General Fiberglass canopy's

Adam

So if your canopy gets weakened from a crash instead of just buying a new on what about painting a thin layer of epoxy on the inside. Will this work?
For a minor crack/bend in it.

Tony

Staff member
Get yourself some fiberglass resin. It will soak into the original fiberglass better than the epoxy will. Also if you would get some thin sheets of fiberglass, I would put one layer of resin down, one sheet of glass, then another layer of resin to seat it in just to beef it up. Or you can send me the canopy and I will do a video on how to do this lol. No telling when I would get it back to you though lmao.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, I'm quick like the wind :chuckles:

Lee

I did mine with superglue and toilet paper :) just squirt some glue over the damaged area and lay on a few sheets. Once its dry, just rub of the tissue that didnt soak up any glue. Worked for me :)

stokke

You now have a perfect excuse to get a mod-canopy :D
Unless you love the original Align one?

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Like tiny said get a fiberglass repair kit.. Any auto store should have it. Just later by layer fix it.

Before all that though heli direct is having a sale of some canopied for like 1/5 of the price on some.. I think they are canomod.. Like for my vibe 50.. A canomod usually 75 bucks is just. 20 instead of repairing one ill just order the new one and keep the one I got was a beater and repair it with superglue and tp... ;) like lee did!

Nice idea btw lee! Thats interesting.

Now this might make some people cringe but what I do many times is I line the whole insides of my fiberglass canopies with clear packaging tape. Like every inch of it with long strips. That has made my canopies very resistant to crashes .. That slows ESP on my 450 when my blades boom and everything broke but my canopy was untouched. ;)

Adam

you bet ya marius I just haven't gotten around to picking one out but yes I do like the align one for now

murankar

Staff member
Just to let you know, I used to lay glass and resin myself. Make sure you are well protected not just from the glass but the resin. I found out that I was allergic to the resin not long after starting the job and had to quit because of it.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Man I rebuilt the entire floor of my 23 foot boat a few years ago with fiberglass resin and glass sheets! My most anoying thing about working with glass is using gloves and protective clothing. Plus a good mask! The glass will make you itch like crazy if you get it on your skin! Not good to breath the sanding dust iether! It will mess up your lungs quick! So make sure you protect yourself. Or do what Lee said with superglue, Or CA has the hobby shops call it and tissue. That to me seams that it will be plenty strong enough for a canopy! Lol

Tony

Staff member
Yeah breathing in the glass fibers will cause your lungs to bleed and possibly cause an infection. However, I don't think that will happen with something as small as a canopy lol. But as always, safety first.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I'm just thinking probublly sanding in the work shop with out any ventilation, you know! You can never get the glass to ay flat. You allways have to sand the rough edges off!

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Oops tony you scared me there. I have been kind of breathing g10 which I think is fibre glass to right? I have been sanding and cutting g10 frame to get the vibe frame fixed in my apartment. Oops.. It's not the fibre glass powder but is g10..

Again. Oops!!

Tony

Staff member
I'm just thinking probublly sanding in the work shop with out any ventilation, you know! You can never get the glass to ay flat. You allways have to sand the rough edges off!

Yup, I know exactly what you are saying. I hate working with glass and try not to whenever possible.

Oops tony you scared me there. I have been kind of breathing g10 which I think is fibre glass to right? I have been sanding and cutting g10 frame to get the vibe frame fixed in my apartment. Oops.. It's not the fibre glass powder but is g10..

Again. Oops!!

In all honesty, anything that creates dust, you should wear a mask. When I destroyed the HK450POS, I snapped the carbon rods for the tail boom and dust came flying out of everywhere. No cutting, no sanding, just snapping. Always think of what you are breathing in. Down in the coal mines, they called it "Iron Lung" and no matter what you are breathing in, it's not fun.

Adam

And i just checked a mod canopy the 12 dollar ones and wouldnt you know it that it is an 18 dollar shipping charge lol

Top Bottom