
Well that's where I got confused Derek, if you look my wires are opposite of the smaller wire...I wasn't sure which wire
they were talking about on the BeastX the longer wire or shorter one....they need to have picture books for slow-bee's like
me! lol...
Rodney

- - - Updated - - -

hahaha, the word is spreading about my OCD huh? :biggrin1:

Oh shoot, we all have our little :):):)'s we tat over...lol
Myself am a freak on wire routing...don't mind exposed, just as long as they are routed nicely.
It took me 4 days of just sitting looking moving wires looking moving thinking, moving...
It was maddening!

amastron

hahaha, the word is spreading about my OCD huh? :biggrin1:

I remembered a video of yours I had watched, DX6i & CCPM Full Setup Part 5 when I was building a Align 450. At near the end you mentioned if you posted a picture in the forum to 'Clean up the wires'. I only need to be told once!:thinkerg:

Tony

Staff member
hahaha, I'm going to have to check that video out and get a refresher on what I said lol.

Top Bottom